Dell vs McGovern (poll)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tulsajoe94

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dell Pros:
- True P/F pre-clin
- One year pre-clinicals are 'hard but doable' according to friends there'
- Many MS1s still finding time for research during school year
- STEP score = 244 (or something like that, n=1 though)
- Can do research at MD Anderson for a full year during MS3
- MS3 seems like a nice break to avoid burnout?
- Staff and faculty all seem to know the students really well!
- Better chance for financial aid
- Beautiful medical school building, lots of glass and an open design where people congregate.
- Austin has a ton of green spaces, which makes me feel happy
- Some medical humanities research opportunities

Dell Cons:
- No MS1 summer
- No recorded lectures mean you HAVE to be in class
- Transition to MS4 might be tough?
- School seems to be relying heavily on UT Austins basic science labs as their "research", and I haven't found any that really pique my interest
- After MS1, you may never see your classmates again, seems like a lonely MS2
- No major medical center here
- Rumor has it Dell is struggling a bit with their community rotation partners on the basis of funding.

McGovern Pros:
- MD Anderson Cancer center is readily available
- Tons of opportunities for all kinds of research
- LOTS of resources for STEP provided by the school
- Large class size means I can probably find someone interested in the same thing I am
- Way more established interest groups
- Recorded Lectures so you can review at whatever speed you'd like
- I'd get to move to be "mentally fresh"
- traditional 2-year preclinicals mean I get a summer after MS1 to travel and do research
- Larger alumni network (is this important?)

McGovern Cons:
- Lower step score 234
- People don't attend lecture + 240 person class size = many classmates barely know each other or never even meet.
- ^ because of this, it had a much more 'college' vibe here, people were all friendly but felt cliquish
- Building is ugly and makes me sad
- Not Pass/Fail for pre-clin
- Two years before clinicals seems like a long wait

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Right now...UT Houston is a "better" school. What with their opportunities to rotate through the Texas Med Center and already established reputation.

But, mark my words, Dell will quickly rise past UT-H to rival UTSW in the state. They have recruited top faculty and admin from the best schools across the country to lead their institution. They have the power of the main UT_Austin resources behind them. Not to mention an amazing new medical school and other clinical training facilities. And honestly, they are becoming very respected and well-known across the country. I spent a year at Dartmouth, three months in DC among policy researchers, and a summer at UC San Diego--> academic medicine-oriented folks in all three places kept raving about how amazing the new school in Austin is and pushed me to apply/attend.

Dell is behaving like a "prestigious" school, and I have little doubt they'll achieve that.

That being said, if you already have been in Austin for undergrad and just really want to leave that badly...then I totally understand. Also, Dell is super into the education and training of the future- what with group learning for most education and a REALLY strong emphasis on value-based care. This may not be everyone's cup of tea (I know the whole group based learning and non-recorded lectures was somewhat a turn-off personally). I think I may be more of a traditional guy when it comes to learning, but hey- they're doing something right. Their step scores this year are apparently mind-blowing.

Regardless, you got into two awesome schools, congrats!

Btw, I got into Dell also, definitely ranked it number 1 on TMDSAS!

Reactions: 1 user
I misread the deadline to change school rankings :smack: so I ended up submitting McGovern as #1 and Dell as #2. Didn't match to either of them, but eventually got off the waitlist at both within the same week. I'm at Dell now and very pleased with that decision.

I definitely cannot overstate my love of true P/F first years. My non-clinical grades will NEVER come back and be used to rank me and that is such a relief. I can take a day off of studying to hangout or visit my fam and I don't worry my peers are "getting ahead". As long as I know 70% of the material, I can breath and that is SO nice.

You can message me if you want to tell me what pros/cons you want more info on and I can tell you more about Dell!

Reactions: 4 users