MA/MS Demand for Graduate Students for PhD Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sdbmania

Psychology Graduate
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A few months ago I graduated with a Masters in Psychology. I've been applying to jobs to teach psychology at community colleges, universities, and online. I'd like to spend some time teaching so I can pay down my student debt, but I'm thinking about getting a PhD down the line. I'm having trouble deciding what area to specialize in. I did apply to a PsyD Clinical Psychology program several months ago, but I decided that I didn't want it enough to add more to my debt.

I feel like I may be leaning more towards research. I'm volunteering at a university lab primarily to pad my CV when it comes time to apply for programs again. I was thinking about a PhD in Clinical Psychology, as it would be more research related and I could still get licensed if I decided I wanted to practice later on. But, in the event I decide I'd prefer research, I was wondering if there were any research PhD programs that are unable to get enough applicants. That way I could help fit a niche that is in need and specialize in something that I enjoy and find rewarding.

Members don't see this ad.

Because most programs get 200-500 applicants for 3-12 spots, there's usually not a need or demand for students. Usually! But there are certain cases. The APA releases a list every year of Ph.D. programs accepting applicants past the April 15th deadline, and because it's so late in the game/most people don't utilize this list, it becomes very easy to get in at that point. Usually the schools are crappy or unfunded, but one good example I can think of is last year, University of Alaska's Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology was on the list. It is a fully funded doctoral program, don't know about the EPPP rates. Also, some schools in geographically undesirable locations have less applicants, making it easier to get in.

I see. Thanks for the response. I'll be sure to do my research!