Delaying reapplication

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sartre

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm already a second-time applicant, and currently sitting on waitlists with no acceptances. I had already decided that I would not immediately reapply a third time this summer, but instead take an additional year to improve my application before applying again (if I don't get an acceptance this year).

I'm just so worried that the schools at which I am waitlisted will see that I'm not reapplying right now, and might assume that I am not willing to apply a third time. Or that I'm a slacker, or that I'm overly confident that I'll get in, etc. Is there any way to let them know that I fully intend to reapply if necessary (just not until I can really make some changes to my application)? If anyone has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

I doubt they either see that, or will take that into consideration. Your best bet is to keep updating the school(s) your waitlisted at, get extra recs and have them send it there and everything. Keep writing them though, letting them know that you will be attending when accepted (don't even use if)

I'm already a second-time applicant, and currently sitting on waitlists with no acceptances. I had already decided that I would not immediately reapply a third time this summer, but instead take an additional year to improve my application before applying again (if I don't get an acceptance this year).

I'm just so worried that the schools at which I am waitlisted will see that I'm not reapplying right now, and might assume that I am not willing to apply a third time. Or that I'm a slacker, or that I'm overly confident that I'll get in, etc. Is there any way to let them know that I fully intend to reapply if necessary (just not until I can really make some changes to my application)? If anyone has any advice, I would greatly appreciate it :oops:

No. If anything they will see it as a sign of maturity. They will see that you are not just blindly banging on the door with the same qualifications that did not earn you an acceptance the first 2 times and are dedicated enough to understand the weaknesses in the application and put forth the effort in improving in those areas.

As for a way of letting them know, I see nothing wrong with sending them an update letter at the end of the summer if you do not get off a waitlist. In the letter, you should thank them for their consideration of your application and indicate that landing a waitlist spot (rather than an outright rejection) is an indication to you that you "have what it takes" but need to improve your application. Ask politely for any constructive feedback they might have in how to improve your application and outline any measures you are already taking/have in the works to improve your app. Close by thanking them again for their time and consideration (and any potential feedback) and indicate that you look forward to applying again in the near future with an improved application.

I did this (both a letter from me and a call from my premed advisor) to my 1st choice school on my first attempt when I was waitlisted. I was told that an improved MCAT score and maybe taking a graduate level class would improve my app (my GPA from undergrad was not particularly good but not awful). I did both those things and was accepted the next cycle.

Members don't see this ad :)
i am in the same boat as you...I am going to reapply this summer bc if i take a year off of applications my MCAT expires...keep that in mind if that applies to you too

I did this (both a letter from me and a call from my premed advisor) to my 1st choice school on my first attempt when I was waitlisted. I was told that an improved MCAT score and maybe taking a graduate level class would improve my app (my GPA from undergrad was not particularly good but not awful). I did both those things and was accepted the next cycle.

I think this would be a wise thing for the OP to do. It would help to know where your weaknesses are so that when you do reapply (and I encourage you to do so after improving your application), things may work out better. Also, that way you can resolve any doubts that adcoms may have now. But I would keep you head up since you are on the waitlist and like some other poster said, that does mean a good thing for you. Obviously you have improved since your first application cycle so best wishes and I hope something comes through for you this cycle. If not, keep chugging along!!!