1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Delay mcat? I am so lost

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by zzzcor, Aug 8, 2011.

1. zzzcor

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    I have mcat in two weeks and I am so frustrated and exhausted because i'm stuck and not improving for more than a month now.

following are the aamc scores from aamc 3 - 7

13/7/14 34
    13/9/12 34
    13/9/12 34
    13/10/12 35
    13/8/12 33

I'm utterly stunned (WTF) at the consistency and just can't improve anymore
    people say there's a jump but I just can't make it
    I am also frustrated verbal didn't change much from the very beginning

I am aiming for 37+ and I am scared I might just waste my aamc's without every achieving 37 before aamc 11

Should I just delay it to Winter and just go little slowly? and try to improve verbal over time... Also on PS and BS why can't I just get couple more questions.. every test couple of the questions are dumb errors but since I'm making them consistently, there gotta be definitely reason, but can't figure
    Help please

#1 zzzcor, Aug 8, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Bumbl3b33

Removed

Medical Student
    Same thing is happening to me, except i'm lower on the scale than you (10s consistently)

As for sciences you've been doing great! VR, honestly I would just go in the day of and try your best. The difference between 36-37+ is a couple of questions, you'll never have that kind of control over your score regardless.

4. zzzcor

2+ Year Member

yeah.. and it really irks me...
    does anyone have any idea?
    It's really serious for me.. I am scared of wasting more AAMC when my VR is not going to go up.. Should I just keep studying and take it or delay to winter or something and try to get better on reading in general..?

5. vayntraubinator

2+ Year Member

MDApps:
    You're ready man. Take it and give it your best. VR is the only thing that's stopping you, and that is IMO too difficult to change because it is a skill set. At a certain point you cannot improve.

While with more practice you might score a bit better on VR, ultimately I would not risk throwing away a summer's study. There are tons of people who score 10s, 11s consistently in practice and get 7-9. VR is out of your control. Just do the best you can do now and if you fluked up VR, you can always try even harder. I don't see the point of delaying though :luck:

6. kehlsh

kehlsh Medic Commando
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    there's a high chance of getting lower end of the verbal because of nerves and because real mcat has longer passages...

if you are aiming for a 30+, you def. have a good shot... but for a 37+ you need to have scored at least 37's in the practice AAMC's.... (with 10+'s on verbal) Trust me, verbal on the real thing is not going to get easier.

7. commodores12

EKs Verbal 101 helped me a lot. The very first verbal I took, I scored a 7. Got that up to 11-12 in 3 weeks by doing EK every other day. Scored 11 on the real thing, which I'm fine with. There are def question types that come up over and over with the same set of distractors. For example, I figured out that I sometimes answered questions with an answers that were outside the scope of the passage. You're ready for the science. Stop studying it. or at least do Verbal-70% Science-30% for the next two weeks.

Do a practice, timed EK Verbal 101 test and the score/review it right after and then review it again the next day. If you're good at analyzing things, you might notice you are making the same types of mistakes over and over.

My advise, use EK Verbal every day for the next two weeks making sure that you spend a lot of time analyzing what you got wrong as well as what you got right. Aim for scoring a 10 with consistency. Take the test, don't delay it.

8. macsta

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    You are pretty close to a 37. When you get to those mid to upper 30's each question carries a lot of weight.

9. paul411

paul411 ANES
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    You should have started VR prep a while back using EK101. It will probably keep you from that 37+ you're aiming for.

Since you're open to delaying the test, if you're serious about getting that 37+, I'd do a lot of VR prep before taking the real thing.

10. zzzcor

2+ Year Member

Thing is I have been doing Ek and everything...
    But I'm still having hard time understanding passages.. If I understand the meaning of every words and sentence, I would probably do much better but there are many words and sentence structures that confuse me as an ESL.

Hope I get lucky and pull off 10 on the real thing.. such thing happens right? lol

11. zzzcor

2+ Year Member

whoa first 37 with 14/9/14 on aamc9

personally thought VR9 was so hard