Dental HPSP class of 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you haven't heard back for the 3 year from your recruiter you can assume you are denied/ placed on OML? Bummer.

Members don't see this ad.

If you haven't heard back for the 3 year from your recruiter you can assume you are denied/ placed on OML? Bummer.
I would text your recruiter . They’re supposed to notify you either way

Yup results are out for those whose still wondering :( bad news for me. Oh wells not meant to be!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thought I’d share these threads from the military dentistry sub-forum for the predents who don’t wander over there. It looks like it’s gonna get a lot harder to snag the HPSP in the future, due to downsizing and restructuring.

Big Hoss

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know if we are expected to pay our dental school deposit out of pocket or if the Army will cover that if we are accepted for HPSP?
You will pay it, your schools bursar will have it on your account to go towards tuition. As soon as your tuition is paid by "a third party" AKA the military, the deposit should just be excess funds on your bursar account that can be used to cover things not covered by the scholarship (there a usually some dumb fees not covered) then request your bursar refund you the remaining amount.

Reactions: 1 user
When would Army applicants find out the results? Anybody ?

Here’s hoping we get results today

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Results have been released. 4 Year Army HPSP Recipient here !! YAY

Reactions: 12 users
Results have been released. 4 Year Army HPSP Recipient here !! YAY
I'm also Army HPSP! I'm actually a recipient of the med scholarship, but I like lurking on HPSP pages to help people out if they have question. Feel free to hmu!

Reactions: 1 users
My recruiter is at an event right now so I'm waiting patiently to see if he can find out my status by calling the office. If not, I'll have to wait awhile.

I just found out I got put on the OML. I'm a little surprised because my numbers were pretty competitive, I had good rec letters, and my recruiter was able to tell me I was top 5 out of 24 for his battalion which would be within the top 1/3.

I just found out I got put on the OML. I'm a little surprised because my numbers were pretty competitive, I had good rec letters, and my recruiter was able to tell me I was top 5 out of 24 for his battalion which would be within the top 1/3.
Hey, sorry to hear that. There are other factors the Board takes into account, including personal statement, family members who have served, etc. Also the scholarship is very competitive, and only 1/3 of people got selected I believe. There's some hope to get off the OML if people decline the scholarship. If not, maybe shoot for 3-year, and apply to AF, Army, and Navy!

Just got the call from my recruiter. Selected for the 4-Year Army Scholarship!!

Reactions: 5 users
Are any other 4 Year Army recipients interested in starting a group chat? If so - PM me !

Anyone have any idea how many spots usually open up after this?

Hi Everyone!!!

I applied for both the 4 year Air Force HPSP and Army HPSP. I got awarded both! I am accepting the Air Forces commissioning offer and declining the Army’s offer. I just wanted to offer some hope for those of you who got put on the OML. I’m sure there are several others who applied to more then one branch! Best of luck to everyone!

4 year army scholarship here!!! Damn. I was not expecting this at all.

Hi Everyone!!!

I applied for both the 4 year Air Force HPSP and Army HPSP. I got awarded both! I am accepting the Air Forces commissioning offer and declining the Army’s offer. I just wanted to offer some hope for those of you who got put on the OML. I’m sure there are several others who applied to more then one branch! Best of luck to everyone!

Congratulations on your offers, and thanks for giving the rest of us a little hope. I have a 3.8 and a 22 AA so I'm hopeful I'm near the top of the OML.

Congratulations on your offers, and thanks for giving the rest of us a little hope. I have a 3.8 and a 22 AA so I'm hopeful I'm near the top of the OML.

Those are awesome stats! As long as you have lots of leadership activities and volunteer work that really stands out I think you have a good shot at being on top of the OML list. I actually am currently serving in the Air Force Reserves so being able to commission and continue my Air Force career as a dental officer is a huge blessing for me.

Reactions: 3 users
Those are awesome stats! As long as you have lots of leadership activities and volunteer work that really stands out I think you have a good shot at being on top of the OML list. I actually am currently serving in the Air Force Reserves so being able to commission and continue my Air Force career as a dental officer is a huge blessing for me.

That's awesome! Thank you for the encouragement. Honestly I think my biggest weakness was probably I didn't have an acceptance letter when boards met. My first acceptance was last week to the University of Southern California. I've heard rumors that they will sometimes pass over people without acceptance letters even if they're competitive, but hopefully now that won't hold me back.

4 year army scholarship here!!! Damn. I was not expecting this at all.
PM me your number ! I’ll add you to a group chat with other 4 year army recipients if you’re interested !

That's awesome! Thank you for the encouragement. Honestly I think my biggest weakness was probably I didn't have an acceptance letter when boards met. My first acceptance was last week to the University of Southern California. I've heard rumors that they will sometimes pass over people without acceptance letters even if they're competitive, but hopefully now that won't hold me back.

Yeah they most certainly factor in acceptance letters which makes sense. I would say the acceptance letter will most certainly help a lot. Also, if for some reason you don’t get it apply to the 3 year Air Force scholarship they offer a lot of 3 year slots compared to the other branches. They also do in person interviews which I really enjoyed. Also, congratulations on getting accepted though! Thats a huge achievement alone!

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah they most certainly factor in acceptance letters which makes sense. I would say the acceptance letter will most certainly help a lot. Also, if for some reason you don’t get it apply to the 3 year Air Force scholarship they offer a lot of 3 year slots compared to the other branches. They also do in person interviews which I really enjoyed. Also, congratulations on getting accepted though! Thats a huge achievement alone!

Thanks for the advice! USC is pretty pricey, but my plan is to attend anyway and hope to hear back from the Army sometime in the next few months. If not, I'll be sure to talk apply with the Air Force later in the year, the 3 year is still a great deal.

my recruiter texted me saying i was selected for 4-year army, but i still need my waivers to be approved. are my chances still pretty good?

my recruiter texted me saying i was selected for 4-year army, but i still need my waivers to be approved. are my chances still pretty good?
I BELIEVE: That means that they have decided to grant you the scholarship. However, you may not accept it until your waiver has been approved, however long that takes. It also means that if your waiver is denied, they will give the scholarship to someone else. But the bottom line is, you have been accepted, and as soon as you get your waivers you can officially sign the paperwork. Congratulations!

Last edited:
Congrats to all accepted! I messaged my recruiter earlier today asking whether the results have been released for the 4-year army and they replied "Hi [Invisibility], we are pending the hard release (the official release). Once we get that I'll give you a definite answer. I'm sorry I can't give a solid answer".

This seems a bit strange as some people have been notified even if they have been placed on OML. Not sure if I have been rejected but I felt my stats were competitive and that my application overall was strong. I also had an acceptance letter sent with my app. Does anyone have an idea when the "official release" may be announced?

Last edited:
Got selected for the army HPSP 4 year scholarship! Still, no acceptances though lol :(:(:(

Reactions: 2 users
I BELIEVE: That means that they have decided to grant you the scholarship. However, you may not accept it until your waiver has been approved, however long that takes. It also means that if your waiver is denied, they will give the scholarship to someone else. But the bottom line is, you have been accepted, and as soon as you get your waivers you can officially sign the paperwork. Congratulations!
geez so now i gotta wait again for a few weeks lol

Any updates on Navy HPSP? The wait is killing me!

Reactions: 4 users
I got denied by Army today - 23 DAT and 3.7 GPA. Not sure what is going on. My Navy recruiter said that results should be coming out for HPSP sometime this week but tomorrow is Friday so we shall see. Fingers crossed.

i got lasik last year
and one for underage drinking
I need one for asthma (fingers double extra crossed) and LASIK as well
I’m not getting my hopes up, yet. Gotta get through this first and then I can celebrate.

I got denied by Army today - 23 DAT and 3.7 GPA. Not sure what is going on. My Navy recruiter said that results should be coming out for HPSP sometime this week but tomorrow is Friday so we shall see. Fingers crossed.
I was also placed on the OML, despite what seemed like strong stats. Anyhow, my recruiter said that I could find out as late as June if I ever roll off it.

I have been following this post for sometime now just reading the comments. I noticed that a lot of people really focused on the fact that they had a really strong DAT score and GPA. Of course, you want these numbers to be pretty high. However, as an individual who is currently serving and has a pretty good idea of what these boards are looking for. I would have to say that stats are important but what you put for your leadership positions, volunteer activities, and your personal statement is what is going to set you aside from everyone else. As an officer you are going to be leading / managing the enlisted core. These boards are designed to find individuals who are already out in their community leading organizations, volunteering, and providing a motivation statement showing they are committed to the core values and mission of the army.

Reactions: 6 users
I have been following this post for sometime now just reading the comments. I noticed that a lot of people really focused on the fact that they had a really strong DAT score and GPA. Of course, you want these numbers to be pretty high. However, as an individual who is currently serving and has a pretty good idea of what these boards are looking for. I would have to say that stats are important but what you put for your leadership positions, volunteer activities, and your personal statement is what is going to set you aside from everyone else. As an officer you are going to be leading / managing the enlisted core. These boards are designed to find individuals who are already out in their community leading organizations, volunteering, and providing a motivation statement showing they are committed to the core values and mission of the army.
Thank you! Stats are not everything. Just like applying to dental/medical/professional school, they look at EVERYTHING. On top of stats, you need to have strong, meaningful extracurricular activities (volunteering, research, leadership, clubs, etc.), a good personal statement (ie you need to know how to write and include proper content), strong letters of rec from good letter writers, whether you have family members who are serving/served, etc. Ofc stats are important, but just because you have high stats doesn't mean you're going to get in. And due to the competitive nature of the scholarship (and professional school in general), even those who have all the boxes checked might not get in. So if you did not get the scholarship, this is NOT a reflection of your ability/worth!

I know in the past some people got accepted off the Army OML in June. Is that the earliest we could hear back, or could we hear back sooner if we are near the top because of the people turning down their spots for the Air Force?

Army OML'd here too. Anyone know how many get placed on OML and how many typically get off? Congrats to all who made it.