Dental Anesthesiology Residency advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GiardiaSpaghetti

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am currently a 3rd year student at a P/F dental school and I am considering to apply for dental anesthesiology residency this cycle. The program in Chicago recommends taking the CBSE and I am planning to take it this August. I will also take the ADAT before then. I would like to do an externship, but due to covid things are more complicated now. I feel I am a bit late in the process, but what are my realistic chances of getting in, being straight out of dental school w/o an AEGD/GPR? Any advice on how to better my chances would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely don’t need a GPR or AEGD to get accepted. What I would say though is contact the schools and ask if you can speak to the residents or set up a meeting with the program directors. I did this and had some awesome chats with residents and one on one video calls with program directors and it is a way for them to get to know you pre-application cycle. It also shows you are driven for this career. This at least gives you a step ahead of the crowd since you can’t do externships.

At the end of the day a lot of it comes down to scores and your drive. They want people who can handle the rigorous residency and who are truly passionate about anesthesia.

Reactions: 1 users