Definition of "Several"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShyRem

I need more coffee.
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, I now know what Vermont's definition of 'several' is. It's 20.5. Yup, 20 1/2 weeks from the time my application was "complete and under review. You'll hear from us in the next several weeks" until the rejection letter.

Several my a**.

Members don't see this ad.

ShyRem said:
Well, I now know what Vermont's definition of 'several' is. It's 20.5. Yup, 20 1/2 weeks from the time my application was "complete and under review. You'll hear from us in the next several weeks" until the rejection letter.

Several my a**.

Im sorry Shyrem. VCU will come through for you, forget about vermont.

I thought about this some days ago. I think several has to be between 5 and 15. Once you pass a certain point, "several" turns into "many". I wouldn't consider someone who applied to, say, 20 schools to have applied to "several". 20+ is "a lot" or "many". Seven is several. It's also alliterative!

And forget about Vermont. Why go to a school that thinks of "several" as 20.5? Imagine the professor in an anatomy class of 30....

"Several of you failed this week's test..."

See what I mean? :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
ShyRem said:

Several my a**.

Sorry to hear that ShyRem, but at least you know what they mean by "several" now, and you don't have to stay up nights wondering anymore.

I hope you hear some good news from VCU soon.

Rafa said:
I thought about this some days ago. I think several has to be between 5 and 15. Once you pass a certain point, "several" turns into "many". I wouldn't consider someone who applied to, say, 20 schools to have applied to "several". 20+ is "a lot" or "many". Seven is several. It's also alliterative!

And forget about Vermont. Why go to a school that thinks of "several" as 20.5? Imagine the professor in an anatomy class of 30....

"Several of you failed this week's test..."

See what I mean? :laugh:
:laugh: :laugh:

count me in on that one. got the little thin envelope a few minutes ago.

several, my ass. i was complete in july. i counted, and it's been 26.5 weeks for me.

and that rejection letter! the yuckiest i have yet to receive out of the 9 total so far. even though it was on paper, it was worse thn the email ones. something about the wording.

sorry, shyrem. i feel your pain.

Ha. "Several" for UCLA is "from the end of July until now". "Several" for JHU is 2 weeks more.

Not that I'm expecting good news from EITHER of these schools, despite one of them being my alma mater, but it's the absurdity of the length of time that's amusing.

That's crappy. I'd call 20 weeks "many weeks", not several, but I think it's fair game for them to use the word several...

My understanding of the term is that several means four or more. I always go by the convention couple = 2, few = 3, and several = 4+.

crazy_cavalier said:
That's crappy. I'd call 20 weeks "many weeks", not several, but I think it's fair game for them to use the word several...

My understanding of the term is that several means four or more. I always go by the convention couple = 2, few = 3, and several = 4+.
I agree. At least George Washington had the decency to say "please be aware that it may be a while until you hear from us again."
So far that means 7 weeks. I'm not expecting anything any time soon.

Personally, i'd go up there and give them several swift kicks to the ass

noonday said:
count me in on that one. got the little thin envelope a few minutes ago.

several, my ass. i was complete in july. i counted, and it's been 26.5 weeks for me.

and that rejection letter! the yuckiest i have yet to receive out of the 9 total so far. even though it was on paper, it was worse thn the email ones. something about the wording.

sorry, shyrem. i feel your pain.
I am right there with ya. Freakin drag me along for 26+ weeks and then kick me in the jimmy. Ouch. Say it with me Rem...VCU!