• Livestream AMA: Join SDN as we welcome Dr. John Ligon, a Pediatric Oncologist with the National Cancer Institute on May 11th at 8:00 PM Eastern. Register now!

Ranelar

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
This has possibly been asked before, but I couldn't find the right keywords in my search. I'm wondering if dental students get an additional discount over what the public gets for any work done at the school? I want to get braces, but I can't afford it right now.

Last edited:

nydds25

10+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2008
Status (Visible)
some schools all dental work is free... minus lab costs. Not sure about braces. You can make your own whitening trays which is cool.

Ranelar

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Mar 14, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
that would be neat :p I guess I should have asked this in the dental forum instead of pre-dental.

About the Ads

hoss19

half iron, half man
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 1, 2007
Bawlmore
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
this is a great question, i often wondered this but never posted on it! i def need a few connective tissue grafts but i dont have insurance. i'll probably just wait until school starts. not a great idea, but im not dishing out $1000/graft at this point.

Hopeful20

10+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
I have heard from past dentists that I've worked with that in their dental schools, it was very common to see students with braces and even receiving various dental surgeries.

I just can't recall if they said the treatments were free or not.

coambis

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
When I interviewed at U of Michigan, the students told me that they get big discounts on braces and many students get them while they are in dental school. :)

klutzy1987

StudyingSucks Letsgo Mets
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 28, 2008
New York
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
Id go for the whole sheebang, get all my teeth yanked and have them put in porcelain vaneers.

Nah, j/k but i would definitely go for braces or invisiline and a whole bunch of whitenings.

nydds25

10+ Year Member
Dec 3, 2008
Status (Visible)
Id go for the whole sheebang, get all my teeth yanked and have them put in porcelain vaneers.

Nah, j/k but i would definitely go for braces or invisiline and a whole bunch of whitenings.

You'd get your teeth yanked, and have them put in veneers? Hmm.. you should do more shadowing.

visbimmer79

Cornellian
10+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2008
Seoul, Korea
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
it's very interesting & fun topic.

Btw, I will soon visit a dentist to check up my teeth. I probably have to do several dental treatments. Recently, I could sometimes feel the pain when I drink really cold water.

However, I don't want to go to dental clinics as a patient. It's still really scary~~ :scared:

kamandsam

10+ Year Member
Nov 17, 2008
California
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
My brother is a D3 and just got braces, they were not free or discounted. He does however receive all sorts of surgeries and other procedures for free at his school.

apollo2bd

10+ Year Member
Oct 7, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
I know Buffalo is free, but I believe the lab work is charged. I know 4th years who had invisalign done at the school for $1,500, they said regular braces are $2,500.

smoham03

10+ Year Member
Dec 8, 2008
Maine
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Dental
Well, at Tufts, from what I heard, you get discounts but not everything is free. I have a friend at BU (3rd year) and he said they get just about everything free. He even got braces. I wish Tufts was more like that.

Simiam

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2007
Philly
Status (Visible)
  1. Dental Student
At Temple I believe it is very nearly free. I think it is just lab fees. Invisalign was $130 and braces like $1000. I saw a couple of d students with braces on.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.