Dental assistant jobs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aznnytezx

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I am a male Texan, and I was wondering how hard is it for a male to get a dental assistant job?

Members don't see this ad.

From my experience (8 years): I've seen 3 male dental assistants in 3 different offices. It's not usual, but I think it's because not alot of males decide to dental assist. It's definitly possible!!

Alright, Thanks! That sounds more encouraging!

From my experience (8 years): I've seen 3 male dental assistants in 3 different offices. It's not usual, but I think it's because not alot of males decide to dental assist. It's definitly possible!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Getting dental assistant positions can be tricky and difficult because there are a number of reasons they may choose not to pick you:

1) If they know you're applying to dental school and want someone long-term... but offices vary from dentist to dentist. Some are willing to train and it depends on the circumstances. If you still have a year to go before matriculation, then some offices will be okay with that, but other offices won't. (I learned that the hard way)

2) If they want a certain number of months/years of experience (which means someone who is experienced that applies for the job will probably end up getting the job over you)

3) You need a X-ray license, probably the most important criteria to them

For several months, I went on 5-7 DA interviews and didn't get the job. Eventually, I was able to find an office that accepted me but that comes with a little bit of luck I think.

It probably doesn't matter if you are male or female for the job, I don't think.

Last edited:
How do you get an X-ray license?

Also, Thanks for the input!

I would most definitely try to go through few dental offices to find a job!

Getting dental assistant positions can be tricky and difficult because there are a number of reasons they may choose not to pick you:

1) If they know you're applying to dental school and want someone long-term... but offices vary from dentist to dentist. Some are willing to train and it depends on the circumstances. If you still have a year to go before matriculation, then some offices will be okay with that, but other offices won't. (I learned that the hard way)

2) If they want a certain number of months/years of experience (which means someone who is experienced that applies for the job will probably end up getting the job over you)

3) You need an X-ray license, probably the most important criteria to them

For several months, I went on 5-7 DA interviews and didn't get the job. Eventually, I was able to find an office that accepted me but that comes with a little bit of luck I think.

It probably doesn't matter if you are male or female for the job, I don't think.

You can get X-ray certified at a dental assisting school. I never went through the dental assisting program itself, but I did the certification through a school that taught others to be dental assistants. It was a private-owned place.

It's more like signing up for the X-ray course rather than doing the whole program. You pay several hundred dollars, and then you work towards the certification. It doesn't take too long as long as you are determined. I'm from CA and a X-ray license doesn't expire/lasts a lifetime! =)

Some places also like to see that you're CPR certified but not all places require it, some like it if you have coronal polishing license (which I don't think it's completely necessary, but it helps you land a job better).

Working at McD would be a much better experience than a position as a DA.