Dental Hygenist (SP?) salaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TPMOH

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's up with the hourly rate of dental hygenists? Why is it so high? Don't they just complete a 2-4 yr program? What do they do besides clean teeth and assist in oral surgeries? I saw an ad in the Columbus area for $32-36/hr- that would be $66,560.00-$74,880.00/yr for a 40 hr work week. That's almost as high as a pharmacist's salary- with much less intense training. Just curious.

Members don't see this ad.

1. Getting into a DH school is competitive.

2. The supply of RDH's is controlled just like the supply of DDS's.

3. DDS's can bill patients for RDH work at about $250/Hour.

4. RDH's must work under the supervision of dentists (in most states). Therefore, their prospect for realizing significant inceases in annual income is virtually capped upon licensure to practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
That just means they are being compensated for the money they are making the dentist that they are working for.
besides...if you find one that is really good and they make you more money and the clients like them...why not pay them for the job well done? i know several offices that have lots of perks for the hygenist and assistance. bonuses, free health club memberships where ever they choose, tanning beds in the office,

trust me, if you get a good staff--you will always have lots of clients!

have you noticed a lot of the office workers are bubbley, smiling blondes?

i know where i am at, there is only one cc that offers a rdh program, they accept only 20 a year, and it is harder to get in than and harder to stay in that anything else offered.

The only experience I've had w/hygienists is having my own teeth cleaned, but based only on that I think they're worth that kind of salary. Patients spend most of their time at a cleaning with their hygienist, and maybe 1/20th of that type of a visit with the DDS. Even more importantly, teeth cleaning is a very labor-intensive task where accuracy and attention are quite important -- I want someone poking around in my mouth with metal tools to be *super*-competent, not just okay. ;)

Also, as another poster said, the success of a dental practice can hinge on the "popularity" of its hygienist staff. I would have changed dentists recently if I hadn't had the opportunity to switch hygienists, even though I really like my dentist.

A good hygenist will make you as the dentist everything you pay them plus some profit, and that doesn't even count the business that they generate for you between the screening of the 8 to 12 patients that they'll see on average per day. I'm not just talking about apparent areas of decay either, but a good hygenist will "subtly" remind them about that crown that you as the dentist had mentioned at their last recall visit, they'll sell the bleaching to the patient which will often lead to future cosmetic procedures, and lately in my office will sell laser based periodontal therapy. Basically the 3 hygenists in my office will each produce around $1000 per day for a full day. From that $1000 my partner and I will often be able to generate another $2000 to $10,000 in future production from those they the hygenists saw that day:clap: That doesn't even count the $2000 to $5000 that my partner and I each produce per day.

Basically while paying a hygenist $30 to $35 dollars an hour leading to salaries between $50,000 to $75,000 a year may seem like alot, in what your return on that will be, it's well worth it. My partner and I didn't even mind writing the check last week to fully fund the retirement accounts of our hygenists to the tune of over $40,000:eek: simply because we know that they make us all that back and then a handsome sum. Hygenists are a vital part of every office, and patients like seeing the same faces from visit to visit, so you take care of your hygenists to the tune of a good salary, medical, retirement plans, continuing education stipends, etc, etc, etc. Plus, you should do ANY dental cosmetic procedure they want, because they will talk about it and how great you are to alot of their patients while they're working on them. All of the sudden at the end of their cleaning, you walk into the operatory and that patient doesn't think, but KNOWS that you're the greatest dentist that there is :love: , and they'll do any treatment that you say:D

Hygenists are worth every cent you pay them!