Delay Applying to Medical School??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dream2BMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello All,

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions. I'm new to SDN but I'm certainly glad a forum like this exists. At the moment I'm studying for the 2012 August 23rd MCAT (using the SN2ed study schedule) and the sheer amount of material makes me wonder if I shouldn't consider delaying the application process for a couple of years.....giving me more time to study for the test and also allowing me extra opportunities to volunteer and shadow. So I guess my first question is whether or not this would be a good idea? My stats as of now are:
--3.76 cgpa
--3.62 sgpa
--1 year research with publication
--1 year hospice volunteering
--60 hours shadowing
--TA for Ochem and Senior prep TA for organic labs/Treasurer of university honor society

I still have a year left of undergraduate education (currently a rising senior) so I would be taking the MCAT the August after I graduate next year (August 2013) and waiting till that following spring to apply once the application process opens. This would put me at about 24 at the time of entrance into medical school.

Sorry for all the information but I thought it necessary to offer up as much info as possible! My second question would be....how would I go about getting letters of recommendation from professors if I'm to wait two years after undergrad to apply to medical school? Can I request letters and have them stored somewhere till I decide to apply?

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my questions! I'm so glad I stumbled onto this website....it's a lifesaver!

With all my thanks,

Dream2BMD

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yeah, you would have a significantly stronger app if you did delay. You'll be a pretty late app this year, which will significantly hurt your chances, and if you don't get a stellar MCAT score you'll have very little chance.

How hands-on is your hospice volunteering? If not that much, then I'd strongly recommend EMT/CNA/Phleb/etc. to get more hands-on clinical experience, which many schools seem to really be looking for these days.

You could take the MCAT next year between Jan-May and still apply early in the 2013-2014 app cycle. If you want to take two years off though that's fine, and both your MCAT score and EC's will benefit greatly.

You have a very solid foundation right now. If you want to go the MD route (which I assume you do) then I wouldn't apply this year and take one year off for sure, maybe two. If you go that route (and maybe increase your sGPA some your senior year), you'll have a great shot.

Not sure about the LOR question. That sounds like a good idea (asking them to write it and hold it for a year or two), but I don't know how it's normally done.

Why don't you just apply in the summer of next year? It sounds like a waste of a year to wait yet another cycle to apply.

About the LORs, you can use a service called interfolio (interfolio.com) that stores your letters for a fee of $20/year which is worth it when you consider the overall cost of application (thousands). This will allow you to store your letters for years. Be warned though, at some schools, the strength of a letter deteriorates with every year. If you are going to be out of school for two years, then you will probably need an employer LOR as well.

About the MCAT, if you take it now then you likely won't do well but you might do okay. If you feel like you are strong enough, then go for it but the score will likely come out in late September and that is very late in the application cycle. There is a chance that you can get in but it can be slim depending on how you portray yourself in your essays and interview.

Waiting to get everything in order sounds like a good idea but if you want to apply then you can go for it, just understand that it is a risk.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello All,

My second question would be....how would I go about getting letters of recommendation from professors if I'm to wait two years after undergrad to apply to medical school? Can I request letters and have them stored somewhere till I decide to apply?

Dream2BMD

Make an interfolio account. It is an online portfolio service that AMCAS recognizes and accepts letters from. Once your writers have finished your letters, they can send it to interfolio and they will be stored there for as long as you have an active account (costs a little bit of money...can't remember exactly how much. Maybe $20?). When you are ready, you can use interfolio to send your letters to AMCAS.

EDIT: Looks like someone already beat me to it haha

Thank you so much for all of the suggestions! I had a feeling that delaying might be a good idea.....sometimes it just feels good to have other medically-oriented individuals confirm it!

With all my thanks,

Dream2BMD :)