Dental assisting vs. Shadowing? what looks better ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Confusedstudent1113

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had visited a dental office twice over the past couple of months just helping out the dental assistants, watching the dentist on some of their procedures, with the hopes of one day asking the dentist if they would allow me to "officially" shadow them (My friend works there as a dental assistant and her mom as a hygienist) . I didn't want to ask straight off without really getting to know the dentist or anything. However, before I could even ask, they have given me the opportunity to train me to be able to assist the dentist during an employee's vacation time. I was just wondering if i should be focusing more on shadowing or is the dental assisting a form of shadowing and would be accounted for when applying to dental schools. Training would probably take up the rest of my summer so im really conflicted on what i should be focusing on because i don't want to waste another summer when I'll be going back to university in the fall. It's literally driving me crazy! I have tried looking on the ADEA website and haven't found any specifics on the topic. Thank you so much in advance for any replies!

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone can shadow but not everybody will assist.

Reactions: 1 user
Or, not everyone wants to assist.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would definitely shadow as much as possible! you will need shadowing hours whereas you do not need assisting hours... most schools will not consider it shadowing if you were paid so if it were me I would focus on shadowing. Instead of training to assist, spend that extra time studying for the DAT or doing well in your classes!

And or not everyone is able to assist depending on state laws and the ability to find a dentist who is willing to waste time and money on training an assistant on the job. Assisting adds to your application, but it won't be the sole reason from your application that you gain an acceptance

Paid assisting is not shadowing so you will need both. Do the training and assist if you have the time and it won't affect you academically, however if it interferes with your studying, shadowing or volunteering, I would not do it.

Anyone can shadow but not everybody will assist.
Echo this. If anything, just the familiarity that you'll get working on a mouth will be huge. Sure, it helps your application, but more importantly you will be more comfortable working with living breathing humans (gasp). It helps me every day, and frequently faculty comment to me how confidently I work with patients, which I attribute in part to my assisting for a year before school.

Reactions: 1 users
Shadowing is very common and required in my opinion so If you want to be accepted you need to do more than what expected of you (shadowing and volunteering). So I would say do both and even do other activities that would show how interested in dentistry you are. And don’t do these activities to just write them on your applications. Make sure you have a basic understanding of the procedures etc. you may be asked about them on your interview (I was asked).

Shadowing is better, but nothing beats a high gpa and dat score.