Demoralized

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tcar18

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any MS1s out there feeling completely demoralized?

Its not that its such hard material its just so hard to get that A or honors. I didn't think I was going to be number one in my class but I also didn't think I'd struggle to get towards the upper 1/2.

Also... it some ways the grading system of H, HPass, Pass, fail is more aggravating. My grade of 84 (one below high pass) is just equal to the guy that did nothing and got a 69 (one above fail).

I can't wait for these first two years to be over.

sorry to be such a downer but sometimes you have to vent!

Members don't see this ad.

I know it's easier said than done. Especially when you're interested in a highly competitive residency. But, try not to place as much emphasis on exam scores, per se, and shift the focus to wheather or not you're actually absorbing the material. In other words, do you feel competent (and confident) with respect to the material?? If so, then screw the damn score, provided you're passing (and provided you really ARE competent with the material).

I've been doing pretty well overall. But, I had a couple physio exams where I was pretty disappointed with myself. However, I checked myself from getting too bent out of shape, because I really did know the material. I just didn't play the "game" well for those two exams (as well as I should have). But, overall, I could honestly say that I was, and am, competent w/r/t the material presented. And, that's all that really matters, in my opinion (at least that's what will matter to your patients...).

I've been doing pretty well overall. But, I had a couple physio exams where I was pretty disappointed with myself. However, I checked myself from getting too bent out of shape, because I really did know the material. I just didn't play the "game" well for those two exams (as well as I should have). But, overall, I could honestly say that I was, and am, competent w/r/t the material presented. And, that's all that really matters, in my opinion (at least that's what will matter to your patients...).

Maybe it's a physiology thing because I had exactly the same experience with my last physiology exam. :( I'm still comfortably passing, though, which is all that matters in the big picture.

My demoralization is from a different source. I just feel like I'm not gaining that much of value this year. I was reading this article about happiness, and they said happy people generally feel like their work is useful and productive. The first year of medical school just does not feel useful to me because it's so much memorization of seemingly worthless stuff. Consequently, I feel like I'm putting all this effort into something that's essentially meaningless in the long run.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's weird. It seems to me that those who loved and adored anatomy absolutely hat physio while some like me who HATED and struggled to pass anatomy did pretty well in physio. I personally come from an engineering background so for me, physio was much more conceptual and the ideas tended to build on each other rather than stand alone. This year, we have micro and I hate it because every lecture seems to stand on its own with little reinforcement of previous concepts (if there are any concepts at all).

But that's med school. you're gonna like a few things and you're gonna hate a few things. I personally find memorization to be a belittling and demeaning act...so you can tell how well I mest be doing in MEDICAL SCHOOL :laugh: .

Most classes I barely pass with the occasional High Pass in a class that is really conceptual (where i do better than the other kids who were tops on the other classes).

Maybe it's a physiology thing because I had exactly the same experience with my last physiology exam. :( I'm still comfortably passing, though, which is all that matters in the big picture.

My demoralization is from a different source. I just feel like I'm not gaining that much of value this year. I was reading this article about happiness, and they said happy people generally feel like their work is useful and productive. The first year of medical school just does not feel useful to me because it's so much memorization of seemingly worthless stuff. Consequently, I feel like I'm putting all this effort into something that's essentially meaningless in the long run.

I know what you mean. I think it'll get much more interesting as we focus more on pathology, and then how to "fix" the pathology. It'll be more empowering, I assume. Also, virtually everyone I've spoken to says that 2nd year is much, much more interesting (and relevant), albeit harder.

I've jokingly refered to some parts of med school as "boot camp"...lol
True at least to some degree. But, in reality, this stuff is what will separate us from the rest of the medical community. It's kind of cool how all across the country, we're all learning the language of science and medicine. I'm already feeling a bond with my fellow classmates. Pretty cool, and not unlike "boot camp"...

Any MS1s out there feeling completely demoralized?

Its not that its such hard material its just so hard to get that A or honors. I didn't think I was going to be number one in my class but I also didn't think I'd struggle to get towards the upper 1/2.

Also... it some ways the grading system of H, HPass, Pass, fail is more aggravating. My grade of 84 (one below high pass) is just equal to the guy that did nothing and got a 69 (one above fail).

I can't wait for these first two years to be over.

sorry to be such a downer but sometimes you have to vent!

Agree this is incredibly aggravating. In our system, only 10% can get 'honors' grading, & it doesn't matter if the top 10% is at like 97-98%. You'd think getting a 95 would put you on the honors list, but, at least here, that's not always the case. That's demoralizing.

It's weird. It seems to me that those who loved and adored anatomy absolutely hat physio while some like me who HATED and struggled to pass anatomy did pretty well in physio. I personally come from an engineering background so for me, physio was much more conceptual and the ideas tended to build on each other rather than stand alone. This year, we have micro and I hate it because every lecture seems to stand on its own with little reinforcement of previous concepts (if there are any concepts at all).

But that's med school. you're gonna like a few things and you're gonna hate a few things. I personally find memorization to be a belittling and demeaning act...so you can tell how well I mest be doing in MEDICAL SCHOOL :laugh: .

Most classes I barely pass with the occasional High Pass in a class that is really conceptual (where i do better than the other kids who were tops on the other classes).

Nah, I hated anatomy, too. I hate rote memorization and actually like concepts. For me, physiology was particularly discouraging because I felt like I got the concepts but just got thrown by ambiguously (and arguably) poorly written questions on the exam. I'm guessing the cfdavid had the same experience because he felt like he, too, was understanding things and learning what he needed to know.

D@mn, I don't like anything. Well, human behavior can be interesting sometimes, but that's it. :(

I know what you mean. I think it'll get much more interesting as we focus more on pathology, and then how to "fix" the pathology. It'll be more empowering, I assume. Also, virtually everyone I've spoken to says that 2nd year is much, much more interesting (and relevant), albeit harder.

I've jokingly refered to some parts of med school as "boot camp"...lol
True at least to some degree. But, in reality, this stuff is what will separate us from the rest of the medical community. It's kind of cool how all across the country, we're all learning the language of science and medicine. I'm already feeling a bond with my fellow classmates. Pretty cool, and not unlike "boot camp"...

Yeah, I've got my fingers crossed the second year will be better. I'm actually excited about 3rd and 4th year. :)

This pretty much sums up how I feel at times. Especially when memorizing pointless biochem pathways! (IMO, the worst part of medical school so far). I actually enjoyed anatomy, I guess because I felt it was more applicable to my career plans.

I am also definitely looking forward to 3rd & 4th year.

I don't know how your curriculum is set up, but I also hated first year. Some people can get excited over normal anatomy, biochem, and physio, but I hated it. I even disliked the clinical skills/physical exam stuff that we did first year.

2nd year has been so much more fun. Microbio and infectious disease was pretty cool (although you'll distrust restaurants for a few months). Even the physical exam stuff has been a lot more interesting - it's cool to walk into a room and be able to hear someone's aortic valve replacement even without using a stethoscope. (If the room is quiet, you'll hear it clicking - it sounds like the second hand of a loud watch.) And all the clinical stuff does use a lot of stuff that we did last year, like where a blockage would occur that might lead to jaundice, etc. But it's a LOT more interesting.

Hang in there! Good luck! :)

I don't know how your curriculum is set up, but I also hated first year. Some people can get excited over normal anatomy, biochem, and physio, but I hated it. I even disliked the clinical skills/physical exam stuff that we did first year.

2nd year has been so much more fun. Microbio and infectious disease was pretty cool (although you'll distrust restaurants for a few months). Even the physical exam stuff has been a lot more interesting - it's cool to walk into a room and be able to hear someone's aortic valve replacement even without using a stethoscope. (If the room is quiet, you'll hear it clicking - it sounds like the second hand of a loud watch.) And all the clinical stuff does use a lot of stuff that we did last year, like where a blockage would occur that might lead to jaundice, etc. But it's a LOT more interesting.

Hang in there! Good luck! :)

Thanks for the positive words. :) I have faith it'll get better. I knew coming in that first year was just something to survive.

Not to be a total dingus but you are crying because you aren't in the top half? Give me a break. I can understand that you'd be upset if you were failing, but feeling demoralized because you arent the top shows that you really need to get a life. If my self worth resolved around how well I did on each exam, I'd probably just step into traffic.

Let me tell you what's really demoralizing.

3rd year. Imagine busting your but on the wards, with little sleep and doing above 90th percentile on shelf and in house exams, but just getting a P as a grade cause your subjective evals are medicore. Add to that putting on about 15 pounds of lard to your gut cause you are too tired to work out, and your pants don't fit anymore so u walk around with the top button on your pants unbuttoned and you have to buy new belts cause you went from 31 inch waist to >34 inch waist in less then 6 months. :(

Members don't see this ad :)

3rd year. Imagine busting your but on the wards, ... and your pants don't fit anymore so u walk around with the top button on your pants unbuttoned and you have to by new belts cause you went from 31 inch waist to >34 inch waist in less then 6 months. :(

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

(Don't take this the wrong way. I have gained 45 pounds at certain stressful points in my life. Now I try to make sure I don't eat certain foods like candy to at least slow down any weight gain)

I thought that I was the only one who felt inadequate, until I logged onto SDN. Very few people in my class admit to doing poorly on exams, but I feel that most people will have a hard time in at least one course in Med school. I see fluctuations in my Physiology exam scores, depending on who's writing the test questions. Sometimes I can't figure out what they are specifically asking.

I thought that I was the only one who felt inadequate, until I logged onto SDN. Very few people in my class admit to doing poorly on exams, but I feel that most people will have a hard time in at least one course in Med school. I see fluctuations in my Physiology exam scores, depending on who's writing the test questions. Sometimes I can't figure out what they are specifically asking.

Yeah, I think it's possible to get the idea that everyone is doing better than you. I'm know I'm prone to that regardless of how well I'm going. I hear you on the physiology questions, too. The thing that's weird is that I'm generally pretty good at multiple choice questions and at verbal stuff, but some of the physiology questions leave me going wtf just because of the phrasing. :)

Rule #1 of surviving medschool: Medstudents are dirty, filthy liars. They will never admit to doing poorly and most often will claim that they find "X" subject easy. Of course if you look at the class averages you will see that everyone is not doing as awesome as they let on. Its all part of the medical vibe of making people feel inferior to you.

I used to be one of the first people to leave exams, but now I sit there and use time left over to ponder poorly written questions. I thought I was a great multiple-foils test taker, before Med school. Any tips?

I used to be one of the first people to leave exams, but now I sit there and use time left over to ponder poorly written questions. I thought I was a great multiple-foils test taker, before Med school. Any tips?

Rule #1 of surviving medschool: Medstudents are dirty, filthy liars. They will never admit to doing poorly and most often will claim that they find "X" subject easy. Of course if you look at the class averages you will see that everyone is not doing as awesome as they let on. Its all part of the medical vibe of making people feel inferior to you.

Yeah, I had a conversation with some gunneresq types a while ago, and they kept on talking about how easy everything was. I started to fall into it until I realized they were probably full of cr@p.

Try reading a question and imagining which critical concept the question is designed to test. IMHO, they like to put questions on the exam concerning items they really want you to remember.

That goes for reasoning stuff like physio, but I think that in anatomy there's just a ton of random BS and they grab questions and answers out of a hat.

My demoralization is from a different source. I just feel like I'm not gaining that much of value this year. I was reading this article about happiness, and they said happy people generally feel like their work is useful and productive. The first year of medical school just does not feel useful to me because it's so much memorization of seemingly worthless stuff.

Really? I was actually surprised at how useful the stuff is. I had it drummed into my head from so many people that M1=worthless basic science gobbeldegook but it really hasn't been like that. There was 2 months of that (Genetics/Biochem), but things like micro are at least semi-interesting and more importantly it seems like applicable stuff I ought to know for boards and just in general as a doctor.

I've been studying my face off for my upcoming exams...

Talk to me in a week and I'll show you demoralized

Yeah, I had a conversation with some gunneresq types a while ago, and they kept on talking about how easy everything was. I started to fall into it until I realized they were probably full of cr@p.

lol That's annoying as hell. I can't help but laugh at that stuff, it's so chump change-ish.

Really? I was actually surprised at how useful the stuff is. I had it drummed into my head from so many people that M1=worthless basic science gobbeldegook but it really hasn't been like that. There was 2 months of that (Genetics/Biochem), but things like micro are at least semi-interesting and more importantly it seems like applicable stuff I ought to know for boards and just in general as a doctor.

Well, we don't do micro until next year. I can see where physiology, some histology and some human behavior are useful for being a doc, but that's about it. I've spent most of my time memorizing excessive details for anatomy, biochem and neuro, which I doubt will be useful in my practice and are supposedly only minimally represented on the boards. So yeah, I feel like most of my education for this year has been a waste. Does your school have a more progressive curriculum?

Well, we don't do micro until next year. I can see where physiology, some histology and some human behavior are useful for being a doc, but that's about it. I've spent most of my time memorizing excessive details for anatomy, biochem and neuro, which I doubt will be useful in my practice and are supposedly only minimally represented on the boards. So yeah, I feel like most of my education for this year has been a waste. Does your school have a more progressive curriculum?

Don't worry, I'm sure that you'll find micro to be even more worthless save for the antibiotics (which are actually taught as part of pharm).

I have yet to regret learning anything I've learned in medical school. I'd say a good 85% of what I've learned is useful - especially the physiology (although I despise Physiology).

I guess so. A block system probably makes a big difference, because you don't really have time to get tired of stuff and it gets the crappy classes (biochem) out of the way fast. The idea of having anatomy for an entire year makes me want to stab myself in the eye with a highlighter.

Also don't forget that you have the option to blow off select classes if you hate the material (and are at a H/P/F or P/F school). I basically took a vacation during genetics because I didn't give a crap about the material and passing was very easy, which left me fresh and ready to own the next class.

Yeah I bombed my last physio test, and was really surprised at the number of people that attended the tutoring session for struggling students . . . everyone seems pretty confident most of the time. I find that the people who freak out more openly are the ones that are really doing great but psych themselves out, those who are really struggling seem to do so very quietly. Its really easy to not know what your proffs are expecting of you for an exam. I bombed that physio exam because I didn't memorize a bunch of graphs, totally got the concepts but didn't focus on the stupid graphs. Now that I realize that graphs aren't just there to help you get the big picture I'm hoping to do better on the next one, but who knows. All you can do is give it your all and promise not to beat yourself up if it doesn't work out. And then give it your all again.

3rd year. Imagine busting your but on the wards, with little sleep and doing above 90th percentile on shelf and in house exams, but just getting a P as a grade cause your subjective evals are medicore. Add to that putting on about 15 pounds of lard to your gut cause you are too tired to work out, and your pants don't fit anymore so u walk around with the top button on your pants unbuttoned and you have to buy new belts cause you went from 31 inch waist to >34 inch waist in less then 6 months. :(

Hear hear

How about not getting honors because, despite being recommended for honors and acing the shelf, my attending's recommendation was "adjusted" for his lack of seniority...WTF

Hear hear

How about not getting honors because, despite being recommended for honors and acing the shelf, my attending's recommendation was "adjusted" for his lack of seniority...WTF

WTF is right.

You beat me on that one, man does that suck a$$.

So be warned all you first and second years. I was looking forward to getting on the wards, out of the class room and working with patients, that part I still much enjoy. But the subjective evals in 3rd blows. One attending might say you are the greatest thing since sliced bread cause you were lucky enough to have just read something and have been able to answer his pimp Q on it early in the rotation, hence forth he well think of you as a star. And another attending well think of you as not worthy to carry a bed pan on that same rotation. It well be later attendings eval of you that well be on your final eval for the rotation, with no mention from the attending that thought you were smart.:(

I guess so. A block system probably makes a big difference, because you don't really have time to get tired of stuff and it gets the crappy classes (biochem) out of the way fast. The idea of having anatomy for an entire year makes me want to stab myself in the eye with a highlighter.

Hi,
I'm trying to choose between 2 schools VCU and Univ. of Kansas. VCU uses a traditional discipline-based block system in first year and UK is organ-based system. I'm not sure which is better of these two as far as learning the material in the most productive way and not spending so much time learning unnecessary details in biochem and anatomy. Maybe pros and cons? Thanks.

Hi,
I'm trying to choose between 2 schools VCU and Univ. of Kansas. VCU uses a traditional discipline-based block system in first year and UK is organ-based system. I'm not sure which is better of these two as far as learning the material in the most productive way and not spending so much time learning unnecessary details in biochem and anatomy. Maybe pros and cons? Thanks.

Choose the one that you are a resident of. BTW, if you go to Kansas and call it UK, they will paint you blue and red in your sleep.

How did this Q wind up on this thread? Sorry to stray from the topic.

Hi,

I have heard that organ based systems are less tideous and better, I am yet to confirm that though.