Delay MCAT? (How much time needed to raise B/B?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aklvkk

C&H85
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
-deleted-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
PR has deflated scores. If you got a 505 on PR, I expect you to get a 510+ on AAMC scored
Take the AAMC scored exam and judge your performance off that before you reschedule. Good luck

Reactions: 1 users
Hello everyone,

I took a practice test today (PR MCAT Review Test #1) and scored a 505 (C/P: 126, CARS: 128, B/B: 124, P/S: 127). I'm very weak in Bio and Biochem especially because I haven't done as strong of a content review in this area. However, I feel pretty confident in the other sections. My target score is 515+.

My scheduled test date is August 25th. I'm considering delaying this to September 9th to grant myself a few more days of studying or just cancelling the exam (for a partial refund) and rescheduling it to early April (I can't do the January test date for personal reasons). I've been involved in full-time research while I was studying for the exam, but the program ends in early August, giving me 3 weeks of pure studying time until the test.

I've already invested so much time and energy into this that I'm hesitant about rescheduling. Rescheduling to April also means doing some studying throughout the school year, which will be tougher. However, I'm severely lacking in Bio/Biochem content (I underestimated how much time it would take me to study the material...), and I'm afraid that I won't be able to bring the score up by test day. Furthermore, there is no rush to take the exam since I just need a score by next year June and I'll have winter break (~6 weeks) and spring break (~2 weeks) for studying.

Tldr; Has anyone had a similar experience where they had a low Bio/Biochem score but was able to raise it significantly in time (~5 weeks)?
(I've audited a biochem class but I haven't studied for it seriously)

Thank you for reading through this... I've been stressing about this, probably more than I should.
First of all, TPR has a deflated score and you shouldn't take it into account. I raised my TPR B/B score from 125 to 129 in 3 weeks by working on Molecular Biology in depth since I missed almost all my questions due to that. Also I worked on understanding what they were asking in the questions since I knew most of the material. Basically just by working out my weak areas I started doing a lot better.

Reactions: 1 user
It's possible if you focus on B/B, but you have to work hard. Or you can reschedule and have this MCAT thing to deal with in the back of your mind for the next 7-8 months. Pick your poison.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that you should take the AAMC scored test and see how you do... my scored test and my actual test were within one point from each other. If you get a score that is in your ideal range I would take the test at the scheduled time. If your score is unsatisfactory still, delay.

thank you everyone! I think I'm going to keep my August test date then and really focus on studying B/B and take an AAMC FL to see how well I do.