Dental HPSP class of 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am D1 already, but tuition reimbursement starts in the fall (D2). Hkim said she got commissioned at the end of Feb and got the first stipend on the 15 of May. (I think none of them start the new school year in May) Does that mean she should correct it?
If you are already a D1, then you should be getting your stipend from the date you commissioned, since your school already started before then. As for your tuition reimbursement, since you got the scholarship late, then you won't get reimbursed for your first year, only your second year going forward. I'm not sure about the OP. It depends if they are already in school or not

Members don't see this ad.

If you are already a D1, then you should be getting your stipend from the date you commissioned, since your school already started before then. As for your tuition reimbursement, since you got the scholarship late, then you won't get reimbursed for your first year, only your second year going forward. I'm not sure about the OP. It depends if they are already in school or not

I thought so, too, but the HPSP pay representative said that I cannot receive a stipend until D2, whether it is a 2 year or a 3 year program. What should I do at this point?

Regulation afi41-110 says 'Payment of the stipend and grant is based on the later of the date of: execution of the oath of office, execution of the Program agreement, or commencement of academic curriculum.' but I don't quite understand what it means.

I thought so, too, but the HPSP pay representative said that I cannot receive a stipend until D2, whether it is a 2 year or a 3 year program. What should I do at this point?

Regulation afi41-110 says 'Payment of the stipend and grant is based on the later of the date of: execution of the oath of office, execution of the Program agreement, or commencement of academic curriculum.' but I don't quite understand what it means.
Well, it might depend on the program you're in. I'm Army medical, so it could be different for us. And the quote you send me is literally what I told you: there are three things that must be completed before you can start receiving your stipend:
1. You must sign the contract
2. You must take the oath
3. Your classes must officially start
The LATEST of these three things is the date you can start getting your stipend. So if you signed the contract and took the oath (aka commissioned) say May, but your classes don't start until August, you don't start getting paid until August.
And I would trust your HPSP rep...they would know better than me. Each branch does stuff differently, and it also depends on what program you're in (med, dent, vet, etc.)

Members don't see this ad :)

To add onto my previous reply:
It appears as though you are a D1 on a 2-year or 3-year program. This means you can't start getting paid until your second year of dental school. So even though you commissioned during D1, you're not supposed to start getting a stipend until D2 starts, since you're on a 2/3-year program. Make sense? If you had gotten the 4-year scholarship, THEN you can get paid during your first year. Otherwise, payments start after

Reactions: 1 user
How likely are those who've been waitlisted for the Navy 4-year HPSP receive the 3-year award? I've read that those who were waitlisted for the 4-year automatically get put into consideration for the 3-year but what are the chances of actually receiving it? How many applicants are usually competing and is it only waitlisted 4-year applicants that are in the pool for a chance to receive the 3 year? Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users
I am D1 already, but tuition reimbursement starts in the fall (D2). Hkim said she got commissioned at the end of Feb and got the first stipend on the 15 of May. (I think none of them start the new school year in May) Does that mean she should correct it?
Started online class on May 1st. I'm back in "real life" school now. lol

Has anyone's recruiter provided an update on the 4 year Army OML?

Has anyone's recruiter provided an update on the 4 year Army OML?

My recruiter talked to me last week and said no one has been selected "in awhile". I take that to mean no one has been selected in June so far, although I could be wrong in assuming that. He said that technically you can get off the OML until October, although it almost never happens that late. He said my application is already ready to go for the 3 year if I don't get selected for the 4 year, and he gave tips to increase my competitiveness for next year if necessary.

I know based on past cycles that people have gotten off the OML at least through June though, and with COVID-19 delaying things I wouldn't be surprised if people are selected later this month or in July.

Reactions: 1 users
I was planning on applying to two branches of the Armed Forces to increase my overall chances of receiving an HPSP scholarship. BUT in the US Army applicant processing agreement, it states, "we will not process you if you are working with other branches. ... We reserve the right to stop processing your application if we discover this is the case." Has anyone else processed with multiple branches and what were the results? Should I just pick a branch and only focus on that one? Do I ruin my chances with both if they find out I am applying for both? Is it even likely they find out that I am applying to two different branches?

I also applied to two branches-- AF and Army. I had already completed the application process with the AF by the time I got stuff set up with an Army recruiter as she was on maternity leave, but she knew that I was applying for both. You will only have to do MEPS once, so whatever branch sets you up with that first will first have access, but then you'll have to let the second branch know so they don't send you twice and they can just request your information. My Army recruiter was actually really helpful when it came to dual applying because she offered to send my fingerprints over to my AF recruiter as he was out of state and we hadn't got to those yet. But yes, to add onto what others said, be open and honest if they ask if you're dual applying because if you say no and later they find out that you are, they could drop you.

Does anyone have any reason to think either the Army spots are all filled already, or that a few more people will get off the waitlist?

My Navy recruiter called to ask if I would accept the HSCP if offered and withdraw my application for the 3-year HPSP. My first response was yes because I didn’t want to turn down the HSCP and then not be selected for 3 year HPSP and end up with nothing. Then he told me I’m #8 on the OML for 3 year HPSP but “But there is no guarantee until the quota comes out and we don’t know how many spots will be offered”
Has anyone else been in this situation?

My Navy recruiter called to ask if I would accept the HSCP if offered and withdraw my application for the 3-year HPSP. My first response was yes because I didn’t want to turn down the HSCP and then not be selected for 3 year HPSP and end up with nothing. Then he told me I’m #8 on the OML for 3 year HPSP but “But there is no guarantee until the quota comes out and we don’t know how many spots will be offered”
Has anyone else been in this situation?

i was in that situation. I ended up taking hscp but that’s because I went to my state school. You have to sit down and worked the numbers. If you are going to private school it may not be worth it to take hscp

I was just told by an Army recruiter that the 3-year Dental HPSP scholarship has been discontinued starting this year. Is that true? If so, are the other branches going to be offering 3-year scholarships?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just told by an Army recruiter that the 3-year Dental HPSP scholarship has been discontinued starting this year. Is that true? If so, are the other branches going to be offering 3-year scholarships?
The only way to find out is to talk to healthcare recruiters of those specific branches. If you are unsure that the Army recruiter is giving correct information, reach out to another one just in case

There weren’t many to begin with so it wouldn’t surprise me...

I have commissioned, signed the contract and still waiting for the official order from the Army. My concern is that my school starts soon and the tuition and fees are due on the day of orientation. If I do not get the order before the day I must pay the tuition fees, what should I do?

I have commissioned, signed the contract and still waiting for the official order from the Army. My concern is that my school starts soon and the tuition and fees are due on the day of orientation. If I do not get the order before the day I must pay the tuition fees, what should I do?
Talk to your school/fin aid office. Usually they will allow you to defer payment if you can offer them proof of your scholarship. Otherwise, you may need to take out loans to pay off the first few months (tuition, fees, room, board, etc.). Although this is annoying, it's not a big deal in the long run.

Once your payment gets set up with the military and your school, you will start getting your stipend. The government will pay the tuition/fees amount to your school. Your school will then send you a refund of that exact amount of tuition/fees.

You can then use that money to pay off the loans that you took out. I believe for most loans, if you pay off the loans within 120 days then you don't have to pay any of the interest. If any interest did accrue from the moment you took out the loan, it will "go away" and you don't have to pay it. If you overpay the loan by paying for the interest, you will get that amount (the interest) refunded back to you.

But the easiest option to avoid having to take out a loan in the first place is to contact your school's bursar/fin aid office/whoever is in charge of finances to see if they can't put a hold/deferment on your account until the scholarship money arrives.

Does anyone know in a typical year how the Army 3 year dental HPSP works? I realize it might work differently this year, but if I'm understanding correctly my recruiter said usually a few people are pulled off the OML and given the 3 year scholarship. What month does that usually happen?

So I commissioned a few months ago and already filled out my academic year statement (AYS) a few months ago as well. Is there anything else I need to do to ensure that I get my stipend?

So I commissioned a few months ago and already filled out my academic year statement (AYS) a few months ago as well. Is there anything else I need to do to ensure that I get my stipend?
Pray.

Can anyone shed some light on whether or not you have any input in where you get stationed (specifically for Navy)? I understand that I'll be working for the military and am not so naive as to think I'll be calling the shots straight out of dental school, but does anyone know of anybody that was stationed somewhere where they requested?

Can anyone shed some light on whether or not you have any input in where you get stationed (specifically for Navy)? I understand that I'll be working for the military and am not so naive as to think I'll be calling the shots straight out of dental school, but does anyone know of anybody that was stationed somewhere where they requested?

Pm me

Just wanted to let everyone know I started a groupme for all of the AirForce HPSP recipents. If you would like to join just let me know.

Just wanted to let everyone know I started a groupme for all of the AirForce HPSP recipents. If you would like to join just let me know.
For recipients of any class level, or just 2024? I am in the class of 2023 (AF HPSP).

It’s extremely unclear as to what I need to do next, they know where I’m going to school because of the AYS, but there’s nothing else I need to do? No other confirmations or anything like that? Do we need to send transcripts every semester? They sent me the HPSP handbook but its locked and I can’t read it.

It’s extremely unclear as to what I need to do next, they know where I’m going to school because of the AYS, but there’s nothing else I need to do? No other confirmations or anything like that? Do we need to send transcripts every semester? They sent me the HPSP handbook but its locked and I can’t read it.
They didnt even send me the handbook...glad you got one!

How likely are those who've been waitlisted for the Navy 4-year HPSP receive the 3-year award? I've read that those who were waitlisted for the 4-year automatically get put into consideration for the 3-year but what are the chances of actually receiving it? How many applicants are usually competing and is it only waitlisted 4-year applicants that are in the pool for a chance to receive the 3 year? Thanks!
In the 2019 cycle, they selected 60 4yr. The rest were ranked on a waitlist to receive the 3yr, which they gave around 20. Only applicants applying for the 4yr can be issued the 3yr, and to be more accurate it's actually a 3.5yr scholarship because they actually do cover tuition for the first year and the stipend begins paying you in October (which is the start of the fiscal year for the gov't). So it's equivalent to a 4yr HPSP with the only difference is you don't get the monthly stipend for the first few months of school. But you will still owe back 3.5 or 4 years of service - I never got a clear answer on this one since I didn't get to read the contract myself.

I ended up as #1 or #2 left on the waitlist in case anyone else changed their mind, but got the call in October after starting D1 year that everyone else commissioned and the Navy was closed, unless I wanted to accept the HSCP which was still open to me, but I wasn't going to take that deal attending MWU. I was already talking to the AF recruiter by that time preparing to reapply for the AF 3yr, and glad I trusted myself and took that route instead.

In the 2019 cycle, they selected 60 4yr. The rest were ranked on a waitlist to receive the 3yr, which they gave around 20. Only applicants applying for the 4yr can be issued the 3yr, and to be more accurate it's actually a 3.5yr scholarship because they actually do cover tuition for the first year and the stipend begins paying you in October (which is the start of the fiscal year for the gov't). So it's equivalent to a 4yr HPSP with the only difference is you don't get the monthly stipend for the first few months of school. But you will still owe back 3.5 or 4 years of service - I never got a clear answer on this one since I didn't get to read the contract myself.

I ended up as #1 or #2 left on the waitlist in case anyone else changed their mind, but got the call in October after starting D1 year that everyone else commissioned and the Navy was closed, unless I wanted to accept the HSCP which was still open to me, but I wasn't going to take that deal attending MWU. I was already talking to the AF recruiter by that time preparing to reapply for the AF 3yr, and glad I trusted myself and took that route instead.

Does the AF 3 year work in a similar way? Like, do you begin receiving your stipend immediately after you commission, or do you have to wait until your 2nd year of dental school begins?

Does the AF 3 year work in a similar way? Like, do you begin receiving your stipend immediately after you commission, or do you have to wait until your 2nd year of dental school begins?
I was informed I received the 3yr back in January. I commissioned on Jan 28. I will not begin receiving my stipend until August 31, which is when my 1st day of D2 classes begin. The Navy's 3yr program (really, 3.5) is a whole different concept of its own and can't be compared to any other branch (my Navy recruiter kept reminding me it's essentially like a 4yr scholarship).

I was informed I received the 3yr back in January. I commissioned on Jan 28. I will not begin receiving my stipend until August 31, which is when my 1st day of D2 classes begin. The Navy's 3yr program (really, 3.5) is a whole different concept of its own and can't be compared to any other branch (my Navy recruiter kept reminding me it's essentially like a 4yr scholarship).

Ah, that is how I thought it worked, but with the Navy doing things that way I was curious if maybe the AF did too. I'm currently applying for the AF 3 year and still waiting hopefully for the Army 4 year, so we will see. Thank you for the info.

I was told this too-- were you able to confirm with another recruiter? Current D1 so was banking on this-- am kinda disappointed.
I know the Navy 3 Year is only for those who didn't get the 4 year. Unsure about AF 3 year as of now-- recruiter said they're waiting to hear back but he wouldn't be surprised if they remove that too based on the trends.

I was told this too-- were you able to confirm with another recruiter? Current D1 so was banking on this-- am kinda disappointed.
I know the Navy 3 Year is only for those who didn't get the 4 year. Unsure about AF 3 year as of now-- recruiter said they're waiting to hear back but he wouldn't be surprised if they remove that too based on the trends.
Unfortunately, I was able to confirm this with multiple other recruiters. From what I have heard, the AF 3 year is still on the table even for individuals who did not get waitlisted for the 4-year scholarship. In other words, the AF 3 year looks like the only HPSP option for current D1's who did not get waitlisted for any 4-year scholarships.

Unfortunately, I was able to confirm this with multiple other recruiters. From what I have heard, the AF 3 year is still on the table even for individuals who did not get waitlisted for the 4-year scholarship. In other words, the AF 3 year looks like the only HPSP option for current D1's who did not get waitlisted for any 4-year scholarships.

I see. Best of luck to us!

So... I'm a 3 Year HPSP applicant that is submitting my Committee Letter Packet (one used for D school apps) for the HPSP. I saw a small note in the recruiter presentation for the AF that the letters must be from within 6 months-- is this a requirement? My letters are older than 6 months, since I had them ready when I applied for Dental Schools around July of 2019.

Hi, I submitted all the paperwork for reimbursement on the laptop in early July but have not received anything from AF yet. How long did it take to get the reimbursement for you guys?

Hi, I submitted all the paperwork for reimbursement on the laptop in early July but have not received anything from AF yet. How long did it take to get the reimbursement for you guys?
Army took a whole year for me...

Still on OML for 4-year army for dental (highly unlikely to come off before Sept 30 deadline), but I received a call to board for MDSSP through the army. Haven't heard of it before but it's apparently a monthly stipend (no tuition), where every six months of payment is returned with 1 year of service as a reserve.

The Air Force will not reimburse you for a laptop unless your renting it. It’s one of the expenses they wont pay for even if a specific laptop is required.

I am using the laptopsformilitarydocs rental program who purchased my iPad Pro from me. I submitted my reimbursement for the $500 annual rental fee to AF at the end of July and received confirmation a week later that they began processing my request. My classes don’t start until Aug 31st however (when my HPSP stipend also begins), so I haven’t received my reimbursement yet and I suspect I have to wait until after the 31st. Will update if it takes longer than that.

I am using the laptopsformilitarydocs rental program who purchased my iPad Pro from me. I submitted my reimbursement for the $500 annual rental fee to AF at the end of July and received confirmation a week later that they began processing my request. My classes don’t start until Aug 31st however (when my HPSP stipend also begins), so I haven’t received my reimbursement yet and I suspect I have to wait until after the 31st. Will update if it takes longer than that.

I was wondering did they email you the confirmation? Also, did you upload your documents to the document system? I am just curious as I am worried the documents I uploaded never made it to the finance office for some reason.

I was wondering did they email you the confirmation? Also, did you upload your documents to the document system? I am just curious as I am worried the documents I uploaded never made it to the finance office for some reason.

I actually submitted by both email and uploading them to AFIT. I received an email that they received my documents. However, I had a question and contacted Maj. Swank about the reimbursements so she might have forwarded my question to their department and initiated their response. I have heard from other branches they waited months for their reimbursement. I’m still waiting for mine.

Congrats to those who received scholarships! I have my navy interview coming up, do you all have any tips on how to prepare for it and what I should expect? Thanks in advance :)

Hey all, sorry I have been off of here for awhile. I am back and open to any questions from the recruiters side of things. Feel free to PM me as well if you need help getting ahold of a recruiter (Army only). Good luck to all those this cycle!

Hey all, sorry I have been off of here for awhile. I am back and open to any questions from the recruiters side of things. Feel free to PM me as well if you need help getting ahold of a recruiter (Army only). Good luck to all those this cycle!
Hello! I am applying for both the Army and Navy scholarships and would love info on competitiveness for both, though I assume you only have Army information. Would you say a 3.75 GPA and a 23AA/22TS gives an applicant a strong chance of getting a scholarship? Also, when is the first round of decisions released for the Army? Thank you so much!! :)

If anyone has successfully received their reimbursement money feel free to let the group know.

Hello! I am applying for both the Army and Navy scholarships and would love info on competitiveness for both, though I assume you only have Army information. Would you say a 3.75 GPA and a 23AA/22TS gives an applicant a strong chance of getting a scholarship? Also, when is the first round of decisions released for the Army? Thank you so much!! :)

Yes you are very competitive as long as the rest of your packet looks good. Do you already have a recruiter your working with yet? Let me know would be happy to help!

How do the HPSP programs view post-bacc GPAs? Do they combine undergrad and post-bacc GPAs? Do they mostly just look at undergrad? Thanks in advance!

If anyone gets off the waitlist for the Navy 3.5 year HPSP will you post it here? I've been waiting to hear back but don't know when I should give up hope haha