Dental careers q&a

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bwilber

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello does becoming a dental hygienist or any careers of the like help you become a DDS?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello does becoming a dental hygienist or any careers of the like help you become a DDS?

Can show commitment to the field but still no guarantees.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
There are some programs I believe the only one I've seen is the Univeristy of Southern California.

dentistry.usc.edu/programs/dental-hygiene/dh-dds/

I was told the schools like dental personal because they can excel in years three and four; however, if you're working in the dental field, that means you're no longer a full time student, and that makes then nervous about if you can handle year one and two. I was told I wasn't accepted last year because I needed to prove I could be a good full time student. Because if I couldn't get past year one and two, it didn't matter how good I was clinically for year three and four.

I was told the schools like dental personal because they can excel in years three and four; however, if you're working in the dental field, that means you're no longer a full time student, and that makes then nervous about if you can handle year one and two. I was told I wasn't accepted last year because I needed to prove I could be a good full time student. Because if I couldn't get past year one and two, it didn't matter how good I was clinically for year three and four.

Can you explain that a little more?

I am confused by this. Wouldn't your undergraduate GPA, when you presumably were a full-time student, speak to your ability of being a full-time student?

Can you explain that a little more?

Year one and two are all class room work and little clinical. Since I wasn't a full time student (worked full time as a dental assistant several years and took 4 credit hours in the evenings for the last 5 semesters) they were afraid I had lost some of my study skills. It was brought up again this past interviewing cycle. Lucky for me I had quit my job and went to school full time this past spring semester so I could prove I could still be a good student. They don't like having to dismiss someone after two years of school, because the school work load is too much to handle, when the student has already taking out 100K in student loans, and now has no career to pay them back. My GPA is a 3.62 over all and 3.74 science, but they still worry about people who are not currently full time.

I am confused by this. Wouldn't your undergraduate GPA, when you presumably were a full-time student, speak to your ability of being a full-time student?
What's really funny is the school who told me they worried about me not being a full time student is the same school I did my undergrad work at several years ago.

Year one and two are all class room work and little clinical. Since I wasn't a full time student (worked full time as a dental assistant several years and took 4 credit hours in the evenings for the last 5 semesters) they were afraid I had lost some of my study skills. It was brought up again this past interviewing cycle. Lucky for me I had quit my job and went to school full time this past spring semester so I could prove I could still be a good student. They don't like having to dismiss someone after two years of school, because the school work load is too much to handle, when the student has already taking out 100K in student loans, and now has no career to pay them back. My GPA is a 3.62 over all and 3.74 science, but they still worry about people who are not currently full time.

Wait did the dental school accept you on the basis that you were a dental assistant or did you become a dental assistant after you got accepted?

Wait did the dental school accept you on the basis that you were a dental assistant or did you become a dental assistant after you got accepted?
I've been a dental assistant for years. A couple years ago I decided to go to dental school. I'm still trying to get in. Last year I was told I still needed to prove myself as a student. I only had one interview.

I've been a dental assistant for years. A couple years ago I decided to go to dental school. I'm still trying to get in. Last year I was told I still needed to prove myself as a student. I only had one interview.
So you are saying that you got into to dental school on the basis of your experience?

Besides the interview

So you are saying that you got into to dental school on the basis of your experience?
I'm not in dental school. I'm still applying. I was told last year, that even though I graduated with a 3.62 GPA, I had been out of school working as a dental assistant for too long, and they were afraid I had lost my studying skills. So being a full time student is more important than experience. However, if you compare full time student to full time student, then experience makes the difference.

What's really funny is the school who told me they worried about me not being a full time student is the same school I did my undergrad work at several years ago.

That's interesting. I would imagine that going to school and working full time with your GPA would be evidence enough of your ability to manage your time. Also, I would argue that nobody is really prepared for the workload in DS unless you have previously attended another health related professional program, since undergrad is vastly different than DS.

I am also a non traditional applicant right now, but I have yet to be questioned about my ability or lack thereof to be a full time student. If anything, most schools have been happy to see that I have developed time management skills for succsully balancing a masters program and working full time.

That's interesting. I would imagine that going to school and working full time with your GPA would be evidence enough of your ability to manage your time. Also, I would argue that nobody is really prepared for the workload in DS unless you have previously attended another health related professional program, since undergrad is vastly different than DS.

I am also a non traditional applicant right now, but I have yet to be questioned about my ability or lack thereof to be a full time student. If anything, most schools have been happy to see that I have developed time management skills for succsully balancing a masters program and working full time.

How much of a chance would that increase when your app is being reviewed?

How much of a chance would that increase when your app is being reviewed?
I'm not sure that I'm understanding your question exactly, so let me know if I'm not.

To me, it seemed that my interviewers liked that I had other experiences and they often seemed to see it as a strength. However, my work experience was not dental related, so I am unsure if ADCOMs looked at differently.