Demoralized: Where do I go from here?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cafeverona

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Took the September 10th MCAT and scored a disappointing 3 points below my average. Verbal really hurt me because it was so different than any of my AAMCs (and it's usually my strongest section). Went from an average of 10 to scoring an 8 on the real thing. PS and BS were also a point lower.

I have approximately 40 days to study for my next test without any commitments. How do I improve?

I've taken all the AAMCs and 2 gold standard exams.

I had studied for over 3 months for that test, and I ended up doing so poorly. I knew I was getting burnt out...but doing that poor is so disappointing. How does this not destroy your confidence? Where do I go from here?

Members don't see this ad.

First off evaluate yourself holistically. Take a look at your GPA, extracurricular, LOR, etc... and ask yourself where do you want to apply to. 40 days isn't a lot of time but possible. See what went wrong during the exam, did you not answer everything, didn't understand obscure passages, accuracy? Continue taking practice passages and pick up some outside reading material. The Economist and The New Yorker are popular. Read those and go through the same process as if it were an MCAT passage. There aren't any questions but think of possible questions the MCAT could ask. Condience isn't a static phenomena. There will be up and downs, it's up to you to pick yourself back up and get to it.

Hey!! You got this!! :] This just means you can only do better!

You should look through your past AAMC breakdowns and figure out what those test were saying were your weak points. Also, think back to your test and think of any questions that just made you go - wtf?? And work on those topics.

Go back through your content, and PRACTICE, PRACTICE PRACTICE! :] Good luck! I know you can do it!

Took the September 10th MCAT and scored a disappointing 3 points below my average. Verbal really hurt me because it was so different than any of my AAMCs (and it's usually my strongest section). Went from an average of 10 to scoring an 8 on the real thing. PS and BS were also a point lower.

I have approximately 40 days to study for my next test without any commitments. How do I improve?

I've taken all the AAMCs and 2 gold standard exams.

I had studied for over 3 months for that test, and I ended up doing so poorly. I knew I was getting burnt out...but doing that poor is so disappointing. How does this not destroy your confidence? Where do I go from here?

You got this man! Do you feel crunched for time? Can you register for a later exam? I know seats are slim but with persistence I'm sure you can find one. Advice you probably already know: Verbal requires practice everyday. It's a gnarly section and it stinks. Maybe it was a fluke since you had been scoring better and you just need one more shot, it could always be worse!

Keep the confidence up!

I try to laugh when I end up doing poorly because negative thoughts will only make the task at hand harder and more troubling.

When a passage completely dominates my soul, this is how I imagine reacting to the people who write the MCAT:

Good luck in your studies. Hang in there and study your brain out.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks everyone. I think I'll go back through my old mistakes and continue doing practice passages. :)

You got this man! Do you feel crunched for time? Can you register for a later exam? I know seats are slim but with persistence I'm sure you can find one. Advice you probably already know: Verbal requires practice everyday. It's a gnarly section and it stinks. Maybe it was a fluke since you had been scoring better and you just need one more shot, it could always be worse!

Keep the confidence up!

I try to laugh when I end up doing poorly because negative thoughts will only make the task at hand harder and more troubling.

When a passage completely dominates my soul, this is how I imagine reacting to the people who write the MCAT:

Good luck in your studies. Hang in there and study your brain out.

Yes I've already got a seat! :)

Reactions: 1 user