Dental Anatomy Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

garcia10

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Found a discrepancy with the 2009-2010 dental decks. In the dental anatomy section card 4 asks:

"Which of the following teeth have a trapezoidal outline when viewed from the labial/lingual aspect except one." The answer they have is canine.

Here is the discrepancy.....

Then on card 40 they ask: "Which surfaces have a trapezoidal outline?" The answer was the facial and lingual of all teeth.

Can someone clear this up for me.. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I noticed the same thing when i was studying. I always put pentagonal for the canines and premolars. Then trapezoidal for all other teeth. I think this is how it is in the released exams too.

Hi Garcia and lotexigeus,
- ALL teeth are fundamentally trapezoidal when viewed facially or lingually ; with the longer side on occlusal or incisal aspect of the tooth.

But when viewed from mesial or distal, teeth vary :
- INCISORS and CANINES are Triangular
- Posterior teeth : - maxillary postr are TRAPEZOIDAL with longer side on CERVICAL aspect of the tooth.
- mandibular postr are RHOMBOIDAL

Hope this helps ..
gudluck in preparation

-canine is pentagonal in facial n lingual view. (the answer u read was right)
- all facial n lingual surfaces as i have explained above have trapezoidal appearance except canine..(which is true too)
thats it..i hope its clear garcia..
gudluck with prep