Delta Dental. What do you know about it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jk5177

Just Kidding
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you think of Delta Dental.

Members don't see this ad.

jk5177 said:

Well...... you don't bite the hand that feeds you and your family. So, I won't!

Delta and its subsidiaries are actually some of the better if not the BEST dental insurance companies out there.

It was started by dentists to help expand dentistry in the 1950's. There have been ups and downs with the company and I will stop here and... let others contribute. :idea:

jk5177 said:

I don't know anything about their insurance policies. However, I do know that they have been generous in donating money and supplies to various dental causes in my community in Wisconsin. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
They also donated money to my dental school, which is more than I can say for myself.

toofache32 said:
They also donated money to my dental school, which is more than I can say for myself.

Thanks to them I have to do all my preps on the dentsims as well as in the kavo labs. Yay for me ...

but they do donate a large amount of money and good coverage to many people/schools ...

CJWolf said:
Thanks to them I have to do all my preps on the dentsims as well as in the kavo labs. Yay for me ...

but they do donate a large amount of money and good coverage to many people/schools ...

BOOOOOOO dentsims :(

sonrisa dentista said:
I don't know anything about their insurance policies. However, I do know that they have been generous in donating money and supplies to various dental causes in my community in Wisconsin. :thumbup:

Delta Dental has made a sizeable donation to Boston University School of Dental Medicine.

Read about it here.

Beyond their donations to schools, do they have pretty good treatment plans for its patients. Do they pay the dentists well? Would you pick up a patient who is with Delta Dental?

Come on, this thread is so whimpy. I want to see some more information about them.

jk5177 said:
Beyond their donations to schools, do they have pretty good treatment plans for its patients. Do they pay the dentists well? Would you pick up a patient who is with Delta Dental?

Come on, this thread is so whimpy. I want to see some more information about them.

Yes, they pay the dentists well.

Their particiaption rules are not too burdensome and most public governmental employers provide Delta Dental for their employees.

Some dentists do not like the rules they impose but generally those are no insurance participation offices in any event.

IMHO, Delta is the insurance plan you most like to see you patients having. They typically have some of (if not the highest) re-imbursement rates for their PPO plans, and have been more "progressive" about implant coverage. They also seem to have less delays/complications with claim paymants than other dental insurance providers.

That being said, they are a company that is in business to make money. They have some plans that will deny claims that will have your head spinning from time to time about why (only pay for 2 bitewings instead of 4 :confused: , no coverage for core build ups, coverage for an implant crown, but not the implant itself :confused:, etc, etc, etc) Remember, most insurance companies haven't raised their yearly maximum benefits since the 1970's :eek: . and frankly, from a business standpoint they'd rather see their clients (your patients) have all their teeth extracted and pay for dentures (lower long term payouts for them!).

You(or you office manager) wil end up spending a bit of time explaining to your patients about dental insurance and its limitataions :mad:

Diffrences in the Delta fee for service group plans can often be attributed to the terms on which the employer is willing to negotiate or stipulate. For example my wife and I are both covered by Delta. Her plan caps at $1750 per year per family member. My plan caps at $1500 per year per family member. However my plan covers 50% of implants with no life time limit while my wife's plan covers 50% of implants with a lifetime limit of $1000. Yet, both plans cover 50% of implant crowns/abutments with no life time limit (like Dr Jeff says "go figure"). I talked to the Delta reps during my company's last "open season." They are fully aware that the outcomes and costs of implants are now at such a level that they are often a better long term solution (both physically and economically) than bridges, but it is taking time for Delta to convince some employers to buy into that truth.