Dental harder to get into than medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dentisting

Pure Awesome
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is that an accurate statement, or should I not be telling people that?

I mean... a person persuing a medical degree has many options...

1) many more schools to apply to
2) DO schools
3) International schools...

A person persuing dental has only one option:

1) 54 almost equally competitive schools up to the standards of most MD programs, and sometimes even more competitive...

2) Not to mention only being able to take the DAT 3 times maximum.

So honestly... what is the final verdict here?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure medical school is still tougher to get into. One such piece of evidence could be the significantly higher GPA's of entering medical school students compared to dental school students.

Reactions: 1 user

2) DO schools

1) 54 almost equally competitive schools up to the standards of most MD programs, and sometimes even more competitive...

I dunno if this could be a statement, just an opinion. MCAT and DAT are a lil different tests. From what i saw of MCAT is you have a lot of passages and have to answer questions based solely on the passage. If you know too much info it could hurt you. So some people just may test better that way or test better on DAT w/ PAT part etc.

But since im goign to be a dentist.... i agree with you. Its much harder to get into dental school than anything else. Even harder than becoming and astronaut. Its true.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
yea, but your just talking specific schools, and im talking about medical school as a whole...

Dental schools have nothing comparable to DO schools...

There is no such thing as a "backup" dental school

MCAT is much tougher than the DAT, it is just the truth

Reactions: 2 users
MCAT is much tougher than the DAT, it is just the truth

Yeah most people who take MCAT take that class before. Atleast everyone i knew who took the MCAT took the class. I just bought a DAT book and went at it.

Have you ever taken the MCAT and applied to medical schools? They's a b!tch. Dental's a walk in the park.

Ha, this is a funny thread. My brother is a doctor and I had someone tell me the same thing about dental school. When I asked him what he thought, it was an emphatic, "no, it's not harder." I think there are two ways of looking at it. 1. There does seem to be more competition in terms of academic GPA/scores among those going to med school. 2. There are only a few dental schools which makes it more competitive than dental just by sheer number. Either way you look at it, they are both competitive.

Also food for thought, my psychologist neighbor shared with me that HIS school is the most competitive to get in to because of yada, yada, yada.

Just don't go there. It doesn't really matter and it just puts people off if you try to say your school is the hardest/best/etc... Nobody likes a bragger.

Yo Yo.. Med School sooo tough ya'll, MCAT hard, GPA tough, Interview more Stressfull and 10x more people want to be MD's!!!!

ARG!!!

Yo Yo.. Med School sooo tough ya'll, MCAT hard, GPA tough, Interview more Stressfull and 10x more people want to be MD's!!!!

ARG!!!

Yea G. Word up.

2) DO schools

This topic has been discussed in the past. Incidentally there are 56 ds.

see http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=408351

2) DO schools

Many more MD and DO schools but also many more applicants. And I don't think I would ever want to take the MCAT... I'll take Perceptual over physics any day

You're going to get arguments boht ways...most people dont apply to both med and dental school so its hard to compare. I mean I took both the MCAT and the DAT..and honestly, I did better on the MCAT as a whole than I did the DAT...so I guess it just depends really. Lot of factors come into play. At the end of the day...I guess it doesnt really matter...just make the choice thats best for you and stick w/ it. You shouldn't have to justify your profession to anyone.

Members don't see this ad :)

ARG!!!

hahahaha I agree.
There are soooooooo many premeds, but I know hardly any predents. So it is sort of pointless to say that it's more competitive to get into dental school just because there are fewer schools. At my university, everyone one and his/her brother/sister/mother/father was a premed (hahaha... exaggerating of course, but kind of not really), but I knew very very very few predents.

Many more MD and DO schools but also many more applicants. And I don't think I would ever want to take the MCAT... I'll take Perceptual over physics any day

You can take the DAT as many times as you want however you need to show proof to ADA that you are replying...Of course, some schools don't like to see you taking the DAT two or three times, but who cares...there are a lot of them that will consider your last score...in fact some schools like to see persistency and improvement...

how about caribbean medical schools... many of them dont even require the MCAT for an acceptance...

Most of them have GPA averages in the ranges of 3.2-3.0... Honestly... come on now.. you are obviously overlooking these very apparent details.

There was a better thread on this awhile ago. The way I understand it is, there are more people applying for less seats in dental school so in that way dental school is harder to get into, but medical school has a more competitive pool (higher GPAs etc). So, depending on how you look at it either one is harder to get into. I personally tell people that dental school is harder, 'cause it makes me feel better.

An MD program is harder to get into in the U.S. while Eastern European M.D. programs are a joke to get into and Caribbean schools and D.O. are slightly easier to get into than Dental. Although you still have to take the MCAT and that is no fun compared to the DAT. Sure Meds have more schools and back up options...but they also have more applicants.

It matters because I didnt get in any dental schools at this point, and I am applying to medical school. One of my recommenders for medical school asked me "isnt it harder to get into medical" and my answer was no.

Thats why I have to find out, because I dont feel that I was looking at all the facts when I was saying that.

Hopefully one of the remaining dental schools that have me as "under review" will send me an acceptance, but I am doubtful, so at this point, I do not want to wait yet ANOTHER year, and not go anywhere again.

I will not waste my time on a useless masters degree. I will not waste my time and money taking the DAT again.

At this point, I am doing whatever it will take to keep my options open. Getting an acceptance to something that ive been considering since high school now is more important to me than waiting another year, and then reapplying to dental (only to be rejected again).

This is my 2nd time applying by the way. You all probably will look at this post and say "what a quitter" or, "oh dental isnt for him anyway" but you guys have absolutely no right to be condescending to me. You dont know me, you dont know who I am, or what my life is like.

I will not waste my time on a useless masters degree. I will not waste my time and money taking the DAT again.

Instead you may end up wasting you time and money on the MCAT and applying to med schools. Good luck.

I am not wasting anything, because I am guaranteed at least one acceptance.

The argument that dental school is easier to get into because the DAT is easier than the MCAT is ******ed. People don't get in because they scored a set percentage on the test, they get in because they do better than other people on the same test. If the DAT were as hard as the MCAT people would be shooting for scores above 10 or 12 instead of above 20. Same goes for the MCAT, if it were as easy as the DAT pre-meds would be shooting for scores above 38-40 instead of scores above 29-30. If the test is harder, everyone will do worse; that doesn't make it harder to get into school.

No its not even that... Im applying to at least 4 caribbean schools... its just THAT easy to get in, since they take EVERYONE.

Not only that, but they have a great opportunity to get US residencies, and the top 4 caribbean schools are allowed to get licensed in all 50 states.

No its not even that... Im applying to at least 4 caribbean schools... its just THAT easy to get in, since they take EVERYONE.

Don't count your chickens before they hatch...

Not only that, but they have a great opportunity to get US residencies, and the top 4 caribbean schools are allowed to get licensed in all 50 states.

better change your thingy to "pre-med". :laugh: Yes we don't know your situation but I feel the two professions are entirely different beasts so I can't imagine just switching like that. I'd rather be a dental assistant or hygienist than an MD if I didn't get into dental school. Also, since dent. is so important to me, and I believe others on this forum, perusing a master's or working in the field would not be a "waste" on time whatsoever.

But, I don't know you. So yes, Good Luck :)

well... if all goes well, I will be in medical school, studying the classes that I would be doing in dental, and at the same time, I will be re-applying to dental next year, explaining my situation that I have decided to choose medical school over a masters degree as proof of my ability to succeed in a professional setting.

If that doesnt work, then I will know that NOTHING will, and that I might as well just stay in the medical field. You say they are different, but I disagree... they are very similar.

well... if all goes well, I will be in medical school, studying the classes that I would be doing in dental, and at the same time, I will be re-applying to dental next year, explaining my situation that I have decided to choose medical school over a masters degree as proof of my ability to succeed in a professional setting.

If that doesnt work, then I will know that NOTHING will, and that I might as well just stay in the medical field. You say they are different, but I disagree... they are very similar.

So you're going to hopefully get in to a Caribbean medical school only to drop out after the first year once you get accepted into dental school?

I know you didn't ask for it, but my advice is to RE-EVALUATE what you are doing. Good Luck.

oooh... so this isn't the usual, shameless medical vs dental bashing. that's no fun. it's for real this time, eh? dang

leaving the difficulty of getting into dental school aside, if you want to get into med school, you can, but you have to be strategic. getting into a top tier medical school'll be very difficult. if you have trouble getting into a dental school, you have no shot at those med schools. generally, you'd want to apply to all your state schools, and unranked private medical schools. it is in your best interest to research what each individual schools are looking for in a candidate and address that in your personal statement. it'd also help if your gpa 3.4+ and if you get a 30+ on the MCAT. 3.2+ and 27+ for unknown schools. Those numbers serve as the screen.

So you're going to hopefully get in to a Caribbean medical school only to drop out after the first year once you get accepted into dental school?

well... considering that I will be studying basically the same courses as what I will be in dental, it will only make my dental education so much easier.... maybe a little boring, but definitely easier.

Also, I really dont believe that the work it will take to get myself into a dental school at this point is really worth it. If I can get myself into a medical school, that would definitely be a much better idea, since I wouldnt be wasting my time.

A year of masters is not worth anything if it wont get me into dental school... A year in medical school is worth quite a lot, whether I get into a dental school a year later or not.

I won't comment on anything being said here, except to say that I totally agree that medical school is much easier to get into, purely for the fact that the caribbean schools do exist. A classmate of mine just started at a caribbean school, and lets just say that the person's stats weren't all that great. My stats are not too bad and I had a caribbean med school, St. George's calling me all the time, sending me info, etc. I even talked with one of their MD recruiters. I probably would have had a pretty good shot a state-side school also. However, I chose dental school and I've only been accepted to one so far (did anyone else notice how much more competitive dental is then 4-5 yrs ago? test scores, number of applicants, etc?). So in my opinion, dental school is much harder to get into. But just my opinion.

well... considering that I will be studying basically the same courses as what I will be in dental, it will only make my dental education so much easier.... maybe a little boring, but definitely easier.

Also, I really dont believe that the work it will take to get myself into a dental school at this point is really worth it. If I can get myself into a medical school, that would definitely be a much better idea, since I wouldnt be wasting my time.

A year of masters is not worth anything if it wont get me into dental school... A year in medical school is worth quite a lot, whether I get into a dental school a year later or not.

as long as you're okay with the stigma US medical schools and students have with Carribean students. St. George and St. Matthews both have ridiculous curriculum and MANY fail out by the first year. As much as 25%, if I remember correctly. You're also looking at internal medicine as your residency, or any other primary care fields. When you graduate, you'll make good income, but you'll work intensely for that pay. And other doctors are likely to look down upon you.

I won't comment on anything being said here, except to say that I totally agree that medical school is much easier to get into, purely for the fact that the caribbean schools do exist. A classmate of mine just started at a caribbean school, and lets just say that the person's stats weren't all that great. My stats are not too bad and I had a caribbean med school, St. George's calling me all the time, sending me info, etc. I even talked with one of their MD recruiters. I probably would have had a pretty good shot a state-side school also. However, I chose dental school and I've only been accepted to one so far (did anyone else notice how much more competitive dental is then 4-5 yrs ago? test scores, number of applicants, etc?). So in my opinion, dental school is much harder to get into. But just my opinion.

chill it kid. Carribean schools don't count, because it's not a US school. If we're going to open the arena to foreign institutes, let us consider dental schools in China, Spain, Russia, and whatever other countries you desire....

as long as you're okay with the stigma US medical schools and students have with Carribean students. St. George and St. Matthews both have ridiculous curriculum and MANY fail out by the first year. As much as 25%, if I remember correctly. You're also looking at internal medicine as your residency, or any other primary care fields. When you graduate, you'll make good income, but you'll work intensely for that pay. And other doctors are likely to look down upon you.

Thats completely untrue... St. George about 5% fail rate... sure that may be high, but its definitely nothing that scares me. They get competitive residencies (really depends on your USMLE scores, and where you did your clinnical rotations).

The rest of what you said is just stereotypes. I know several international doctors, and ALL of them are highly respected.

Thats completely untrue... St. George about 5% fail rate... sure that may be high, but its definitely nothing that scares me. They get competitive residencies (really depends on your USMLE scores, and where you did your clinnical rotations).

The rest of what you said is just stereotypes. I know several international doctors, and ALL of them are highly respected.

and what about the other couple schools? same 5% rate? I think not.

if it's just stereotypes, then it's the same stereotype that doctors share. based on the stereotypes that those doctors have, they're likely to look down upon you

and on the matter of your step exams, some do get better residencies, but they have a disproportionately high score. a 235'll get you considered for top fields coming from the US, but you'll need closer to the 250's and 260's to get considered from the Carribean schools. then again, there's nothing wrong with internal medicine. it's our first line of defense for healthcare. going to a carribean school and expecting top specialties is like going to dental school expecting ortho.

if it's just stereotypes, then it's the same stereotype that doctors share. based on the stereotypes that those doctors have, they're likely to look down upon you

and on the matter of your step exams, some do get better residencies, but they have a disproportionately high score. a 235'll get you considered for top fields coming from the US, but you'll need closer to the 250's and 260's to get considered from the Carribean schools. then again, there's nothing wrong with internal medicine. it's our first line of defense for healthcare. going to a carribean school and expecting top specialties is like going to dental school expecting ortho.

1) They can look down on me all they want, but I wont give a damn if im practicing the same profession as they are. An MD is an MD, whether its from the US, or India for all I care.

2) Thats how I am going to take my education in the caribbean. I will strive to keep my options as wide as possible. That means I have to be amazing, and perform miracles along the way. Im not really against that.

It matters because I didnt get in any dental schools at this point, and I am applying to medical school. One of my recommenders for medical school asked me "isnt it harder to get into medical" and my answer was no.

Thats why I have to find out, because I dont feel that I was looking at all the facts when I was saying that.

Hopefully one of the remaining dental schools that have me as "under review" will send me an acceptance, but I am doubtful, so at this point, I do not want to wait yet ANOTHER year, and not go anywhere again.

At this point, I am doing whatever it will take to keep my options open. Getting an acceptance to something that ive been considering since high school now is more important to me than waiting another year, and then reapplying to dental (only to be rejected again).

This is my 2nd time applying by the way. You all probably will look at this post and say "what a quitter" or, "oh dental isnt for him anyway" but you guys have absolutely no right to be condescending to me. You dont know me, you dont know who I am, or what my life is like.

I agree with you. During one of my interviews, not to mention the school, but it was in colorado, the guy asked why arent i in a masters program instead of taking some time off. My response was "uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, why waste my money and time". He didnt like my response very much.

1) They can look down on me all they want, but I wont give a damn if im practicing the same profession as they are. An MD is an MD, whether its from the US, or India for all I care.

2) Thats how I am going to take my education in the caribbean. I will strive to keep my options as wide as possible. That means I have to be amazing, and perform miracles along the way. Im not really against that.

If you are so willing to put so much work into medical school why don't you put the same work into getting into dental school?

The only person holding you back from getting into dental school is yourself - you can't change the application process so you need to change the applicant (yourself).

You need to take a critical look at what's holding you back and be willing to fix it. You can really do a lot in a year to improve your application and if you're not willing to do that than you may not be suited for dental school.

If you want to go to medical school then go to medical school. If you want to go to dental school then make yourself a better applicant.

How does getting a medical education weight less than getting a masters degree?

How does that make me less of an applicant?

Why is this even being discussed? There's no definite answer whatsoever, and the OP seems pretty set in his ways. I think it's ridiculous to go to medical school just because you couldn't get into dental. Good luck.

How does getting a medical education weight less than getting a masters degree?

How does that make me less of an applicant?

Why you shouldn't go to medical school instead of getting a masters if your eventual goal is dental school:

1) Money
2) The medical application process is a lot more intense
3) Medical school is more difficult = less time to be involved in dental related activities and other community service
4) Why go through the trouble of taking the MCAT instead of retaking the DAT?

Yeah. This thread is dumb now.

Why you shouldn't go to medical school instead of getting a masters if your eventual goal is dental school:

1) Money
2) The medical application process is a lot more intense
3) Medical school is more difficult = less time to be involved in dental related activities and other community service
4) Why go through the trouble of taking the MCAT instead of retaking the DAT?

Those are valid points, but wouldnt I be wasting more money on a masters degree, and a DAT re-take if I dont get accepted once again to dental school?

At least while im in medical school, there will at least be some kind of a future for me. I cant keep funding my education if it wont start to pay off for me. Also, I have already done over 2000 hours of dental work/community service... Adding another 100 more wouldnt really make much impact.

Those are valid points, but wouldnt I be wasting more money on a masters degree, and a DAT re-take if I dont get accepted once again to dental school?

At least while im in medical school, there will at least be some kind of a future for me. I cant keep funding my education if it wont start to pay off for me. Also, I have already done over 2000 hours of dental work/community service... Adding another 100 more wouldnt really make much impact.

And what if you don't get into medical school?

What part of your application is holding you back? Don't you think that it might hold you back from medical school?

I will not waste my time on a useless masters degree. I will not waste my time and money taking the DAT again.quote]

I thank God that I "wasted my time on a "useless" masters degree." It sure got me into two schools already.

I understand your frustration but if dentistry is what you really want you won't say I won't do this or that. You do what you need to do to get where you want to be. Keep your head up.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.