dental grad school admission for int'l students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kitt

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, is it really competitive to get accepted in state univs like UW or Texas A&M (Baylor college of Dentistry), if not a resident of the state, eventhough you've done good on TOEFL, GRE, and have good letter of recommendations?

I'd like to apply for a MSc course in endodontics, anybody suggest any schools that might have a higher acceptance rate?

Members don't see this ad.

Dear kitt, There is a complete list of programs of US Dental schools who accept International Students. Kindly visit my site www.dentalsite.cjb.net & click on post graduation.

Hi,Kitt
I am a foreign trained Dentist myself who gave up on trying to get into Public University with Advanced Standing.I am about to start a 2year Program in BU culminating in DMD Degree.Ultimately I would like to specialize in Orto(I worked in Ortho before)and I like Endo as well.I did some Research work too.I am getting a filling that it would be close to impossible to get into specialty after American Dental school(competition is fierce and I will have 120K in loans).So getting into specialty first is smart ,I do not know how realistic it is though.We need to start a new forum for foreign tdained dentists!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks osamah. Lena: may I ask what univs you have applied before BU? Is it really competitive? I have a friend going to start Pedodontic program in BU this fall also. I have heard that for endo program they accept roughly 1 out of 40 applicants in state U. I guess pvt schools are not as hard?

I am going to Predoc Program to get a DMD Degree in BU,Your friend is getting Advanced Degree in Pedo. Without DDS/DMD he can practice only in some states.
Best regards.Elena

Dear Friends,

International DDS program is the program of choice if you want to practice in USA. Tution is US$80,000-1,50,000 & National Board Part 1 is required. All states in USA accept DDS degree for licensure. Some States also accept MS Degreee from US University in any Dental Accredited speciality to practice in that area only. For admission in MS you should have TOEFL, good recommendation letters plus some schools require GRE as well. Competetion is tough in Public Universities where programs are Stipund supported or have less Tution fee. Application to seating ratio is 20/1 & moreover usually DDS degree holders & US graduates are accepted so Overseas students are at disadvantage! In Private Universities money speaks. You can have more chances in getting private universities like NYU, etc. Fee is US$25000 per yr.
Bear in mind only 9 speacilities are accredetid by ADA including all clinical ones & Dental Public Health, Oral Pathology & Oral Radiology....
visit my page at www.dentalsite.cjb.net to get current info about oppertunities for overseas dentists in USA

Does anyone know if Canada is considered the same as international students in regards to coming and speicalizing/working in the US or is it treated more favourably?

Thanks