Degree in 3 BSW - Now What?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yelle

Student
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So long story short - I am finishing a BSW in three years.

The thing is, my credits are all wonky. For instance, after this Spring semester finished I will be considered a junior. This is where my problem arises. How do I apply for grad school this Fall if I'm only technically speaking a junior? Is that even allowed?

I will be graduating next summer (Summer '14) after finishing my practicum. And I want to go to grad school the fall immediately after, which means I'd need to apply this fall. But unless I take 25 credits over the summer, I won't be considered a senior. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Devin

Members don't see this ad.

Check the requirements of the grad schools, but as long as your BSW program is CSWE accredited, you should be fine. I do find that a bit odd that you were able to finish a BSW program in three years....a ton of general ed classes are usually crammed in there. Is your school regionally accredited?

Yes. It is regionally accredited. I took a lot of general ed classes in high school and knocked them out. And tons of summer classes. So I don't have to be at 90 credits to apply for grad school?

You should be ok, those advanced courses and summer classes from high school were probably transferred into your bachelor program as transfer credit. Basically, you will have 90 credits, just in a odd way. Check your official transcript and look for transferred credits. Make sure though to contact the admissions person at each school your applying to. Your situation is not common, so some schools may not have policy in place for situations such as yours. As long as you talk to them about it, you should be fine.