Mar 13, 2010
Status
Well I read somewhere that the high-speed drills that dentists use to clean their patients' teeth are going to cause dentists to have hearing loss gradually. Is this true?

Impulse155

5+ Year Member
Nov 21, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
where did you read this? And if you think about it, eventually everything will cause hearing loss.

cloverfield

10+ Year Member
Feb 5, 2009
Status
Dental Student
Do you guys know if getting a lasik/lasek surgery is usually not recommended for doctors who do surgeries, like dentists?

doc toothache

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2006
Status
Dentist
It is always nice to have someone/something to blame for our misfortune, not to mention using headphones/car stereo system at a level that will rattle the cars in the vicinity. One certainly wonders what vintage highspeed handpiece the article makes reference to that are as loud as a lawnmower.

Last edited:

SeattleRDH

Moderator Emeritus
Mar 10, 2010
Duh
Status
Well I read somewhere that the high-speed drills that dentists use to clean their patients' teeth are going to cause dentists to have hearing loss gradually. Is this true?
High speed handpieces are not used for cleaning teeth. The ultrasonic scaler is (Cavitron). I know many hygienists who use the Cavitron on every patient and I wonder what the long-term affect will be on their hearing. I prefer to hand-scale whenever possible just to be safe. I wonder if disability insurance covers hearing loss. Probably not.

doc toothache

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2006
Status
Dentist
High speed handpieces are not used for cleaning teeth. The ultrasonic scaler is (Cavitron). I know many hygienists who use the Cavitron on every patient and I wonder what the long-term affect will be on their hearing. I prefer to hand-scale whenever possible just to be safe. I wonder if disability insurance covers hearing loss. Probably not.
Densply might be best advised to issue earmuffs with each unit sold.

dl9006

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 2, 2008
Status
Dental Student
Do you guys know if getting a lasik/lasek surgery is usually not recommended for doctors who do surgeries, like dentists?

oh really?? where did you hear that?

that's too bad. i wanted to get lasik...

Oct 22, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
hmm the cavitron never bothered me. i feel like it does a better job than scaling by hand, though the best of both worlds is when you get scaling + the cavitron :)