Dental HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gojets64

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
renderTimingPixel.png

I had a few questions regarding dental HPSP for anyone who has gone through the program recently.

1. My cumulative GPA is a 3.8 and my DAT score is a 22. These are above the minimum, but the Air Force is my top choice for HPSP and as I understand it the Air Force is also by far the most competitive. Should I feel confident enough to only apply to the Air Force, or should I also apply with the Army to be sure I get in? The AF recruiter told me "you definitely qualify" when I told him my numbers, but I realize qualifying is much different than acceptance.
  2. Both dentists I shadowed were Navy dentists and have agreed to write me letters of recommendation. I need to get back to them about the details of the letter. Do the Air Force or Army have any special requirements for the letters? For example, do they have a specific form that is needed? Also, can the dentists send the letters to me or do they have to go directly to the recruiting offices?
  3. When I do my AEGD, will I owe an extra year for that? What I mean is, I will owe 4 years for dental school, and the AEGD takes a year, so will I overall be in 5 years, or will I owe another year for the AEGD and be in for 6 years?

Many thanks in advance,

Members don't see this ad.

renderTimingPixel.png

I had a few questions regarding dental HPSP for anyone who has gone through the program recently.

1. My cumulative GPA is a 3.8 and my DAT score is a 22. These are above the minimum, but the Air Force is my top choice for HPSP and as I understand it the Air Force is also by far the most competitive. Should I feel confident enough to only apply to the Air Force, or should I also apply with the Army to be sure I get in? The AF recruiter told me "you definitely qualify" when I told him my numbers, but I realize qualifying is much different than acceptance.
  2. Both dentists I shadowed were Navy dentists and have agreed to write me letters of recommendation. I need to get back to them about the details of the letter. Do the Air Force or Army have any special requirements for the letters? For example, do they have a specific form that is needed? Also, can the dentists send the letters to me or do they have to go directly to the recruiting offices?
  3. When I do my AEGD, will I owe an extra year for that? What I mean is, I will owe 4 years for dental school, and the AEGD takes a year, so will I overall be in 5 years, or will I owe another year for the AEGD and be in for 6 years?
Many thanks in advance,

@gojets64 I won't be the best resource for Army or Air Force specific questions since I was recently selected for the Navy HPSP but I will do my best! But for your last question about the AEGD or GPR, my understanding is that a residency is considered a "neutral" year. This means that you do not owe more years if you do a residency. Therefore, if you do an AEGD for a 4 year scholarship, you do 1 year of residency then perform your original 4 years of service (overall 5 years)

In the Navy, I remember having my letters of recommendation sent directly to my recruiter. I forget the exact requirements but I had my letter writers for dental apps (2 professors, 1 volunteer coordinator, 1 dentist) write my letters in addition to a letter from my boss.

I think your stats are great! I would recommend talking to your AF recruiter on what else you could do to make you stand out.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
I had a 22 on the DAT as well, and a 3.94GPA when I applied. I was not selected for the AF but was for the Army and the Navy. This doesn't mean you couldn't be selected for the AF, because they do look at things other than DAT and GPA. But I would recommend applying to another branch in addition the AF just in case. The AF is the most competitive branch.

Like the previous poster said, I simply sent all the letters I had to my recruiter, in addition to two letters from senior military officers I had connections with, so I am not to sure which ones made it to the board.

But with those letters, and your scores, you stand a great chance at getting a scholarship somewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
@gojets64 I won't be the best resource for Army or Air Force specific questions since I was recently selected for the Navy HPSP but I will do my best! But for your last question about the AEGD or GPR, my understanding is that a residency is considered a "neutral" year. This means that you do not owe more years if you do a residency. Therefore, if you do an AEGD for a 4 year scholarship, you do 1 year of residency then perform your original 4 years of service (overall 5 years)

In the Navy, I remember having my letters of recommendation sent directly to my recruiter. I forget the exact requirements but I had my letter writers for dental apps (2 professors, 1 volunteer coordinator, 1 dentist) write my letters in addition to a letter from my boss.

I think your stats are great! I would recommend talking to your AF recruiter on what else you could do to make you stand out.

Good luck!
I had a 22 on the DAT as well, and a 3.94GPA when I applied. I was not selected for the AF but was for the Army and the Navy. This doesn't mean you couldn't be selected for the AF, because they do look at things other than DAT and GPA. But I would recommend applying to another branch in addition the AF just in case. The AF is the most competitive branch.

Like the previous poster said, I simply sent all the letters I had to my recruiter, in addition to two letters from senior military officers I had connections with, so I am not to sure which ones made it to the board.

But with those letters, and your scores, you stand a great chance at getting a scholarship somewhere.

Thank you very much! Between the two of you I had my questions answered. I'm still hopeful for the AF but I will apply with the Army too to be safe.

You have a 3.8 GPA and you're going to be a dentist?

Anyway, you'll easily qualify and then it's just a matter of timing. If there's slots open and your recruiter gets your packet there, you're set. Regardless, put in a back up with the Navy or Army just to be safe. Also keep an eye on specialization in each branch so that you can choose if you get picked up by multiple branches (how many slots per year per specialty ect). I'm making the assumption you'll be specializing given that with your GPA that's the only way dental school makes any sense. If that's not the case, ignore the specialty comment and go Air Force if possible.

Good luck

You have a 3.8 GPA and you're going to be a dentist?

Anyway, you'll easily qualify and then it's just a matter of timing. If there's slots open and your recruiter gets your packet there, you're set. Regardless, put in a back up with the Navy or Army just to be safe. Also keep an eye on specialization in each branch so that you can choose if you get picked up by multiple branches (how many slots per year per specialty ect). I'm making the assumption you'll be specializing given that with your GPA that's the only way dental school makes any sense. If that's not the case, ignore the specialty comment and go Air Force if possible.

Good luck
This is literally the dumbest comment I've read on SDN in a long time. :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Reactions: 9 users