Dental 6 year degree? plz advice :)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

element_2nice

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, :)
Can somebody please recommend me some Dental colleges that offer 6 year dental degree in US or in any other country, which is approved by US or Canada? It doesn't matter for me if its private college or not but the teaching should be good.

I just finished my high school couple months ago and really want to get into 6 year Dental program before Sept.

Thanks for any help!

Cheers :D

Members don't see this ad.

Here's a list of accelerated programs:

Adelphi University with Tufts University
Boston University
Case Western Reserve
Case Western Reserve University
Marquette
Moravian (with Temple)
NYU
St. John's (with Columbia)
Stevens Institute of Technology
Tufts University
U Iowa
U Missouri--Kansas City
U Nebraska--Omaha
U Penn
U Texas--Austin
University of Minnesota
University of Pennsylvania
University of Southern California
University of the Pacific
Virginia Commonwealth University
Wilkes University with Temple University

Problem is that applications were probably due way back in November. Unless you already applied, it's unlikely you can make it in this fall.

crazy_sherm said:
UOP and BU offer accelerated dental programs, but it's unlikely you'll get in at this point. Applications were due way back in November.

Edit: Found a more comprehensive list.

Adelphi University with Tufts University
Boston University
Case Western Reserve
Case Western Reserve University
Marquette
Moravian (with Temple)
NYU
St. John's (with Columbia)
Tufts University
U Iowa
U Missouri--Kansas City
U Nebraska--Omaha
U Penn
U Texas--Austin
University of Minnesota
University of Pennsylvania
University of Southern California
University of the Pacific
Virginia Commonwealth University
Wilkes University with Temple University

Hey thanks for the quick reply! :D
Wow all those Universities offer 6 year dental program? Thank you...I will research on all of them.

Which one would you recommend among that list? BTW I'm from Canada.

Cheers :D

Problem is that applications were probably due way back in November. Unless you already applied, it's unlikely you can make it in this fall.
for all of them? :(

Members don't see this ad :)
crazy_sherm said:
is this the same stevens tech you see advertised on late night tv? :sleep:

element_2nice said:
for all of them? :(

I don't know for sure, but my understanding is that it's just like applying to any other undergrad program. You have to pretty much do it a year in advance.

syn_apse said:
is this the same stevens tech you see advertised on late night tv? :sleep:

Ha, that would be funny if it was. I really don't know much about the programs, I just googled accelerated dental programs and got that list.

are there any other Universities or college that offer 6 year dental degree besides what's already mentioned?

I seriously don't wanna waste a year.....I hope some college will accept me though I'm applying late for Sept classes. What about private college?

Still open for any suggestions.

Please advice. :)

Look, I think you just don't get it. There aren't any 6-7 year dental programs, much less 4-year universities that will even look at your application this late. You're seriously 6 months too late. Even schools that have spring admission are past due. The only thing you can do at this point is to either go to JC or wait another year.

How is it that you graduated high school in the middle of winter? Are there no college counselors at your school? Why didn't you think about college before actually finishing high school like most people? I'm not sure how it works in Canada, but everyone here has to get everything pretty much ready starting the spring of their junior year so they can apply in fall of their senior. You can't turn back the clock so you're just gonna have to suck it up. If you're in such a hurry,some dental schools do accept students without a degree, so you might only need 3 years of undergrad. But it's much harder to get in than if you graduate with a degree.

crazy_sherm I wasn't thinking about dentistry too seriously few months ago. That was the main reason why I didn't bother applying at any University.

Anyways, I know i can't go to any 6 year dentistry program now, but I will defiantly apply early for Fall 2007 semester.

I have already got an admission in BSc ( 3 year program) at my local college. So I will be starting here from fall 2006.

BTW how does GPA work? I mean when applying for dentistry do they only look at Science, English, and Math GPA or all courses taken in Grade 12?

I figure, now since I have some time before I apply for dentistry, why not improve my GPA by taking some extra courses that will help me get my GPA higher.

I was thinking of taking Phycology and Earth & Space Science or anything like that....

My question is, will those courses be in counted in my GPA? or what else I can take to improve my GPA? Please advice....