dental hygiene degree before dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ktnguye3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am pretty new to this website, but here is my situation.

I have really poor stats (low gpa and no shadowing yet), I won't even mention details because of what I have seen so far on here. I applied into one dental school and have not heard from them (so I assume my rejection letter is coming). I had also applied into a dental hygiene program out of state. I know, I know. Why did I apply into two different programs? I heard of people that could not get into their desire program applying for another in the similar field and reapplying into the actual program they want later and getting in. Actually, I didn't hear this; I know a person that it worked out this way. I got accepted into the dental hygiene program.

What should I do? Will doing the dental hygiene program help my dental school application later on? If so, do I have to finish the program and then apply or can I apply into the 08 cycle with what one fall semester of DH? Before my acceptance letter into the DH program, I was going to just find dental work and shadowing. I was also going to take the DAT again to balance out my low gpa.

This is also troublesome because the dental hygiene program is out of state so the tuition is pretty high for my case if I really am just going to apply into dental school later. Don't get me wrong, if the program helps my case, I have no problem taking out more loans for the long run.

Members don't see this ad.

Just try a post-bacc or masters instead.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi. I am currently doing my Bachelor's degree in Biology for Dental School, but I was just wondering if anyone had any feedback on whether it is better to get a Bachelor's in Dental Hygiene instead. Does it make your application to dental school more competitive? Thanks for any feedbak!

I can tell you this. I don't think anyone in my class had a BS or BA or whatever they give in Dental Hygiene. That said, there are a few people in the dental hygeine program at VCU that hope to eventually get into VCU's dental program.

If you are confident in getting good grades, stick with a science major and shadow or get a job part time as a dental assistant. I think that would look much better. On the flip side, if you decided not to go to dental school, or if you didn't get in to dental school, hygiene would pay better out the door than a science degree.

Hi. I am currently doing my Bachelor's degree in Biology for Dental School, but I was just wondering if anyone had any feedback on whether it is better to get a Bachelor's in Dental Hygiene instead. Does it make your application to dental school more competitive? Thanks for any feedbak!

dental hygiene is a much more valuable degree IMO. if you still take the pre-reqs and knock them out of the park, being a pro at scaling and rpt's will be about a trillion times more beneficial then being a pro at assaying proteins or making cDNA libraries. also, on breaks or the sumer before dental school, you can go out and make some good $$$$. :thumbup:

Well, being a praciticing hygienist will give great hands-on experience and help show whether you are right for dentistry or if dentistry is right for you. Being an RDH has definitely shown me! But, I don't just have a BS in Dental Hygiene. I actually earned a BS in Biology first...so, it's your call on what route you want to take.

Only if you believe that the course load for dh is as rigorous as that for bio.

Only if you believe that the course load for dh is as rigorous as that for bio.

even though gpa>>>rigourous nature of major? and considering dental hygiene shows more insight/experience into dentistry? i know some 3rd yr students who wish they had the experience/ rpt skills of hygienists right now.

A dental hygiene program is MUCH more rigorous than a biology degree (especially if you are taking all the prereqs for dental school) and it will likely take you longer. If you plan on going straight to dental school, go straight to dental school. But, if you decide to apply to the dental hygiene program don't tell them that you really want to be a dentist because they want to train people who will stay in the profession.

Most of the hygienists that get into dental school practice for years before they apply. This is the major advantage to being a RDH when applying, it's not really the degree, it's the experience.

A dental hygiene program is MUCH more rigorous than a biology degree (especially if you are taking all the prereqs for dental school) and it will likely take you longer. If you plan on going straight to dental school, go straight to dental school. But, if you decide to apply to the dental hygiene program don't tell them that you really want to be a dentist because they want to train people who will stay in the profession.

Most of the hygienists that get into dental school practice for years before they apply. This is the major advantage to being a RDH when applying, it's not really the degree, it's the experience.

Agree. I did hygiene because I wanted to learn a different aspect of dentistry and to see if dentistry is my field. I also wanted a "technical" 4- year degree. Only do it if you want to, it does not hurt, I took pharmacology, pathology, head and neck anatomy classes and other hygiene related classes but nothing like biochem, orgo, etc. It is tough if you are planning to take it together with prereqs, plus you have to pass the National Board, and you have to find the right patients to meet requirements to graduate. 2 girls in my class did it though and they're applying to dental school.
I did it for the experience, I got to treat my own patients the summer of my first year (Junior year of college!), travelled out of the country and underserved areas. I liked that a lot..... and it pays the bills! Bottom line is don't do it to get into dental school, it might help..maybe. but not guarantee. The experience, though, is guaranteed.

Yes, yes, and yes! I agree 100%. DH curriculum is intense and you go to many different classes. Plus, being able to learn about instruments and honing your dexterity is PRICELESS. The hands-on experience in the real world that you gain is so valuable. DH is a wonderful career. It's very enjoyable and has increased my interest in dentistry.

Thanks for the feed back. I was just reading the forum on what people are doing with their BS degrees in Biology and they're pretty much useless! I mean..I was talking with my dentist yesterday, and that is what he recommended I do. I figured atleast with a BS in DH I'd have a great degree to fall back if I didn't get accepted into Dental School right away. I just wasn't sure if it would effect my chances of getting into Dental School vs getting in with a Biology Degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the feed back. I was just reading the forum on what people are doing with their BS degrees in Biology and they're pretty much useless! I mean..I was talking with my dentist yesterday, and that is what he recommended I do. I figured atleast with a BS in DH I'd have a great degree to fall back if I didn't get accepted into Dental School right away. I just wasn't sure if it would effect my chances of getting into Dental School vs getting in with a Biology Degree.
The question is how's your GPA?

If you're getting 3.5s in your sciences then it doesn't matter what your degree is in because you've got a chance at getting into dental school. If your GPA is under 3.0 then you should think about a back-up plan. But don't assume that getting into a dental hygiene program is a piece of cake either. When I applied to my DH program I had a 4.0 in all of my science prereqs and a Bachelor's degree and I barely got in from the alternate list. They really value experience. (This is what I found in Seattle - it could be different where you live.)

The bottom line is if you are smart enough to get into a dental hygiene program without previous work experience then you are smart enough to get into dental school. So just go for it! :)

even though gpa>>>rigourous nature of major? and considering dental hygiene shows more insight/experience into dentistry? i know some 3rd yr students who wish they had the experience/ rpt skills of hygienists right now.

Isn't that kind of the point? You need to have a solid predental background to gain acceptance into a ds and to carry you through the first 2 years of ds before you can enjoy or wish you had the experience acquired through dh experience.

A dental hygiene program is MUCH more rigorous than a biology degree (especially if you are taking all the prereqs for dental school) and it will likely take you longer. If you plan on going straight to dental school, go straight to dental school. But, if you decide to apply to the dental hygiene program don't tell them that you really want to be a dentist because they want to train people who will stay in the profession. Most of the hygienists that get into dental school practice for years before they apply. This is the major advantage to being a RDH when applying, it's not really the degree, it's the experience.

If you believe a dh program is "MUCH more rigorous than a bio degree" then you probably also believe that a physics course offered to elementary school teachers is as rigorous as engineering physics. Excellent advice on downright deceit for anyone contemplating a professional school.
______

For the dh and da rah-rah section it is interesting that there is not a single dental school in the country that recommends either one of those two programs, which probably means they are oblivious to the bliss of having experience in one or the other.

Isn't that kind of the point? You need to have a solid predental background to gain acceptance into a ds and to carry you through the first 2 years of ds before you can enjoy or wish you had the experience acquired through dh experience.

If you believe a dh program is "MUCH more rigorous than a bio degree" then you probably also believe that a physics course offered to elementary school teachers is as rigorous as engineering physics. Excellent advice on downright deceit for anyone contemplating a professional school.
______

For the dh and da rah-rah section it is interesting that there is not a single dental school in the country that recommends either one of those two programs, which probably means they are oblivious to the bliss of having experience in one or the other.

the hygienists in my class are killin it in dental school. if you can rock a solid gpa in the pre-reqs, (bio,chem,ochem,blah blah) and then get a dental hygiene degree, you are more prepared for dental school than taking 40 upper division units in bio. that is a stone cold fact.

my degree is a BS in cellular and molecular biology, and i would gladly trade it for a hygiene degree (if it wasn't kinda akward for a big fella like myself to be a man-gienist). there is no doubt that it has more value. outside of obviously having an advantage scaling, root planning, prophys, reading xrays, and patient care; a hygiene degree has a much higher starting salary than a bio degree and its in the field you're interested in.

Doc Toothache, I feel sorry for the hygienist(s) that work for you because you obviously think we are idiots.

As someone who has completed both a DH program and prereqs for dental school, I can say that my DH program was much more rigorous than completing a biology degree at UW.

I think both a BS in Bio/Chem/Other Science and BS in DH both are rigorous. I've got a BS in Biology and a BS in DH, and they were intense in different ways. For the Bio degree, I took many upper level biology/chemistry courses. For the DH degree, I took a lot of courses dealing with the oral cavity, pathology, anatomy, etc., in addition to clinical experience.

Depends on what the OP is willing to do. Are you willing to put in the work for either degree? Are you willing to go into a very hands-on career in DH and then possibly dental school?

Hey everyone,

I'm really interested in this thread! :) If I decide to pursue a dental hygiene program and then dental does the adcom for dental schools look at the DH program in terms of experience or are grades calculated and considered with your application as well?

Thanks!

hmmmm...some interesting and differing points of view. Look, if you want to go to ds, focus on ds. If you slay the prereq's and knock out the DAT you'll get in to ds. Keep your gpa up and stay in school full time. Get an MS if you are forced to. If you are committed to ds the adcom will see it.

If you go to hygiene school it will look like you are unsure of what you want to do. Yeah, it's great money and will afford you sick skills going into ds; however, in my opinion you would be spending a lot of time and money becoming a hygienist and will likely set yourself back a year or two...or three.

Yep, I am a man-gienist. Took me a few years to get into ds too buddy. Stick to your original ds plan and if you perform well and fully commit yourself you'll get in. Hey, just my 2 cents.

Don't take the BDSC. If you want to do dentistry just do the prereqs and an easy degree that you can get good marks on. You don't get bonus marks for doing a BDSC, but you do when you get a good GPA from an easy degree.

FYI, BDSC is just as rigorous as BSc in Biology. If you haven't done both, then you are in no position to talk and compare.

______

Way to generalize and assume things. Have you gone through a BDSC? If you haven't then you should keep your assumptions to yourself.

Of course dental schools won't come out and recommend people to go through BDSC - it's not a predent degree and the BDSC programs would be livid if their programs are turned into a pre-dental program. In fact most schools don't recommend you to get ANY degree, whether it's BDSC or BIOLOGY or ENGINEERING, but just because they don't recommend it does not mean they don't perfer applicants with more dental experience.

Wouldn't it be more useful to be an expanded dental assistant?

I dont know a whole lot about DH school... but I think if you're interested in being a dentist you should stick to a traditional four year. My reason is this...
I used to work as an allied health practitioner (not an MA or somthing like that, more simular to DH) and while I was "trained" in a specific field I wasnt "educated" in the same way I am becoming from finishing a traditional four year degree. In the end you will be a professional and need to pick up intellectual skills that will be difficult to get if you spend all your academic career training to do a job.

So I encourage you, get educated in college - then trained in dental school.

i everyone, I've been checking out this website for a while and just made a membership. I was wondering if anyone had any advice in regards to going from Dental Hygiene to Dental school. I'm 21 and doing my undergrad in Dental Hygiene at a University. I'll be finished with my Bachelors in the Science of Dental Hygiene when I'm 24. While I'm doing this I've also been fitting in the main Dental school pre-req's. When I graduate I'll have done:

Gen Chem 1+2
Org. Chem 1+2
Physics 1+ 2
A+P 1+2
Microbio
Biochem

Are there any more classes that ya'll suggest I fit in?
I was also wondering if anyone had any advice in regards to how dental schools look at DH students. I've already done a ridiculous amount of shadowing (volunteer work) and plan to continue with that. I have my heart set on Uconn because I'm from CT so if anyone has any thoughts on this I'd really appreciate it.
By the way I plan to take the DAT the summer after I graduate and plan on having a GPA of at least 3.7 and a Science GPA of at least 3.7 if not higher.
Thanks!

Hi, I am pretty new to this website, but here is my situation.

I have really poor stats (low gpa and no shadowing yet), I won't even mention details because of what I have seen so far on here. I applied into one dental school and have not heard from them (so I assume my rejection letter is coming). I had also applied into a dental hygiene program out of state. I know, I know. Why did I apply into two different programs? I heard of people that could not get into their desire program applying for another in the similar field and reapplying into the actual program they want later and getting in. Actually, I didn't hear this; I know a person that it worked out this way. I got accepted into the dental hygiene program.

What should I do? Will doing the dental hygiene program help my dental school application later on? If so, do I have to finish the program and then apply or can I apply into the 08 cycle with what one fall semester of DH? Before my acceptance letter into the DH program, I was going to just find dental work and shadowing. I was also going to take the DAT again to balance out my low gpa.

This is also troublesome because the dental hygiene program is out of state so the tuition is pretty high for my case if I really am just going to apply into dental school later. Don't get me wrong, if the program helps my case, I have no problem taking out more loans for the long run.

Hi, I'm new to the website too. What is your GPA and DAT scores? You sound like you may potentially be on the track I'm on.
I'm a dental hygiene student and I'm also doing pre-dental pre-req's. You sound worried about getting into dental school but you're idea is good I think.
By doing a dental hygiene program you're creating a foundation of a career for yourself just incase you don't get into dental school. Hygienist make a good amount to start and also it will give you knowledge and experience in the dental field which could potentially be a leg up when in dental school.

So by doing DH and retaking the DAT you're also allowing time to retake some of those pre-req's that you didn't do so hot in. This way it's a win-win situation because you'll have a good career and also a way to better yourself for future dental school applications.
Both a post-grad and DH program will help you better your GPA for applying and give you something important to do while redoing the DAT but DH will give you more experience in the field you seem to like and a good solid career just incase things fall through with dental school. Also being an RDH will give you a way to make good money during summer and winter breaks in dental school :)

Hope this helps

Hi, I'm new to the website too. What is your GPA and DAT scores? You sound like you may potentially be on the track I'm on.
I'm a dental hygiene student and I'm also doing pre-dental pre-req's. You sound worried about getting into dental school but you're idea is good I think.
By doing a dental hygiene program you're creating a foundation of a career for yourself just incase you don't get into dental school. Hygienist make a good amount to start and also it will give you knowledge and experience in the dental field which could potentially be a leg up when in dental school.

So by doing DH and retaking the DAT you're also allowing time to retake some of those pre-req's that you didn't do so hot in. This way it's a win-win situation because you'll have a good career and also a way to better yourself for future dental school applications.
Both a post-grad and DH program will help you better your GPA for applying and give you something important to do while redoing the DAT but DH will give you more experience in the field you seem to like and a good solid career just incase things fall through with dental school. Also being an RDH will give you a way to make good money during summer and winter breaks in dental school :)

Hope this helps

Nicely said. I'm an RDH currently and have been accepted to dental school for class of 2015. Being an RDH has definitely shown me how much I love dentistry...first-hand experience is priceless. Income is pretty nice too. To the OP, just do what you think will fit you best. If you want the hands-on experience in the dental field, dental hygiene is a nice route.

Frefallin,

I have a ton of questions for you. I too am a hygienist who wants to go to dental school. I started this fall on my pre-req's. What if any advice do you have for me. Any insights would be greatly appreciated. I took Chem 1 and Cell Biology class last fall and am registered for chem 2 and Ant and Phys. 1 this winter. I guess my biggest concern is I will not have taken any Organic Chemistry this year and if I stay on the track i'm on I will have all my pre-req's done by Spring of 2012. I'm thinking of taking the DAT and applying to schools this summer, just studying Organic on my own for the DAT.

Thanks in advance.

p.s. I'm also older, (have been a hygienist for 10 years)

Nicely said. I'm an RDH currently and have been accepted to dental school for class of 2015. Being an RDH has definitely shown me how much I love dentistry...first-hand experience is priceless. Income is pretty nice too. To the OP, just do what you think will fit you best. If you want the hands-on experience in the dental field, dental hygiene is a nice route.

Hey Freefallin, I totally have questions for you too now!! :)
First, what dental school did you get into because It's always good to know the ones that are open to Dental Hygienists.
Also how did you fit the dental school pre-req's into dh school? I'm trying to, it's difficult but I'm making it happen so far lol.
The things I'm making sure to take are:
Org. Chem 1+2
Physics 1+2
And I've already taken:
A+P 1+2
Micro
Gen Chem 1 + (2 next semester)

Do you suggest any others that I should be trying to fit in? Ideally I want to go to Uconn so if you know anything about them that would be great! Thanks!

Frefallin,

I have a ton of questions for you. I too am a hygienist who wants to go to dental school. I started this fall on my pre-req's. What if any advice do you have for me. Any insights would be greatly appreciated. I took Chem 1 and Cell Biology class last fall and am registered for chem 2 and Ant and Phys. 1 this winter. I guess my biggest concern is I will not have taken any Organic Chemistry this year and if I stay on the track i'm on I will have all my pre-req's done by Spring of 2012. I'm thinking of taking the DAT and applying to schools this summer, just studying Organic on my own for the DAT.

Thanks in advance.

p.s. I'm also older, (have been a hygienist for 10 years)

My advice is to study hard and make sure you keep up your GPA. I've been out of undergrad for a few years now and am having to retake a couple classes I didn't do so well in the first time around. So, just make sure you do great the first time! I love seeing hygienists applying to DS! Good luck! Feel free to PM me anytime.

Hey Freefallin, I totally have questions for you too now!! :)
First, what dental school did you get into because It's always good to know the ones that are open to Dental Hygienists.
Also how did you fit the dental school pre-req's into dh school? I'm trying to, it's difficult but I'm making it happen so far lol.
The things I'm making sure to take are:
Org. Chem 1+2
Physics 1+2
And I've already taken:
A+P 1+2
Micro
Gen Chem 1 + (2 next semester)

Do you suggest any others that I should be trying to fit in? Ideally I want to go to Uconn so if you know anything about them that would be great! Thanks!

I actually have 2 Bachelors degrees... one in Biology and one in DH. So, I actually had all my prereqs done before I went into DH school. My advice would be to study hard and don't slack. It will be difficult keeping up with prereqs and staying on track with your clinical work in DH school.

I would HIGHLY recommend you take Biochemistry. A lot of dental schools require that particular course, in addition to all the other prereqs.

All the interviews I went to showed me that those schools welcome RDH applicants. PM me anytime! :)

Hi everyone, I've been checking out this website for a while and just made a membership. I was wondering if anyone had any advice in regards to going from Dental Hygiene to Dental school. I'm 21 and doing my undergrad in Dental Hygiene at a University. I'll be finished with my Bachelors in the Science of Dental Hygiene when I'm 24. While I'm doing this I've also been fitting in the main Dental school pre-req's. I can honestly say that doing DH and Pre-dental together is much harder than a bio or chem major. I'm not just saying that from my experience but from studying with friends who are chem and bio majors they've told me about how the workload is difficult but not completely overwhelming like dh+pre-D. (So far it's definitely been really great and worth the extra work) When I graduate I'll have done:

Gen Chem 1+2
Org. Chem 1+2
Physics 1+ 2
A+P 1+2
Microbio
Biochem
Nutrition
Stat
Genetics (Hopefully)
Along with all the Dental Hygiene courses which include things like 8hours of clinical rotation a week (just in first year, it's a lot more in second), pharmacology, radiology, Periodontology and specific oral anatomy classes.
I don't know if it will help my chances of getting into dental school but It definitely is an amazing experience.

I was also wondering if anyone had any advice in regards to how dental schools look at DH students. I've already done a ridiculous amount of shadowing (volunteer work) and plan to continue with that. I have my heart set on Uconn because I'm from CT so if anyone has any thoughts on this I'd really appreciate it.
By the way I plan to take the DAT the summer after I graduate and plan on having a GPA of at least 3.7 and a Science GPA of at least 3.7 if not higher.
Thanks!

You've got a pretty competitive GPA in your DH program, so that's good. Pretty much, dental schools are looking for students who are competent and interested in dentistry. If DH give you extra experience, you will definitely be qualified. However, like others pointed out this can sometimes take longer than sticking to traditional routes (regular Bachelor's degree) because you will have to find a way to complete your pre-reqs.

I actually have 2 Bachelors degrees... one in Biology and one in DH. So, I actually had all my prereqs done before I went into DH school. My advice would be to study hard and don't slack. It will be difficult keeping up with prereqs and staying on track with your clinical work in DH school.

I would HIGHLY recommend you take Biochemistry. A lot of dental schools require that particular course, in addition to all the other prereqs.

All the interviews I went to showed me that those schools welcome RDH applicants. PM me anytime! :)

Wow 2 Bachelors! That's awesome. Yea biochem should definitely be on the list. It's actually on the list of required courses to graduate so I'm lucky that I don't have to cram it in there like the Org. chem and physics courses.

I definitely won't slack, I promise lol. It's so exciting having a plan! :)

I believe being an RDH, particularly with a couple of years work experience, will certainly help your application, but it does not excuse you from taking the same exact difficult science prerequisites as everybody else applying to dental school, (and you have to take the "harder" courses, not the chemistry and math classes that are intended for non-science or non-professional track students.)

It certainly couldn't hurt, but I'm not understanding where you are in your education right now. have you already completed a BS program in a science? do you feel your grades aren't good enough to get into dental school? Perhaps if you included more information on your specific situation, you might get more constructive advice from others also, I would say most of the posters on this forum tend to be very helpful.

Hi, I finally registered for this site today. FreeFallin you have such great advice to give those, like myself, who are passionate about going to Dental School. I have a BS in Biology and I am currently attending a technical school to receive a degree in Dental Hygiene. I have completed the pre-req for the DH program and DS. I recently completed a six month internship with a Pediatric Dentist and was offered an on call position as a Dental Assistant Trainee to gain more experience. I must say, I love everything about dentistry. I've decided to become a RDH because I have a 6yr. old son who needs his mommy. I have spoken with several persons who are either dental students, general and pediatric dentist and they have all given me the thumbs up for the path I've embarked upon. I truly believe that with experience, a great GPA, and a good DAT score anyone can do it! Remember, ADCOM also wants candidates who are well rounded. What I mean by well rounded......give back to the community by volunteering with different organizations, and joining organizations while in school (undergraduate). With passion comes success! I am more than confident that I am going to be accepted into DS! Remain positive!