Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dell v. Texas A&M EnMed and Match rankings

Discussion in 'Help Me Decide: X vs Y Medical School' started by tiMD, Jan 11, 2019.

1. tiMD

Curious if anyone has thoughts on these two new schools and how to rank them along with more established/traditional schools (Southwestern and McGovern). I really like that Dell/A&M have non-clinical education integrated into their curriculum, but I'm worried that the lack of certain clinical opportunities might limit my specialty options later on (I want to keep my options open).

My current thought for ranking is 1. Southwestern 2./3. Dell/EnMed 4. McGovern. Thanks so much for any advice!

Dell
    Pros
    • 1 year preclinical and the option to do a dual degree in year 3
    • Dean Johnston and the staff made a very strong impression on me at interview day that they really believe in their school’s mission and are taking active steps to implement it (rather than just using it as a talking point)
    • First class had the highest step 1 score in the nation
    • PBL seems well-implemented and is appealing to me; Prosection for anatomy; True P/F
    Cons
    • No affiliated residency programs in anesthesiology, Rads, etc
    • Possibly too much of a focus on primary care? I do think community health is interesting but probably want to specialize
    • Seton is possibly not as well regarded as Methodist?
    Texas A&M EnMed

Pros
    • Engineering concepts integrated throughout 4 year curriculum, leading to M.S. in engineering
    • The graduation requirement to “invent something” innovative in the medical field is vague but seems awesome
    • Texas Medical Center (supposedly very important, though the exact benefits are kind of nebulous to me)
    • All 4 years in Houston, which is a big plus because my parents and many close friends will be there
    • 18 month preclinical
    Cons
    • Methodist is a well-regarded hospital (I think?) but doesn't have affiliated residencies in EM, anesthesiology, etc. (is this where TMC comes in to play?)
    • The presentations at interview day weren’t as polished and organized as Dell’s; I really like the mission of EnMed but am very unclear as to how/how well they will implement it
    • First year of the EnMed program so obviously a big unknown
    • H/P/F preclinical grading

#1 tiMD, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 6:43 AM
  2. tulsajoe94

Pre-Medical
    I thought Dell had some kind of dual engineering program as well for the third year, but maybe I’m misremembering?

I believe the A&M program outside of EnMed has had some trouble with inconsistent class sizing and allocation of clinical spot (Heard via MS3 friend who is really not liking A&M, so take it with a grain of salt)

Definitely have no idea which is better if you want to do biomedical engineering in the future. Maybe worth considering how much of your future career you plan to be doing engineering vs clinical care and use that to help with decision making?

I guess the classic advice is “go where you can be the most successful”? Best of luck, seems like a tough one for engineers!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    tiMD likes this.
  3. Swordyfish

I faced a similar predicament between choosing an established program (UTSW) vs. the innovative, new route (EnMed). Personally, I decided to pursue the safer route with ranking UTSW #1 knowing that no matter what happens, I will be provided a solid and top notch medical education that will prepare me to pursue a competitive speciality if I chose to. However, I think when comparing EnMed to dell, with them both being new programs, I think EnMed is worth the risk given the uniqueness it adds to your education. Additionally, Houston Methodist and the TMC are significantly better for your clinical trainings than seton imo but take this with a grain of salt given that I didn’t interview at dell. I think the only con with EnMed is the HPF grading system, and if that is a deal breaker for u, u can go for dell. Personally I would rank UTSW>EnMed>Dell/mcgovern, but tbh, they are all great programs and no matter what choice you make, you can’t go wrong. Hook em!

#3 Swordyfish, Jan 11, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    tiMD likes this.