Dental HPSP class of 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes you are very competitive as long as the rest of your packet looks good. Do you already have a recruiter your working with yet? Let me know would be happy to help!
Thank you so much for the reassurance! I passed MEPS and as far as I know everything else should look good, so I'm very excited to hear back. And thank you but I do already have a recruiter, I'm hoping to get everything in and hear back by December hopefully. Not sure when boards start this year though

Members don't see this ad.

How do the HPSP programs view post-bacc GPAs? Do they combine undergrad and post-bacc GPAs? Do they mostly just look at undergrad? Thanks in advance!

They look at undergrad for eligibility and post-grad as part of the overall score in your application under the education section. Just the fact you have a post-bac will look great, high GPA just boosts it.

If anyone gets off the waitlist for the Navy 3.5 year HPSP will you post it here? I've been waiting to hear back but don't know when I should give up hope haha

My recruiter reached out to me about this. We should be hearing back this month once the new fiscal year budget is finalized.

Golfballer

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just offered the navy hpsp yesterday

Reactions: 1 user
Hi other pre-dents interested in HPSP scrolling through! As someone like you who is interested in and currently applying for the Navy HPSP scholarship, I recently interviewed Dr. Lee who is also on YouTube under the name harrrMONICA. She was great and able to answer my questions about her life as a Navy Dental Officer

I hope this doesn't break any rules on the thread- but I hope that other pre-dental students like me can learn from her story! The podcast is here: anchor.fm/predental. And if you have any questions, she'll be doing an Instagram Live AMA with me on Friday- so follow her @supermonicaworld if you have any questions yourself!

I have just considered the HSPS scholarship. I know it is extremely late for the class of 2025. Would I have to wait until next cycle to apply for a three year scholarship?
Also, what is considered disqualification in regards to vision?

I have just considered the HSPS scholarship. I know it is extremely late for the class of 2025. Would I have to wait until next cycle to apply for a three year scholarship?
Also, what is considered disqualification in regards to vision?
At this point it would probably be best to apply for the 3 year. I would still talk to a recruiter, but packets for the Jan board are due Dec 15, so there’s not really time to do everything at least for the first board, and even doing everything in time for later boards might be rough. However you can definitely talk to a recruiter soon about the 3 year

Have they started releasing decisions from the Novemeber boards yet?

Yeah! I heard back from my recruiter today!

I actually submitted by both email and uploading them to AFIT. I received an email that they received my documents. However, I had a question and contacted Maj. Swank about the reimbursements so she might have forwarded my question to their department and initiated their response. I have heard from other branches they waited months for their reimbursement. I’m still waiting for mine.
Are you still waiting?

Do any of you know how many spots are left for the 4 year Navy HPSP for January boards? Unfortunately I needed an acceptance before qualifying for boards so I have to wait until then. Thanks!

Hey everyone, congrats on acceptance and scholarship awards. I was very happy to receive an acceptance today. I had planned to apply for the Navy HPSP scholarship early this Fall. I reached out to my recruiter (in late Summer) through email, voicemail and text message multiple times and have not heard back. I talked in person to personnel at the Navy recruiting station and they told me to keep trying to reach out to him. I even emailed the Navy's contact email and heard nothing back. My acceptance is to a school in another state where I live. How should I go about applying for a 3-year scholarship? Does this change who my recruiter is? Any advice would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone, congrats on acceptance and scholarship awards. I was very happy to receive an acceptance today. I had planned to apply for the Navy HPSP scholarship early this Fall. I reached out to my recruiter (in late Summer) through email, voicemail and text message multiple times and have not heard back. I talked in person to personnel at the Navy recruiting station and they told me to keep trying to reach out to him. I even emailed the Navy's contact email and heard nothing back. My acceptance is to a school in another state where I live. How should I go about applying for a 3-year scholarship? Does this change who my recruiter is? Any advice would be appreciated.
It doesn't matter where you recruiter is located. So try contacting different ones until you get a response from one.

Hi everyone, I am somewhat confused at the moment. Based on this entire thread, it seems my recruiter has been doing things very differently for me than other applicants. I have noticed people saying they look at overall GPA, post-bacc GPA, leaderships activities/extracurriculars, volunteer opportunities, etc., yet my recruiter has not sent me anything which has asked for any of that. What form that is completed allows you to basically put down the same things from your dental application like this, because I haven't been sent it. 🤷‍♂️

Hi everyone, I am somewhat confused at the moment. Based on this entire thread, it seems my recruiter has been doing things very differently for me than other applicants. I have noticed people saying they look at overall GPA, post-bacc GPA, leaderships activities/extracurriculars, volunteer opportunities, etc., yet my recruiter has not sent me anything which has asked for any of that. What form that is completed allows you to basically put down the same things from your dental application like this, because I haven't been sent it. 🤷‍♂️
You should be able to send in a resume, at least for the Navy... there’s also a form where you put your personal statement and you can list leadership experience, activities, etc on that.

You should be able to send in a resume, at least for the Navy... there’s also a form where you put your personal statement and you can list leadership experience, activities, etc on that.
I am only applying Army. Is this for Army as well? If so my recruiter doesn't realize that I don't think. She had me send me her personal statement separately and hasn't mentioned anything like that beyond transcripts, DAT scores, and letters of rec. I've completed the AMEDD as well, but again, nothing on that massive form that had me put down volunteering or other extracurriculars.

I am only applying Army. Is this for Army as well? If so my recruiter doesn't realize that I don't think. She had me send me her personal statement separately and hasn't mentioned anything like that beyond transcripts, DAT scores, and letters of rec. I've completed the AMEDD as well, but again, nothing on that massive form that had me put down volunteering or other extracurriculars.
Actually, I'm not totally sure if they do this for the Army... I would double check with your recruiter. I applied Army and Navy, so I honestly can't be 100% sure with how much paperwork I've gone through. There's an Army Recruiter on here who is extremely informative so hopefully they will see your post!

Do you know when army board happens ? And army has no interview correct?
I was told Army board is Jan 26, and you do not interview. So Navy notification date is late Jan/early Feb, and Army will most likely be two weeks after. Definitely a tough waiting game! I wish they published more information on acceptance rate and average stats too, they are so hard to come by 😕

You think it’s too late to do army? I have my letters ready and medical forms just gotta do meps
There’s no harm in getting in touch with a recruiter, might get in by the 2nd board but my packet was already submitted so I’m not sure how quickly you would need to turn it around... Army board takes place end of Jan I’m pretty sure

How many letters are required I can get 3?
Five is the maximum, but three should work. I would get in touch with a recruiter for these questions though, they can be more specific on what’s required and what’s recommended. All I’m going by is what I remember from my conversation with my recruiter, which was months ago.

Man I’m such an idiot. I should have renewed my passport months ago when I heard about this instead I just submitted today and it’s gonna take months to come back. I don’t think I can do meps without valid proof of citizenship and passport is all I got. Man there’s goes the 4 year option - they don’t take expired documents
All isn’t lost! The three year is a great option and based on what I’ve read some branches will definitely back pay. First and foremost the program is about serving your country, so where there’s a will, there’s a way!

All isn’t lost! The three year is a great option and based on what I’ve read some branches will definitely back pay. First and foremost the program is about serving your country, so where there’s a will, there’s a way!
Yeah true. Just waiting another year sucks for something like passport being expired. I feel like it should still be proof. Nonetheless, good luck to you gator!

Man I’m such an idiot. I should have renewed my passport months ago when I heard about this instead I just submitted today and it’s gonna take months to come back. I don’t think I can do meps without valid proof of citizenship and passport is all I got. Man there’s goes the 4 year option - they don’t take expired documents
For proof of citizenship, can you submit a birth certificate plus a photo ID like a driver's license or something like that? Or does it specifically have to be a passport? Also, ask your recruiter if you can use the current passport to get through to the boards. They may be able to still review your packet, and if you get the scholarship it'll be contingent on you being able to produce an updated passport. Not sure if it'll work, but doesn't hurt to ask.

When I applied with Army, they had a portion on the application for me to input extracurriculars, awards, leadership, etc. I'm not sure how your recruiter is doing things, or if they changed it. Maybe she'll ask you to submit that info later on before the boards. But I'm pretty sure you need to send in a resume at some point, otherwise it's hard for the board to make selections

You can use other proofs of citizenship but passport is all I have. Do you do meps before or after you get the scholarship ?
You do MEPS before you can go to the boards. They need to determine if you're physically fit for service before accepting you. That being said, in certain cases if you need a medical waiver (asthma, surgery, etc.) then they can still send your packet to the boards, and they can accept you. However, it is contingent on your getting medically waived. So once your waiver goes through, then you can accept the scholarship. As for the general MEPS physical though, I believe that has to be done before the boards.

When I applied with Army, they had a portion on the application for me to input extracurriculars, awards, leadership, etc. I'm not sure how your recruiter is doing things, or if they changed it. Maybe she'll ask you to submit that info later on before the boards. But I'm pretty sure you need to send in a resume at some point, otherwise it's hard for the board to make selections
Yeah I have yet to have given them any of those things...nor has she asked for a CV/resume. I also just spoke with them and the recruiter said they have everything they need now. 🤷‍♂️ I'm like no you don't! lol

Hey guys, I was fortunate to be awarded 3 year HPSP with the Air Force last month. However, because I am attending a private dental school, I will still have over $100k in loans from my first year of dental school. Are there any other programs that could be used with HPSP to eliminate the remainder of my student debt?

Use your military stipend to pay it off, you get at least 2k for 36 months which will be equivalent to 72k. You just have to worry about 28k, so get a part-time job while dental school and pay it off.

Use your military stipend to pay it off, you get at least 2k for 36 months which will be equivalent to 72k. You just have to worry about 28k, so get a part-time job while dental school and pay it off.

Unfortunately, I will have to use the stipend to cover cost of living. Otherwise that would be a great idea.

Hey guys, I was fortunate to be awarded 3 year HPSP with the Air Force last month. However, because I am attending a private dental school, I will still have over $100k in loans from my first year of dental school. Are there any other programs that could be used with HPSP to eliminate the remainder of my student debt?
PSLF

If I were to do a residency with the military would those years count towards PSLF as well?
Yes, all active duty years will count. May as we’ll keep up on the documentation and all that just incase you stick around the whole 10 years...or if you separate you could look for a govt job to fulfill the remaining years

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know when the Navy’s feb board takes place?

Anyone know how many 4-Year Army HPSP applicants and available scholarships there are this year? I heard there were about 130 Navy applicants for 60 spots which is way less competitive than I thought it would be, so I'm curious to see if there are less Army applicants as well since last year there were supposedly 228 Army applicants for 75 spots.

Last year, people posted that they heard back on 2/13 for the Army scholarship. Should we expect to hear back sometime soon? Or are things delayed due to COVID?

Last year, people posted that they heard back on 2/13 for the Army scholarship. Should we expect to hear back sometime soon? Or are things delayed due to COVID?
That sounds consistent with what everyone else has been saying...and no everything is running on schedule according to multiple recruiters. I'm expecting to hear results this week tbh

The past two years, results have come out on the Thursday/Friday two weeks after the board. This year I believe the board was on 1/26, so we should get results tomorrow/Friday.

I hope we all get good news this week.

Just got word that I received the Army HPSP today. Is there anyone who has served in the Army who I could PM? I have some questions about the experience as an officer.

Reactions: 1 users
Seems close to the normal time...only time will tell lol

Just got word that I received the Army HPSP today. Is there anyone who has served in the Army who I could PM? I have some questions about the experience as an officer.
Does this mean all recruiters have access to results? Or would some recruiters get results before others?

Just found out I'm on the order of merit list...have no idea what that means but 🤷‍♂️

Just found out I'm on the order of merit list...have no idea what that means but 🤷‍♂️
That’s the waitlist I’m pretty sure, so it means you weren’t outright rejected but when people start dropping you could still get it!