Delay the MCAT OR take it now & retake (if necessary)????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Likeabaoss

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just completed my sophomore year and was thinking of taking the MCAT in september. I studied for the past two months and have recently started taking AAMC FLs. I got 29 for both AAMC 3&4. I want to score in mid 30s so I some shot at some of the competitive schools. I am thinking of delaying the MCAT until march so I can do more studying. I will be applying to medical schools next summer so I have enough time.
So should I delay it? Or should I just go ahead and take the test in september? I am thinking that in case I do bad in september, I can retake in march. Will taking the MCAT twice hurt my application?

Gracias

Members don't see this ad.

As long as there is a significant improvement between your first and second (3-4 points) then its perfectly acceptable to take the MCAT twice. Three times however is pushing it, again, significant improvement must be shown if you do take it a third time. Its harder to improve from a 33 to a 36 in comparison from a 30 to 33.

I am thinking that in case I do bad in september, I can retake in march. Will taking the MCAT twice hurt my application?

Gracias

Not really. But, it would look better if you had a stellar score the first time. I would wait until early next year. You are really in no rush to take the MCAT. Wait until you are consistently scoring in the mid-thirties.

Don't take the MCAT until you feel ready to get the score you want. There are schools that will consider both scores, or sometimes average the scores, so keep that in mind. It's much better (and cheaper!) to just take it once and get the score you want.

You have a whole year to take the MCAT, so don't rush it. Maybe you should continue studying throughout fall semester, study hard over winter break, and take it in January.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm in the same situation as you, except I've been scoring a little higher 31 Kaplan, 32 AAMC 4R, 34 AAMC 5R (but I was only one question away from a 12 in both VR and BS, so only 2 questions away from a 36!). My advisor recommended I wait until after biochem (taking it this upcoming semester), but for me, I think I've decided to take it in Sept. since I don't think I will have the free time during the semester to study, nor do I want to continue this torture for another 4 months. Also, you risk forgetting some of the material you learned in your pre-req classes, however this may be offset by additional courses you may be taking that will broaden your understanding (biochm, phys, etc.). It is really up to you...take the MCAT when you feel comfortable.

I just completed my sophomore year and was thinking of taking the MCAT in september. I studied for the past two months and have recently started taking AAMC FLs. I got 29 for both AAMC 3&4. I want to score in mid 30s so I some shot at some of the competitive schools. I am thinking of delaying the MCAT until march so I can do more studying. I will be applying to medical schools next summer so I have enough time.
So should I delay it? Or should I just go ahead and take the test in september? I am thinking that in case I do bad in september, I can retake in march. Will taking the MCAT twice hurt my application?

Gracias

although all AAMC practice tests are pretty good, see how you do with AAMC 10, and 11. According to most people these tests are pretty close to the real deal. See how you do with those and it should be pretty accurate to your actual scores. take the MCAT when you feel prepared with the content.

If you're aiming for mid 30s and you think you're capable of it, delay the MCAT (especially since you're in no hurry to apply). You don't have to delay it till March... you can take it at an earlier date to give you enough time for a retake if you decide you need it at that point.

Use the schedules, study guides, strategies, etc. posted on SDN to formulate a study plan that suits you and really buckle down and work hard at it. Don't waste any more AAMC FL's if you're going to delay the test. Those will come in handy later.

If you're aiming for mid 30s and you think you're capable of it, delay the MCAT (especially since you're in no hurry to apply). You don't have to delay it till March... you can take it at an earlier date to give you enough time for a retake if you decide you need it at that point.

Use the schedules, study guides, strategies, etc. posted on SDN to formulate a study plan that suits you and really buckle down and work hard at it. Don't waste any more AAMC FL's if you're going to delay the test. Those will come in handy later.

I really appreciate your replies everyone!! I just found out that I cannot delay september mcat to next year so my only option is to cancel the test in which case I would only get $120 back. I got 34 on AAMC5 that I took on sunday. I am thinking of taking 2-3 more AAMCs (preferably 8-10) and then see if I want to take the test or not.
Do a lot of schools average the MCAT scores? What about Columbia, Cornell, SUNYs?

Thanks