Dental equipment causes hearing loss?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biomajor1234

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well I read somewhere that the high-speed drills that dentists use to clean their patients' teeth are going to cause dentists to have hearing loss gradually. Is this true?

Members don't see this ad.

where did you read this? And if you think about it, eventually everything will cause hearing loss.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you guys know if getting a lasik/lasek surgery is usually not recommended for doctors who do surgeries, like dentists?

It is always nice to have someone/something to blame for our misfortune, not to mention using headphones/car stereo system at a level that will rattle the cars in the vicinity. One certainly wonders what vintage highspeed handpiece the article makes reference to that are as loud as a lawnmower.

Last edited:
Well I read somewhere that the high-speed drills that dentists use to clean their patients' teeth are going to cause dentists to have hearing loss gradually. Is this true?
High speed handpieces are not used for cleaning teeth. The ultrasonic scaler is (Cavitron). I know many hygienists who use the Cavitron on every patient and I wonder what the long-term affect will be on their hearing. I prefer to hand-scale whenever possible just to be safe. I wonder if disability insurance covers hearing loss. Probably not.

High speed handpieces are not used for cleaning teeth. The ultrasonic scaler is (Cavitron). I know many hygienists who use the Cavitron on every patient and I wonder what the long-term affect will be on their hearing. I prefer to hand-scale whenever possible just to be safe. I wonder if disability insurance covers hearing loss. Probably not.

Densply might be best advised to issue earmuffs with each unit sold.

Do you guys know if getting a lasik/lasek surgery is usually not recommended for doctors who do surgeries, like dentists?

oh really?? where did you hear that?

that's too bad. i wanted to get lasik...

hmm the cavitron never bothered me. i feel like it does a better job than scaling by hand, though the best of both worlds is when you get scaling + the cavitron :)

Dental equipment causes hearing loss? thats it, Im going back to pre-med

'Although he has a family history of hearing loss...."

:confused:

life is hectic

.Hi Biomajor,.
.I have read your post. Can u please tell me more what did you read about hearing loss..