Dental decks came today!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aphistis

Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
We don't take the NDBE until after second year, but after a few years of lackluster Part I performance, my class is taking some initiative to try bucking the trend. We have dental decks built into our second-year tuition, but they came in today. I've only given them a cursory glance, but the format looks like it'll mesh perfectly with my study style. The color-coding is nice, too.

If anybody else has a set of the new decks, what do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

What are dental decks?

Members don't see this ad :)
200 bucks??? Are they worth it?

Our class just got them also. The number of cards there are overwhelming but when I actually looked at the cards, I was surprised at how much info I actually retained from this year :laugh: There's definitely some touching up to do, not to mention the classes we haven't taken yet, but if those are the types of questions that are going to be on the actual exam, then it seems very doable.

I have sign up with toymed . It for free this year. Try toymed or kaplan.com

:D

Dental Dream

actually, if you can somehow get a group of 50 or more people to buy them with you, the price goes down to $160. That's basically what our class did to get the group discount.

and if you really don't want to pay that much either, you can go to the advertising section on sdn or even ask around your dental school to see who's selling your old ones. the only difference between the new dental decks and old ones is that the new ones are color coded so that it makes it easier for you to look up a card by topic.

HOpe that helps!

xc1999

And what in the heck is toymed????

Dentaldream said:
200 bucks??? Are they worth it?
It probably depends on the individual, but I think they'll be extremely beneficial for me. The flashcard questions seem to mimic board items well, and the answer sides are concise and informative. This looks like it could end up being my highest-yield review tool.

Think of it this way. $200 is roughly 3 textbooks that you may never touch. Yet, these dental decks have far more relevent and easily accessable information that's useful compared to those 3 texts combined. It's a small investment for the one thing that has a significant impact on your dental school career.

$200 bucks is totally worth it.

Hey, aphistis, is it just the cards that are in the 2004 version? Any computerized practice exams or anything with them? I haven't checked the decks website yet.

drPheta said:
Think of it this way. $200 is roughly 3 textbooks that you may never touch. Yet, these dental decks have far more relevent and easily accessable information that's useful compared to those 3 texts combined.
I never thought of it that way. That's a great point.

To answer your question, the paper cards are all I've received, and I haven't heard word of any electronic materials being distributed.

To Bill-- I love the new Decks format. Much better, in my opinion, than the previous format. The color-coding puts me at ease, also.

To DentalDream-- completely worth the price. You could study those, and if you REALLY know the information contained on them, you could do quite well on the NBDE. The Decks are nice because you can just grab a handful of them when you are on the go, and it gives you plenty of material to review.

I've actually used them as review for some of the exams we've had lately.

The group discount is an excellent way to go, of course.

You can also find old Decks (I'm selling mine!) for sale all over the place.