Degree in both School and Clinical Psychology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aestheticism

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Back again :)

I read a recent post on here with someone asking "Can School Psychology (master courses) be accepted into a Clinical Psychology PhD program?"

I wanted opinions and feedback on if this is a good decision?
Is it a pro/con to earn a EdS in School Psych then apply to a Clinical or Counseling Psych program?
(If the person is interested in working in academic settings)

I would assume it's a pro because you'll be getting experience from both sides of the spectrum in the mental health/counseling setting, then as well as school or university settings.

Members don't see this ad.

You'll likely not transfer most of those credits. I wouldn't recommend it unless you go from school psych EdS to school psych doctorate. Even then you'll probably only transfer half(ish) of the 60+ credits at most.

According to the APA website UC, Santa Barbara and Utah State University have accredited combined programs. Depending on what your specific goals are that might be easier and more cost effective.

There is also James Madison. It's a PsyD but it's fully funded. (Or was when I applied a few years ago, at least). Ball State also allows its school psych students to take credits through their counseling program and complete counseling practica, so you can essentially tailor your program of study to be a combined program.