• Scariest Story Contest

Now that it's getting close to Halloween, we're running a contest to hear your scariest stories! These can be scary stories that you've experienced or stories that you've heard and the story with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Delay my application or not?

hardworker101

10+ Year Member
May 22, 2005
    Hi
    I need advice. I have been recently thinking of delaying my application to med school.
    I finished two years at community college. I am now at a University and my original plan was to apply after junior year to enter med school after graduation.
    My premed advisor said for transfer students from community college it is better to wait one more year to have 2 years of science credits on records for review when you apply instead of only one year of university courses.
    I am also applying to lot of private (top) schools?
    Some of these schools don't think of community college credits as hard as university classes, i believe.
    What would you have done?
    What should I do the extra free time after graduation?

If I decided to apply one year late, do you guys think taking the mcat in aug 06 cause any problem with the computer based mcat coming 07, which is the year I am applying?
    thanks in advance

MrBurns10

Excellent, Smithers
    Moderator Emeritus
    10+ Year Member
    7+ Year Member
    Jul 14, 2005
    www.espn.com
    1. Resident [Any Field]
      arminshivazad said:
      Hi
      I need advice. I have been recently thinking of delaying my application to med school.
      I finished two years at community college. I am now at a University and my original plan was to apply after junior year to enter med school after graduation.
      My premed advisor said for transfer students from community college it is better to wait one more year to have 2 years of science credits on records for review when you apply instead of only one year of university courses.
      I am also applying to lot of private (top) schools?
      Some of these schools don't think of community college credits as hard as university classes, i believe.
      What would you have done?
      What should I do the extra free time after graduation?

If I decided to apply one year late, do you guys think taking the mcat in aug 06 cause any problem with the computer based mcat coming 07, which is the year I am applying?
      thanks in advance
      If you want to go to a top tier school, then I think you should definitely take a year off. A year off looks good anyway (provided you do something productive), and it will give schools a chance to see that you can do well in upper level science courses at a 4-year university. Personally, part of the reason I took a year off was because I had a bad semester fall semester of my soph year (which I could explain), and my pre-med advisor told me med schools would be more comfortable in saying it was an aberration if they saw the 5 semesters afterward instead of just the next 3. It's definitely been the best decision I could have made and has worked out pretty well so far. Research is one of the easiest one-year jobs to find, but some other options would be a tech in the hospital or an EMT if you get trained sometime before then. There's lots of stuff you can do, you just have to find something you're interested in. Good luck to you.

CerealBox

10+ Year Member
      7+ Year Member
      Apr 26, 2005
        Yes armin, i think that many schools are unfortunately hesitant about accepting community college grades.. or at least don't give them as much weight as university grades. Take more upper level science classes, get great grades in them, and then apply to med school after you graduate.

As for what to do in your year off? the possibilities are endless! I would suggest 2 things. First, do some kind of research: either clinical, public health, or basic science. Second, what are you passionate about? What is your favorite hobby/sport? If its dodgeball, join a dodgeball league or coach a kids team. Explore you side area of interest in depth. This is a good time to do it and will make you a more well-rounded person.

And the mcat: go ahead and take it now... i can't imagine it would hurt you. But i actually can't give a very informed answer here.

Good luck :luck:

About the Ads

beanbean

1K Member
        10+ Year Member
        15+ Year Member
        Jan 20, 2002
        Connecticut
        1. Attending Physician
          Delaying for a year would make sense and allow you to apply with a stronger application. As others have mentioned, there are many fantastic things to do in a glide year.

Take the MCAT as close to when you have completed your prereq classes as possible. The longer you wait, the more you will forget.

dr.z

15+ Year Member
          Jul 3, 2004
          Detroit, MI
          1. Fellow [Any Field]
            beanbean said:
            Delaying for a year would make sense and allow you to apply with a stronger application. As others have mentioned, there are many fantastic things to do in a glide year.

Take the MCAT as close to when you have completed your prereq classes as possible. The longer you wait, the more you will forget.

I agree.

About the Ads
            This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            7. This thread is locked.