Delay in Committee Letter Upload

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ray Med

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I’ve already submitted several secondary apps, and am working to turn out a few more in the upcoming days. My problem is that I am applying with a committee letter (all of my letters of reference will be included in this one packet), and I’ve just learned that my pre-medical committee will not have the packet uploaded to AMCAS until the second week of July (a little over two weeks from now). I’m aware of the importance of having my application completed as soon as possible, and understand the general advice is no more than two weeks after receiving a secondary. Without my packet being uploaded until the second week of July, my application will not be complete at some school until 3 weeks after receiving my secondary applications. My question: is this likely to damage my chances or misrepresent my interest in the school to the admissions committees?

I know I am worrying about something outside of my control, and complaining of problems that are much less than what some of my peers are facing. I’m just trying to get an idea of what I should expect.

I appreciate any insight you have to offer.

Members don't see this ad.

Many committee letters are not sent in until late August or even early Sept in some cases. Med schools know this, it will not hurt you at all.

Reactions: 1 user
Many committee letters are not sent in until late August or even early Sept in some cases. Med schools know this, it will not hurt you at all.
Thank you, Toutie! It is good to hear my chances will not be hurt by this. I have received a few emails from schools specifically requesting letters (Mayo for example). Do you think it would be prudent to respond to them and explain the delay? Or should I leave it until my letters are uploaded in two weeks?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, Toutie! It is good to hear my chances will not be hurt by this. I have received a few emails from schools specifically requesting letters (Mayo for example). Do you think it would be prudent to respond to them and explain the delay? Or should I leave it until my letters are uploaded in two weeks?
If they sent an email specifically asking for it, you can respond and (briefly) explain the delay to them.

To jump off this question, would it really matter when we turn in the secondaries then? If we submit them in two weeks but the application isnt complete until August, does it really matter when secondaries are in?

No, I wouldn't contact Mayo and explain this to them (because they aren't very receptive to phone calls and because it's not necessary).

Last year, my primary and secondaries were all in and complete by August 1. My committee letter wasn't received by all of my schools until very late August. I therefore wasn't marked "complete" at any schools until very late August. It worked out fine for me. Most schools understand that the committee letter is out of your control and won't hold it against you.

I know it's really stressful, but try not to panic. Everything will be okay :) Good luck!!

Just wanted to add my two cents in - my committee letter was also delayed and I wasn't marked complete until mid-late September (my secondaries were all submitted July/August). Things worked out OK for me. Don't wait until the last minute to submit your secondaries though.

Thank you everyone for your advice! I really appreciate all of the help! I'll keep knocking out secondaries and turn down my stress about the committee letter.