1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Deferring

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by Vlade, Apr 14, 2000.

1. Vlade

Vlade Junior Member

Hi. I have been accepted to med. school for this fall, but would like to defer. Anyone have any info. about how willing schools are to let people defer, when you should let them know, etc...thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. alina

alina Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

I'm deferring for two years for the Peace Corps. I tried to find out as much as I could about schools' deferral policies before I applied (without actually asking, since schools might toss my application if they knew I didn't intend to enroll the next fall). Most schools do allow deferrals, provided that the dean approves your plan. Some seemed more liberal about it than others- CWRU lets almost anyone defer while UCSF approves only certain cases. There are also a few schools that don't allow deferrals at all- BU comes to mind- but this was stated in the MCAR handbook. You should decide soon though because the dean would probably be less willing to grant a deferral if you didn't give enough notice to allow him/her to find another student for your spot. Hope this helps.