1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Delay my application or not?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by hardworker101, Nov 19, 2005.

1. hardworker101

hardworker101 Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi
    I need advice. I have been recently thinking of delaying my application to med school.
    I finished two years at community college. I am now at a University and my original plan was to apply after junior year to enter med school after graduation.
    My premed advisor said for transfer students from community college it is better to wait one more year to have 2 years of science credits on records for review when you apply instead of only one year of university courses.
    I am also applying to lot of private (top) schools?
    Some of these schools don't think of community college credits as hard as university classes, i believe.
    What would you have done?
    What should I do the extra free time after graduation?

If I decided to apply one year late, do you guys think taking the mcat in aug 06 cause any problem with the computer based mcat coming 07, which is the year I am applying?
    thanks in advance

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MrBurns10

MrBurns10 Excellent, Smithers
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    If you want to go to a top tier school, then I think you should definitely take a year off. A year off looks good anyway (provided you do something productive), and it will give schools a chance to see that you can do well in upper level science courses at a 4-year university. Personally, part of the reason I took a year off was because I had a bad semester fall semester of my soph year (which I could explain), and my pre-med advisor told me med schools would be more comfortable in saying it was an aberration if they saw the 5 semesters afterward instead of just the next 3. It's definitely been the best decision I could have made and has worked out pretty well so far. Research is one of the easiest one-year jobs to find, but some other options would be a tech in the hospital or an EMT if you get trained sometime before then. There's lots of stuff you can do, you just have to find something you're interested in. Good luck to you.

4. CerealBox

CerealBox Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Yes armin, i think that many schools are unfortunately hesitant about accepting community college grades.. or at least don't give them as much weight as university grades. Take more upper level science classes, get great grades in them, and then apply to med school after you graduate.

As for what to do in your year off? the possibilities are endless! I would suggest 2 things. First, do some kind of research: either clinical, public health, or basic science. Second, what are you passionate about? What is your favorite hobby/sport? If its dodgeball, join a dodgeball league or coach a kids team. Explore you side area of interest in depth. This is a good time to do it and will make you a more well-rounded person.

And the mcat: go ahead and take it now... i can't imagine it would hurt you. But i actually can't give a very informed answer here.

Good luck :luck:

5. beanbean

beanbean 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Delaying for a year would make sense and allow you to apply with a stronger application. As others have mentioned, there are many fantastic things to do in a glide year.

Take the MCAT as close to when you have completed your prereq classes as possible. The longer you wait, the more you will forget.

6. dr.z

Physician 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I agree.