Dental care in dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ranelar

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This has possibly been asked before, but I couldn't find the right keywords in my search. I'm wondering if dental students get an additional discount over what the public gets for any work done at the school? I want to get braces, but I can't afford it right now.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
some schools all dental work is free... minus lab costs. Not sure about braces. You can make your own whitening trays which is cool.

that would be neat :p I guess I should have asked this in the dental forum instead of pre-dental.

Members don't see this ad :)
this is a great question, i often wondered this but never posted on it! i def need a few connective tissue grafts but i dont have insurance. i'll probably just wait until school starts. not a great idea, but im not dishing out $1000/graft at this point.

I have heard from past dentists that I've worked with that in their dental schools, it was very common to see students with braces and even receiving various dental surgeries.

I just can't recall if they said the treatments were free or not.

I don't need any invasive work but I'd be down for some free cleanings!

When I interviewed at U of Michigan, the students told me that they get big discounts on braces and many students get them while they are in dental school. :)

Anyone know about Tufts specifically?

I want free whitening!

Id go for the whole sheebang, get all my teeth yanked and have them put in porcelain vaneers.

Nah, j/k but i would definitely go for braces or invisiline and a whole bunch of whitenings.

Id go for the whole sheebang, get all my teeth yanked and have them put in porcelain vaneers.

Nah, j/k but i would definitely go for braces or invisiline and a whole bunch of whitenings.

You'd get your teeth yanked, and have them put in veneers? Hmm.. you should do more shadowing.

veneer gums...

it's very interesting & fun topic.

Btw, I will soon visit a dentist to check up my teeth. I probably have to do several dental treatments. Recently, I could sometimes feel the pain when I drink really cold water.

However, I don't want to go to dental clinics as a patient. It's still really scary~~ :scared:

My brother is a D3 and just got braces, they were not free or discounted. He does however receive all sorts of surgeries and other procedures for free at his school.

I know Buffalo is free, but I believe the lab work is charged. I know 4th years who had invisalign done at the school for $1,500, they said regular braces are $2,500.

Well, at Tufts, from what I heard, you get discounts but not everything is free. I have a friend at BU (3rd year) and he said they get just about everything free. He even got braces. I wish Tufts was more like that.

At Temple I believe it is very nearly free. I think it is just lab fees. Invisalign was $130 and braces like $1000. I saw a couple of d students with braces on.

anyone know about UMDNJ?