Delaying MCAT...will applying 1 week later make a difference?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cfx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm studying for my MCAT, which I'm signed up to take on July 8. Looking at how much time I have left, and the amount of material I still need to cover, it's not looking pretty.

I was thinking about pushing my MCAT date back to July 16. The scores are expected to be released exactly 7 days after the July 8 scores.

Will submitting my application to schools 1 week later make a significant difference for my chances? I know that I'm somewhat late not being complete until August, but will being an additional week late change anything?

(EDIT: I AM planning to complete all of my secondaries while I wait for my scores, so hopefully will be able to be complete within a few days of receiving it)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm studying for my MCAT, which I'm signed up to take on July 8. Looking at how much time I have left, and the amount of material I still need to cover, it's not looking pretty.

I was thinking about pushing my MCAT date back to July 16. The scores are expected to be released exactly 7 days after the July 8 scores.

Will submitting my application to schools 1 week later make a significant difference for my chances? I know that I'm somewhat late not being complete until August, but will being an additional week late change anything?

(EDIT: I AM planning to complete all of my secondaries while I wait for my scores, so hopefully will be able to be complete within a few days of receiving it)
You can submit your AMCAS before you take the MCAT, and that's what I would recommend doing. Do your AMCAS this month, like before June 25th (the day they actually release all the applications they've received so far to the med schools). Then, you can receive secondaries and start working on them ASAP. Don't worry, they'll send you secondaries without your MCAT score.

Note: you should only do this if you are confident you're going to get a good score and you won't have to delay application by a year. But it sounds like you're counting on only taking it once anyway.

Hope this could help!

Members don't see this ad :)
mskar-I appreciate the response. That would be an ideal setup. However, the point is that I feel that I am NOT ready to take it by July 8, and am thinking about delaying it. Therefore, I'm definitely not looking to move it earlier. Even if I were, all spots would probably be full this close to the testing date.

Coleontheroll-Thank you for the helpful answer. I feel enlightened already.

Anyone who actually knows something about the admissions process, and perhaps how many new apps are received each week and how such timing affects chances, have any thoughts??

Coleontheroll-Thank you for the helpful answer. I feel enlightened already.

He is being sarcastic. Don't take it personally. If you hang out here long enough you will become familiar with the personalities.

Negligible difference. One week is far less important than improving your score, even if it's only a point or two in the end. And you hit it on the nail--finish secondaries during the month before scores arrive.

How far would it set back someone to take their mcat late July? I would get my scores back about August 31st. Does this put me at a significant disadvantage?

Negligible difference. One week is far less important than improving your score, even if it's only a point or two in the end. And you hit it on the nail--finish secondaries during the month before scores arrive.

Thanks. I can possibly get done all that I want to in the time that I have left, but it would take some pretty intense cramming. It's doable, if that one week makes any significant different, but if it doesn't, the extra 8 days would help relieve some of the pressure.

I guess I'm just trying to get a feel if the minor ding from delaying a week or the potential minor ding to my score has more of a negative impact.

The reason I give you a smartass answer is because this question has been answered a million times on these forums. If you spend 5 minutes searching, you'll find the answer.

In all fairness, I had literally just woken up after about 4.5 hours sleep when I read your comment, so I just wasn't in the mood.

Honestly, though, there are roughly 1400 threads on this board. Unless you're posting about the world cup or whether or not to fart during the MCAT, I'm pretty sure EVERY question has been answered plenty of times. Sometimes, it's laziness and not wanting to search, other times it's because people want to be involved in a discussion that's tailored to their specific scenario, as opposed to reading or attempting to revive a backlog of long-dead threads.

In all fairness, I had literally just woken up after about 4.5 hours sleep when I read your comment, so I just wasn't in the mood.

Honestly, though, there are roughly 1400 threads on this board. Unless you're posting about the world cup or whether or not to fart during the MCAT, I'm pretty sure EVERY question has been answered plenty of times. Sometimes, it's laziness and not wanting to search, other times it's because people want to be involved in a discussion that's tailored to their specific scenario, as opposed to reading or attempting to revive a backlog of long-dead threads.

Fair enough. I'll admit I'm fairly lazy myself. But unfortunately, this makes you a great target for people like me that be trollin'.