Degrees of unsaturation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nickh

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

For C16H13ClN2O, I know how to calculate degrees of unsaturation. The first time when I the answer wrong was because I read the Cl as in C and I (as in you and I), rather than CL. So during the actual test, is there anyway you can easily tell it's a chlorine rather than a carbon and iodine? Because they could've just threw some random elements together.

Sorry for this off topic questions, but 1 question wrong is wrong question wrong uneven though it's not because you don't know the concept :(

Members don't see this ad.

In terms of your question, Im not sure what you totally mean but all I can say is just be careful and read it right? The actual test is pretty clear....

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys,

For C16H13ClN2O, I know how to calculate degrees of unsaturation. The first time when I the answer wrong was because I read the Cl as in C and I (as in you and I), rather than CL. So during the actual test, is there anyway you can easily tell it's a chlorine rather than a carbon and iodine? Because they could've just threw some random elements together.

Sorry for this off topic questions, but 1 question wrong is wrong question wrong uneven though it's not because you don't know the concept :(

Last edited:
If it were Carbon and Iodine, you would expect the carbon to be included with the other 16 carbons.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

For questions involving degrees of unsaturation, you are not likely to be misled on connectivity. Normally, each atom will stand alone.