suckermc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2005
Status
Pre-Medical
so i took my first full length on saturday, tpr test d and it sucked. mostly due to timming.

how can i improve my timming in PS? i have the ek books but the only one that is passaged based is biology. can anyone suggest any other books? i had tpr books given to me but they are not in good condition and are missing answers..

ahumdinger

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2005
Status
Medical Student
TPR sucks donkey balls. Go and browse through some kaplan books at the bookstore. The Kaplan course is really big on strategy (including Pacing/Timing!). I'm not sure if the books they publish have the same strategies but go check.

good luck.

suicidal cell

Following the TRAIL
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 29, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
suckermc said:
so i took my first full length on saturday, tpr test d and it sucked. mostly due to timming.

how can i improve my timming in PS? i have the ek books but the only one that is passaged based is biology. can anyone suggest any other books? i had tpr books given to me but they are not in good condition and are missing answers..
Don't freak out. I think the TPR diags are meant to be more difficult compared to the real MCAT. I'd start worrying if you continue to get nasty scores for tests 4 and 5, since they are real MCATs. As for the timing issue, that'll come with lots of practice. Do the homework passages under strict time conditions, and your timing will improve.

About the Ads

braluk

SDN Surgerynator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2006
The Big Easy
Status
Medical Student
memorize memorize memorize equations. Learn how variables work in relation to each other. In addition, i became very good at skimming through most physics passages. I read the intro to get an understanding of what the passage is about, skipped through all the paragraphs (usually 1 or 2) that were just filled with variables I would have to look back to anyway, and briefly skimmed the conclusion. After learning this, I ended up with about 10-15 minutes free time on the real MCAT, and scored a 12 from 7's and 8's on practice exams

dovebar

10+ Year Member
Jun 20, 2006
Vegas
Status
Pre-Pharmacy
On my first diagnostic TPR, I got a 5. I studied on and off( but really not that much) before the april test. Last semester was pretty bad for me. :( I got a 9 on the real thing in April. I'm retaking and I'm shooting for a 12 or higher. It's about reinforcing the basic concepts, finish the exam, and knowing your equations. Know your equations! Not some of them, not most of them, ALL OF THEM!! Also know your periodic table. Listen to audio osmosis chemistry and physics review. Remember to understand the concepts first before jumping into the HUGE TPR practice book. I made this mistake. One week from MCAT time is NOT when you want to reference the TPR review book. Good luck! :luck:

braluk

SDN Surgerynator
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2006
The Big Easy
Status
Medical Student
there are some things you could probably skip and be fine. things like bournoulli's equation probably wont be really helpful to memorize but myriads more helpful in knowing its concepts (as in if this goes up, this probably will go down)

KeyLime

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2000
Visit site
Status
Are you talking about a diagnostic test or one of the tests A-D in the extra test book? Our instructors told us not to even take tests A-D because the science questions in them were so hard.

OP
suckermc

suckermc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 16, 2005
Status
Pre-Medical
shellyr33 said:
Are you talking about a diagnostic test or one of the tests A-D in the extra test book? Our instructors told us not to even take tests A-D because the science questions in them were so hard.

i took practice test D and got a 5 in the physical science section. it was hard. i did better on amcas 4 and 5, but you guys are right about equations. everyone tells me not to memmorize but it looks like u do.

i have the ek books and ill time myself on those, and redo the passages that i skipped on the exam....i tell u if it works.

thnaks guys

About the Ads