Dental fraternities/clubs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Our school is interested in national dental fraternities and clubs.

I'm scoping out the scene and hoping to report back to the class president and dean with some good information.

Which national clubs/frats, etc., does everybody have at their schools, and what are the benefits of the groups?

I know this is a general and broad question, but I'm hoping to find a good starting place for my research.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Delta Sigma Delta and another one too. 40% of the class is in Delta Sig.

Members don't see this ad :)
We have Alpha Omega here at BU. I'll copy paste what the President emailed us:

Alpha Omega is the only dental professional fraternity, with international membership. Its objective is to promote the profession of dentistry, establish the spirit of fellowship, and develop high standards of scholarship.
Founded in 1907 by minority students, it aims to be an all-inclusive highly diverse fraternity granting membership to all dental professionals regardless of race, gender, nationality, religion, or orientation.
On a national level, AO offers networking opportunities with local professionals, the alpha omegan paper, discounted rates on seminars and dental products. AO also offers an externship program for student interested in experiencing private dental practice outside the school setting, or even internationally. Networking can help with residency placement as well as job-opportunities and is a large asset to students. AO offers a web cast series featuring world renowned speakers who lecture via internet broadcasting. This offers a comfortable arena for information delivery and still allows listeners to interact with the lecturer in real-time.
On a local level, AO offers a source of community and interaction outside of dental school. We participate in numerous community outreach projects and community events. We meet with the other local Tufts and Harvard chapters which allows members to interact with other students in the Boston area and form new friendships. As well, the local chapter aims to have monthly member get togethers.

We've got Delta Sigma Delta (delts) and Alpha Omega (AO's). The Delts are *definitely* the more social of the two, and AO is more focused on community outreach. Between them, they offer a pretty broad appeal to students.

Pashaj, I realize the information didn't come directly from you but I wanted to offer a slight correctiong. Delta Sigma Delta (which I am a member of) is also an international fraternity.

With that said, I don't think there are huge differences with the different fraternities at a national/international level. I think most of the differences between the fraternaties at the local level is determined by what the current members are like. There is usually some continuity but low interest for just a few years could really change what the local chapter is like.

I'm not sure how things would go in regards to starting a new chapter in a new school. You can view the Delta Sigma Delta website at www.deltsig.com or you can go to the Arizona Graduate Chapter contact page at http://68.156.90.148/gradchapterdetails.asp?Chapter=ARIZONA .

We have AO, Delts, and Psi O here at Upenn.
I would have to agree with everyone else it really depends on how you want to set things up. Just like in undergrad fratneritys different chapters at diffferent schools are different. I would def have to say AO is the academic Fraternity at all campuses though. Here at Upenn they do not party at all, but have a lot of academic tutoring, dinners, stuf like that. Delts party's the hardest, while Psi O is in between. I joined Psi O becuase they party enough and study enough to make it worth it. Their dues are $125 for all four years, while Delts is $125 the first year, $100 the second, $75 the third, and finally $50. Psi O gets its money from a parking lot on our campus though. Both houses have group tutoring sessions set up for the first years, with 4th years tutoring us before each test, and then the usual partying, and kegs on tap 365. Both houses also have houses on campus which are like 6 bedroom houses that can hold around 400 people during parties, so it is always a good time. I really dont know if there are any benefits after you graduate, everyone says there is, but I doubt it, just like in undergrad, it is very unlikely you would hire anyone just becuase they were in your fraternity. Esp a professional one in which there is no pledging or "proving yourself". Since you guys got a new school maybe you want to set up a new one Delta Mu Delta :laugh: