MA/MS Demand for Graduate Students for PhD Programs

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by sdbmania, 09.27.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. sdbmania

sdbmania Psychology Graduate 2+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    A few months ago I graduated with a Masters in Psychology. I've been applying to jobs to teach psychology at community colleges, universities, and online. I'd like to spend some time teaching so I can pay down my student debt, but I'm thinking about getting a PhD down the line. I'm having trouble deciding what area to specialize in. I did apply to a PsyD Clinical Psychology program several months ago, but I decided that I didn't want it enough to add more to my debt.

I feel like I may be leaning more towards research. I'm volunteering at a university lab primarily to pad my CV when it comes time to apply for programs again. I was thinking about a PhD in Clinical Psychology, as it would be more research related and I could still get licensed if I decided I wanted to practice later on. But, in the event I decide I'd prefer research, I was wondering if there were any research PhD programs that are unable to get enough applicants. That way I could help fit a niche that is in need and specialize in something that I enjoy and find rewarding.

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. modestmousktr

modestmousktr 2+ Year Member

Because most programs get 200-500 applicants for 3-12 spots, there's usually not a need or demand for students. Usually! But there are certain cases. The APA releases a list every year of Ph.D. programs accepting applicants past the April 15th deadline, and because it's so late in the game/most people don't utilize this list, it becomes very easy to get in at that point. Usually the schools are crappy or unfunded, but one good example I can think of is last year, University of Alaska's Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology was on the list. It is a fully funded doctoral program, don't know about the EPPP rates. Also, some schools in geographically undesirable locations have less applicants, making it easier to get in.

4. sdbmania

sdbmania Psychology Graduate 2+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    I see. Thanks for the response. I'll be sure to do my research!

About the ads