Delay ERAS submission to include a publication?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrDarwin

Naturally selected
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I believe WS and APD would tell you that you cannot list this under Publications in any case until it is actually accepted for publication. I.e., the act of submission to a journal does not move it from Experience section to Publication section.

By that reasoning, you should not delay it.

You could also just list it as an Experience with an expected submission date/month.

I am currently working on a case report for a journal which the editor has already agreed to publish once it is completed. I spoke with the chief resident I am working on it with and based on his recommendation, I listed it under publications as "provisional accepted" and in the title added that it is "in progress." It should be done by the time I actually interview. I don't have other publications and it seemed worthwhile to mention, however I didn't want to mislead anyone about it's actual status. I'm curious to hear if other people think this was the right approach to take. I didn't think I could list it as an "experience" or I might have considered that option. I hope I didn't make a mistake listing it this way...I tried to be clear about the fact that it isn't done and published yet. Anyway, ERAS gives you the option to list publications as "submitted" or "provisional accepted" (under "journal articles- other than published" or something like that) so if the OP is working on something that has not yet been published, this may be an option for him/her as well.

Thanks for the replies. Ms. S, I think what you did was fine. I was thinking of doing something similar once I have submitted the manuscript. As long as you do not miscategorize anything and/or mislead people, I think it's fine.

I believe WS and APD would tell you that you cannot list this under Publications in any case until it is actually accepted for publication. I.e., the act of submission to a journal does not move it from Experience section to Publication section.

By that reasoning, you should not delay it.

You could also just list it as an Experience with an expected submission date/month.

ERAS seems to have a "submitted" option in its publications section. However I agree with the prior poster that you should probably just put it into the experience section where you list this research position, because things you expect to get done in October have a nasty way of not happening until November, and the acceptance of publication won't happen until months later (if it is accepted, which is never a certainty in the peer reviewed world). If you had said you were submitting it this week, and it was totally within your control, my answer would be different. But since you are talking next month, and it involves a PI and other people, which makes it a soft October deadline, I say go without it.

I believe WS and APD would tell you that you cannot list this under Publications in any case until it is actually accepted for publication.

That was before I found out that there is actually a section for "submitted" publications in ERAS. Since there is a section for it, you can obviously list submitted papers.

Whether you should do so is unclear. If your paper gets accepted, then at your interview you get to be proud. If your paper gets rejected, then you have the fun of explaining this at your interviews. This isn't horrible -- everyone gets papers rejected. But still, it's less than ideal. I guess the question is whether PD's will be impressed by "submitted" research. Personally, I'm much more interested in your clinical skills, but other programs might be more impressed by it.