Define "rural area"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jochi1543

President, Gunner Central
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I live in a 70,000 city which is classified as a "town." The nearest "city" city (pop over 100,000) is 180 miles away. The second closest "city" is 400 miles away. Here's what it looks like once I drive 3 miles away from my house.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a141/Jochi1543/Picture051.jpg

Outside of the fact that we have a heap of cow dung outside the city limits, a flooded cemetery is used as a fish pond, and that if I had a dime for any time someone referred to my current hometown as a "****hole," can I officially claim rural residency in my PS or in my interviews? I've seen a great variation in the definition of "rural," and my current hometown falls under some and is excluded from others. I want to make sure people don't think I'm lying or exaggerating, so I wanted to hear others opinions. I think the main thing that's preventing this place from being forgotten by god and city slickers is the fact that we have a university.

Members don't see this ad.

OK, so one of the govt links provided on that page says less than 1000 people per square mile. Ours is in kilometers....553 people per square km. Anyone care to convert?:laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
"rural" (less than 99 persons per square mile)

That's lightyears away from the "less than 1000 people per square mile" definition.:confused:

1 sq mile = 2.59 sq km

553 people x 2.59 sq km = 1432.27 people/ sq mile
1 sq km 1 sq mile

You may not live in a rural area but you probably live in a medically underserved area. (Although a lot of the US is underserved, so maybe thats not worth claiming).

You may not live in a rural area but you probably live in a medically underserved area. (Although a lot of the US is underserved, so maybe thats not worth claiming).
I'm sorry, but I just found this:

"*my town* has the densest concentration of livestock anywhere in Canada"

:laugh:

if i remember right the amcas classifies your residence area by county, and it sounds possible that your county could be rural, except do you guys even have counties up there? also, i like your flag

if i remember right the amcas classifies your residence area by county, and it sounds possible that your county could be rural, except do you guys even have counties up there? also, i like your flag
The Alberta flag or the Canada flag?

Yeah, we have counties....and municipalities. My municipality's motto is "choice farming and ranching." Not kidding.:laugh:

Well, at least for the US, AMCAS lists residence by county, and then classifies it as Rural (R) or Underserved (U) on your application, which you can see before you submit it. Not sure about Canada though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, at least for the US, AMCAS lists residence by county, and then classifies it as Rural (R) or Underserved (U) on your application, which you can see before you submit it. Not sure about Canada though.
"Igloo" or "cave," I hear.:laugh:

I'm sure AMCAS wouldn't have anything for Canada, they don't deal with Canadian schools, and the # of Canadian applicants is not that high.

The Alberta flag or the Canada flag?

Yeah, we have counties....and municipalities. My municipality's motto is "choice farming and ranching." Not kidding.:laugh:

here in america we're only vaguely aware that other countries contain subdivisions that, in theory, could have their own flags. really we're only vaguely aware of other countries generally. so, maple leaf. i wish our flag had some foliage

here in america we're only vaguely aware that other countries contain subdivisions that, in theory, could have their own flags. really we're only vaguely aware of other countries generally. so, maple leaf. i wish our flag had some foliage
AB flag:

http://www.flagfocus.info/worldflags-large/flag-Canada-Alberta-detail.gif

Honestly, you'd be surprised....while some people here will know lots about the US compared to what Americans know about Canada, it's quite easily explained by the fact that US TV networks (like Fox) are prevalent, while the US doesn't really get much from Canada (or anywhere else, really). However, before I moved here from the US, I've heard all kinds of BS perpetuated by Canadians about how lots of Americans have never been out of the US and all Canadians are so well-traveled, etc. But in reality, in the one year I've been here, I've met TONS of people who have only left their PROVINCE once (and no, we're not talking the farmer types, either), and have not been outside Canada at all (but of course hold all kinds of opinions about Americans, hehe). Most of these folks also happen to live an hour or two away from the border, which makes it even more ridiculous.

Alberta is a total prarie state. I think you can define where you live as rural. Calgary isn't even a big city relatively speaking.

Alberta is a total prarie state. I think you can define where you live as rural. Calgary isn't even a big city relatively speaking.
With a population of 991,000 it falls behind 8 US cities, so I don't think it's "not a big city," even "relatively." It's also the 3rd largest city in Canada, and #1 (Toronto) has a population greater than ANY US city.

With a population of 991,000 it falls behind 8 US cities, so I don't think it's "not a big city," even "relatively." It's also the 3rd largest city in Canada, and #1 (Toronto) has a population greater than ANY US city.

Lol, I stand corrected.

I just found out that most Canadians live within 90mi of the US/Canada border. The population of Canada as a whole is less than the state of California. Canada is the second largest country in the world. Talk about being sparsely populated!

I just found out that most Canadians live within 90mi of the US/Canada border. The population of Canada as a whole is less than the state of California. Canada is the second largest country in the world. Talk about being sparsely populated!
Yes, it's pretty cold up there, which is why. I think Edmonton is the northernmost large city (over 500,000), and it's about a 6-hour drive from the border. Once you leave Edmonton, it's all just bush, lakes, and oil rigs.

Yes, it's pretty cold up there, which is why. I think Edmonton is the northernmost large city (over 500,000), and it's about a 6-hour drive from the border. Once you leave Edmonton, it's all just bush, lakes, and oil rigs.

Okay, my initial statement about Calgary not being super big was actually directed towards Edmonton. I knew one of them was around 1/2 a mill but I thought that Edmonton was the bigger one.

Okay, my initial statement about Calgary not being super big was actually directed towards Edmonton. I knew one of them was around 1/2 a mill but I thought that Edmonton was the bigger one.
I like Edmonton better. Though Calgary is much closer to me, I freaking hate it. It's overpopulated - the real estate market is out of control and the infrastructure is not suited for the current population level. It's also located in a bowl, which means it's filled with smog constantly (until of course the daily 100 mph wind comes and blows it all our way *grumbles*). I had all these ideas about how I was gonna drive there every other weekend to "have fun," but since I moved to AB, I've gone there 4 times to:

1) write the MCAT
2) fly to Vancouver from their airport (ours is too small and it's cheaper to drive than fly to Calgary from here because my car's great on gas)
3) fly to the US
4) pass it on the way to Edmonton

I like Edmonton better. Though Calgary is much closer to me, I freaking hate it. It's overpopulated - the real estate market is out of control and the infrastructure is not suited for the current population level. It's also located in a bowl, which means it's filled with smog constantly (until of course the daily 100 mph wind comes and blows it all our way *grumbles*). I had all these ideas about how I was gonna drive there every other weekend to "have fun," but since I moved to AB, I've gone there 4 times to:

1) write the MCAT
2) fly to Vancouver from their airport (ours is too small and it's cheaper to drive than fly to Calgary from here because my car's great on gas)
3) fly to the US
4) pass it on the way to Edmonton

So you are the guy that writes the MCAT??? Why did you make the physical scieneces on the May 11 exam so messed up? Also, what do they pay you for creating those passages?

So you are the guy that writes the MCAT??? Why did you make the physical scieneces on the May 11 exam so messed up? Also, what do they pay you for creating those passages?
Ok, how about this:

1) to click and to type the MCAT

No, you are not rural. Don't lie. You are a city slicker.