Dental Assistant jobs really hard to find!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

2BAdentist

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am having no luck in finding a dental assistant position. I have never worked as a dental assistant but I have shadowed a dentist which I know does not count as experience. I tried everything which is searching online and sending my resumes, going to offices and submitting my resumes and filling out applications, newspapers etc but no body is willing to even invite me for an interview. Its really funny how this world works. So in the real world a lot of things have to do with experience and not really your degree I just graduated with an M.S. and I am desperately looking for a job. I need money desperately. You may be highly qualified and a college graduate but a person with a high school diploma will get the job for the dental assistant position.
So now I need to start immediately for the summer since I am totally broke and have two job offers. First is at a front desk at a motel working the night shift for $7.50/ hour and another job at a restaurant as a busser for $8.00/ hr. This busser job can be pretty stressing and humiliating. I think it can bring your morale down since I am supposed to clean up after guests leave and arrange the tables plus sweeping and cleaning. I dont think I will be comfortable with this. I am not sure if I should consider the busser position. What does everyone think? Even the interviewer told me to think twice before starting this job since I am highly qualified for this position. I am trying to decide which one to pick. I am really depressed also. I am thinking the front desk job experience in the motel may help me in applying for a position at a dental office front desk later on. All responses will be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

There's no need to express your frustration with finding a job in a dental clinic. It's not your fault.

Meanwhile, focus on what you can do to survive by taking any jobs available...and on the side, try to build the strongest application possible by contacting dental schools etc.

And to the best of my knowledge, a small % of dental students worked as dental assistants. don't feel left out.

Maybe just take the job. You're broke right? It'll give you some money while you work on finding something else. Overqualified or not, it's a paycheck. Maybe you could work the bussing job in the afternoon, the desk clerk job at night and sleep in the mornings. That's two paychecks.

Hey, don't get down. We've all (or at least a lot of us have) been in ****ty jobs before, but you can't think of it as a demeaning job. You have to think of it as a way to support yourself while you're working for something better. It pays the bills while you're filling out apps and studying for the DAT. It's all worth it in the end. Keep putting yourself out there as a dental assistant or maybe even look for a dental lab that does contract work in your area. Local universities and colleges are great places to get research experience which helps an app also. Don't give up and don't get discouraged.

And good luck applying!

Members don't see this ad :)
The way in the door is to offer to volunteer a few times a week doing sterilization or filing and such. As you are in the office express intresest in all that is going on. Go the extra mile, stay late, to things that show the Dr. you are serious. Then he will give you the opportunity. Some Dr's aren't really willing, because you are short term, they don't think you will take it seriously. If the dr can see you have a strong work ethic he will give you the chance. Take it from me I have done that and now have work 2 full years as a dental assistant with only on the job training. I do anything he allows the other assistants to do. It works, but it takes time. Good luck.

Surely someone with a Masters degree would be able to find a better paying job than one at a motel. You aren't looking in the right places.

I know what you mean. Actually, I have over five years of research experience in genomics and I quit my job in research to focus on finishing my masters. Research will help your application but not more than actually working as a dental assistant since its directly related. I do not want to be in research for now. These low paying jobs are going to be a motivating factor for me. I know it may sound strange.

I know what you mean. Actually, I have over five years of research experience in genomics and I quit my job in research to focus on finishing my masters. Research will help your application but not more than actually working as a dental assistant since its directly related. I do not want to be in research for now. These low paying jobs are going to be a motivating factor for me. I need this to keep me motivated.

Wow, I was told that genetics and genomics was a pretty hot field right now! That does seem strange.

I would look at UPS, they are always hiring at $10 part time or full. They also give $1500 per semester toward tuition, books and living expenses.

Wow, I was told that genetics and genomics was a pretty hot field right now! That does seem strange.

I love Genomics and Genomics is a pretty hot field now but I also need a little break from lab environment. I did my final research project for my masters in genomics. I need some change and thats all and a dental assistant position would be great. Whenever you work in a research lab at a technician or an assistant level for a long time like over five years then it starts to get to you mentally. If you are a Ph.D then its a different story. I mean you start looking around for different things to do. All the guys that started the research position with me left in a couple of years and I managed to actually pull over five years in a research lab. I definitely need a little change for some time :).

Are you a guy? If so, you should go to a dental clinic and ask to volunteer and do basic sterilization for a month or two, then afterwards see if they ar willing to hire you. If you are not, then you shouldn't have any problems. You are probably looking in the wrong direction, since I believe you are qualified for the job with the laboratory skills you have. It is hard to train assistants though, and maybe that's why they dont' hire a lot of dental assistants that are not CDAs.

You have a masters job and you're having a hard time finding a job paying more than $7.00 an hour? You've GOT to be kidding me. You could pul $50k a year easily and work towards becoming an assistant. You get the experience the old fashion way...YOU EARN IT! Take your masters and get a good paying job and stop complaining about how it's so hard to get a job. A masters, come on now. Suck it up and get a real job and work towards getting the assistant position. You don't HAVE to work in a dental office.

Ever think that an admission committee would ask you why you took a job paying $7 an hour when you could make FOUR TIMES THAT USING YOUR DEGREE?

I started out volunteering at a clinic for months, then the doctor I volunteered for decided to hire me as an assistant. Then with that experience I applied to other jobs and got a couple of other job offers. It takes time, but you can do it.

I agree with all the above posters. I volunteered one day a week for the past 8 months in an office and now that one of their assistants is out they hired me to be a paid assistant. (I work another full time job another 5 days a week). Takes time, but it's great experience.