Dental experience and dental school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bwilber

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello how does working as a dental hygienist or an assistant help when it comes to dental school admissions?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It may help in that it means you have previous experience/exposure to the field of dentistry. Beyond that, I personally don't believe it gives you a significant advantage in terms of competitiveness for admission.

Are you considering becoming a dental hygienist or assistant solely for the purpose of dental school admissions?

Hello how does working as a dental hygienist or an assistant help when it comes to dental school admissions?

I asked three dentists what their opinion was.
2 thought it was a good way to provide clinical experience
1 thought you'll get clinical experience in school anyway so it's not crucial.

Members don't see this ad :)
I applied last cycle and didn’t get accepted. Since applying last June, I started working as a dental assistant. I know that dental office inside and out and could probably run it with my eyes closed at this point. I applied this cycle and got accepted. 100% believe I got in this year because of this. I had already graduated so I had the same GPA as the previous cycle and did not retake the DAT because I liked my first score. I think it’s worth it to get a job in an office. You seriously get so much experience.

Reactions: 1 users
I applied last cycle and didn’t get accepted. Since applying last June, I started working as a dental assistant. I know that dental office inside and out and could probably run it with my eyes closed at this point. I applied this cycle and got accepted. 100% believe I got in this year because of this. I had already graduated so I had the same GPA as the previous cycle and did not retake the DAT because I liked my first score. I think it’s worth it to get a job in an office. You seriously get so much experience.
I agree that it's an incredibly valuable experience. I've been considering whether leaving a research position to be a dental assistant would be worth it to be able to apply this cycle. Do you have any thoughts on this?

I agree that it's an incredibly valuable experience. I've been considering whether leaving a research position to be a dental assistant would be worth it to be able to apply this cycle. Do you have any thoughts on this?
The current cycle or next June? I think it’s worth it, at least it was for me because I got accepted this year! It’s worth looking into at least :)

Definitely helped me both in getting my acceptance and my education during dental school. I know a lot more than most people in my class, and that clinical knowledge has helped both didactically and clinically. I'm not a deer caught in the headlights when I treat patients.

Reactions: 4 users
Assisting experience helped with my interview. We somehow got to talking about root canals. I got a little excited and explained to him the entire procedure with paraposts, buildup, and even down to the type of material and cement for the final crown. I could tell he was impressed since he spent a few seconds writing notes afterwards. I was accepted

Assisting experience helped with my interview. We somehow got to talking about root canals. I got a little excited and explained to him the entire procedure with paraposts, buildup, and even down to the type of material and cement for the final crown. I could tell he was impressed since he spent a few seconds writing notes afterwards. I was accepted
May I ask how long you were assisting? I'm worried that two months of assisting by the time I send out my application will be too short to get a full scope.

Does the experience as dental hygienist compensate for other weaker parts of the application?

It may help in that it means you have previous experience/exposure to the field of dentistry. Beyond that, I personally don't believe it gives you a significant advantage in terms of competitiveness for admission.

Are you considering becoming a dental hygienist or assistant solely for the purpose of dental school admissions?

I asked three dentists what their opinion was.
2 thought it was a good way to provide clinical experience
1 thought you'll get clinical experience in school anyway so it's not crucial.

The current cycle or next June? I think it’s worth it, at least it was for me because I got accepted this year! It’s worth looking into at least :)

Definitely helped me both in getting my acceptance and my education during dental school. I know a lot more than most people in my class, and that clinical knowledge has helped both didactically and clinically. I'm not a deer caught in the headlights when I treat patients.

May I ask how long you were assisting? I'm worried that two months of assisting by the time I send out my application will be too short to get a full scope.

Can you all answer my question

I believe it does. I applied last cycle and was rejected with no interviews. This year the only thing that changed was assisting for almost a year and I got multiple interviews and so far one acceptance. Then again I am a sample size of 1 so take that into consideration.

I believe it does. I applied last cycle and was rejected with no interviews. This year the only thing that changed was assisting for almost a year and I got multiple interviews and so far one acceptance. Then again I am a sample size of 1 so take that into consideration.

Were you’re stats/numbers mediocre or not so stellar?

Did you apply to the same schools both years in a row? If you don’t mind, what schools did you apply to for both rounds?

Did you apply to the same schools both years in a row? If you don’t mind, what schools did you apply to for both rounds?

Basically the same schools, the ones in my sig that gave me an interview apparently dont care.

Despite all the well wishers, working as a dh/da helps only when the remaining parts of the application are acceptable; the working experience does not help a student cope with the pre clinical courses.

That's awesome! I'm hoping for the same. Any chance you are willing to share your DAT score and GPA?

That's awesome! I'm hoping for the same. Any chance you are willing to share your DAT score and GPA?
I’m not sure my exact GPA but it was about a 3.3 and I got a 20 on the DAT!

I was an assistant for a year in undergrad. It helps with hand skills and some general knowledge. Also now have a mentor that I regularly speak to and would help me if I did general dentistry.

I am currently a hygienist and have been working doing fillin jobs since I graduated. I applied this year and did not gain an acceptance. I think working in the dental profession is great to help you in dental school. Although, having the experience does not give you a leg up against other candidates. I think it comes down to strong gpa, DAT and LOR and volunteering in the community. I have a 3.5 gpa and 19AA. Hope this helps.