Degree granting graduate school programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

impatient1484

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was reading the Tulane secondary that said they required graduate students in degree granting programs to complete their degree before matriculation. Right now I am in a MPH program that I am not if I will have completed by the time I matriculate, but have been assured by my MPH advisor that I can complete the degree the summer after my first year of medical school ( I may just have the thesis paper or a course or two to finish up). Does anyone know of other schools like Tulane that have strict policies about completing graduate school work before entering med. school? Is this a common thing I was not aware of?

Members don't see this ad.

Have you tried calling Tulane and maybe speaking to either the admissions staff or a dean? Considering that the summer after 1st year is usually free at most medical schools, I wouldn't think that your situation is unacceptable at all. As far as I know, after going through secondaries and MSAR, I didn't come across any school that outright states you have to be done before matriculation, but I guess it might be like an implied thing.

I spoke to some adcom members about this and I get the feeling they are pretty adamant about graduate students finishing their coursework before matriculation, specifically because they don't want to "steal" students away from these programs. I'm in grad school right now and I'm trying to finish my grad project by next summer. It wouldn't hurt to check with all the schools you are applying to about this.