Denied for Accomodation for extra time.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kuma

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got an email from act.org on my MCAT request for time and a half. I was denied, I'm shocked as I have been diagnosed with ADD, and Dyslexia since I was 8. I went to a private school specializing in educating Dyslexics (Charles Armstrong) for two years. Repeated a grade in junior high, the entire time I would have extra time on tests. Then went to a public high school had time and a half on tests, got a 3.9, had extra time on the SAT. My verbal was well below my Math, and was accepted to UC Berkeley. I graduated in 5 years taking a reduced class schedule at some points, and having extra time on all Exams.

I am currently at a Post Bac program, and just had my Psychoeducational testing re-done. I submitted my request for extra time. Two days before the dead line (could this be a reason why?) And I just got denied. I'm completely stunned, I was unsure if I was going to take the April Test. I know I will not now.

I am going to resubmit my request.

But my question is has anyone had anything similar happen to them? And resubmitted and gotten accepted for extra time?

"Scores on the enclosed evaluation and history both indicate significant strength in academic performance. Therefore, we are unable to provide the requested changes and modifications to the standard administration procedures of the MCAT." From the email I received.

I'm not sure what I should do? Besides study like crazy for the April test.

Members don't see this ad.

I really dont mean to be an ass, but what exactly do you plan on doing during medical school? The premise of medical school is tons of information thrown at you in a short period of time.

Originally posted by bgreet
I really dont mean to be an ass, but what exactly do you plan on doing during medical school? The premise of medical school is tons of information thrown at you in a short period of time.

same thing I was thinking. Seriously, med schools will not give you time and a half on tests, so why do you expect AAMC to. In the end, it's kinda like letting a blind doctor do surgery just because he has a handicap. Some people are just not meant to do certain things.

It looks like the panel has decided your future.

Seriously though, what effect does ADD/ADHD medication have on your symptoms? Can that stuff not help on test day?

Members don't see this ad :)
The Technical Standards on Medical School Admission by LCME clearly state :

Candidates must be able to measure, calculate, reason, analyze and synthesize. Problem-solving, the critical skill demanded of physicians, requires all of these intellectual abilities. In order to complete the requirements for the MD degree, students must be able to demonstrate mastery of these skills and the ability to use them together in a timely fashion in medical problem-solving and patient care.

key word: timely fashion

To all you people dissing this guy because he asked for extra time realize that the Americans with Disabilities Act requires the AAMC to provide people with disabilities such as ADD with accomodations to help them. His disability should (and is required by law to be) treated just like any other disability. Anyway, do you really think that someone is going to be a bad doctor because they are a slow test taker?

I have no question as to whether or not he can be a good doctor, he could be wonderful. My only question is only in a practical sense and like I said I really wasn't meaning to be harsh. I'm just wondering if he has thought it through all the way as all med school really consists of is a pounding of information over a short span of time.

the Technical Standards issued by LCME conforms with the American Disabilities Act 1990... it was amended (exceptions granted) by law specifically for this profession.

Originally posted by Cerberus
To all you people dissing this guy because he asked for extra time realize that the Americans with Disabilities Act requires the AAMC to provide people with disabilities such as ADD with accomodations to help them. His disability should (and is required by law to be) treated just like any other disability. Anyway, do you really think that someone is going to be a bad doctor because they are a slow test taker?

Thank you! Take it easy guys. He can indeed be a wonderful doctor in the future and get through medical school as well. The MCAT does not respresent medical school (with the exception of USMLE / boards - ifeven those are so long). So, if you could be granted extra time for these few exams, you'll be fine. I'd speak to a disabilities attorney just to make sure where you stand with these administrations. Hopefully they will point you in the right direction. Best of luck.

That is messed up, and I hope your appeal wins. I know there is a difference between applying after the April (versus the August) MCAT, though, and I'm sorry about that. :(

A couple of the above posts make some sense though...what's going to happen in med school? Would you be allowed time and a half for all tests? What about the USMLE, or clinical rotations' shelf exams? What about Step 2 CS (Clinical Skills), with standardized patients?

Not criticizing, just wondering. :confused:

WOW! I'm stunned at the response. Common people this person writes in looking for support and people give them more grief. Really not fair, tsk,tsk. Kuma I hope you get your extra time and if you don't good luck with whatever you decide to do. Don't let any negativity get to you only you decide what you are and are not capable of. Good luck.

Originally posted by kuma

I'm not sure what I should do? Besides study like crazy for the April test.

I think you should re-evaluate your situation. If you feel that you aren't ready to take the april mcat, take time off to study for the the august mcat. If it's an issue of not knowing your material well enough, and you, w/in ur personal control (i.e. choose to take mcat in august), can wait to be better prepared, i really think that's what u should do. If, it's an issue of truly handicapped by ur condition (out of ur control), then there might be some merit to ur claims. the fact that u'd write something like: "besides study like crazy for the april test" suggets that in fact, u might hope to use the extra time to componsensate for ur lack of studying. if that's the case, ur request isn't warranted. best of luck!