Deferring Surgical residency for Fulbright

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iamg

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all you wonderful people!
I have been a long time (read years) silent reader of SDN and this is my first post. I have a bit of a complicated question to ask you so please bear with me...

Background
I am an IMG (from a Western country) and graduated from medical school 2years ago. I am soon taking my Step1 and will be following it up with Step2CK and CS in order to submit my application in September 2014 for the 2015 match. I am only interested in Surgery at the top 20-30 hospitals associated with universities (since the university I did my MD from is already in top 50 in the world and also because some of these institutions offer the exact programme structures I seek).

I am also genuinely very interested in undertaking MPH (at some point in my career) and have a good practical experience in the field. I will therefore be applying for a Fulbright scholarship this year and from my background and references it seems like I have a pretty good chance of being awarded the Fulbright.

Timeline
Residency and Fulbright applications will be due in September 2014
Fulbright results come out in October/November 2014
Residency interviews will be October-January 2014/2015

Questions
If everything goes well and I am able to get the Fulbright for MPH (in October):
option 1) Can I request Residency programmes to defer my admission for 1 year? ie would this be a good enough reason for deferment at a top surgical residency programme?
option 2) Can I alternatively write to programme directors explaining my situation (in October/November) and then withdraw my application? If I am able to withdraw can I reapply to these top surgical programmes in September 2015 after my MPH without any negative implications of withdrawing the previous year?

[The reason for applying to both Fulbright and residency is that I don't want to be in a situation where I count too much on my chances at Fulbright and decide to wait for a year for a match and in the end don't end up getting the Fulbright either]

option 3) does anyone know if Fulbright can be deferred for a year or two? (in case above options are not viable).

Your advice is much appreciated. Thank you all for your 2cents from the world of medicine and beyond on this website.

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.