Dell Vs. Vanderbilt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xjawz

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Vanderbilt
Pros
  • Full Ride (with much higher tuition than Dell)
  • Much better school (I think)
  • Better research opportunities and more established programs

Cons
  • OOS, never seen Nashville or TN and don't love the country stuff
  • I might feel way out of my league at a place like Vanderbilt, and that fear goes up and down by the day
  • Pretty far from home (I'm from TX), but I can adapt fine. It will just be new city to me

Dell
Pros
  • Full Ride
  • In-state
  • better city
  • Smaller class size, so will be able to stand out more and start more things
  • feels lower competition so wont feel way out of my league (i.e. everyone isn't from some ivy league)

Cons
  • Not sure what the impression is about Dell since its new, and unsure how close it is in comparison to Vanderbilt. This might matter a lot, as I want to end up in TX

Summary: Blessed with two great offers from two great schools, but just feel unsure about which school would be the smartest choice and where I might fit best- I care a lot about research, helping Indigenous/underserved groups, and diversity.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Wow congratulations on an amazing cycle!! You have two amazing offers (full-rides!) so it’s hard to say which one is superior, but my pick would be Vandy. I think Dell is still establishing itself and Vandy is well-established, great school with lots of opportunities, and I think it will help get you where you want to go.
Good luck to you!!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Vandy is the far better school! And I’m not sure you can put “better city” as a pro for Dell if you’re putting “never seen Nashville” down haha.

Full ride to Vandy? And you like research? You can't deny that offer.

Plus it might be nice to live somewhere else for 4 years. You will have absolutely no problem coming back to TX for residency from Vandy, if that's what you desire.

Go to Vanderbilt. You won’t stand out more at Dell and you won’t feel the competition you’re afraid of at Vanderbilt with P/F grading. Those are bad reasons to go to Dell or avoid Vanderbilt.

Reactions: 2 users
Vandy 100% and Nashville doesn't feel like you are stuck in country :)

Nashville is an awesome city and there is a lot to do in the area surrounding campus. Lots of bars, restaurants, music etc in walking distance. I am from a country area originally and living in Nashville I never really felt the country vibe