1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Dental Hygiene going onto Dentistry..help!?

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by predentistgurl, Jun 14, 2008.

1. predentistgurl

Hey!!
    I am really confused and any help would be appreciated. I am currently in Bachelor of Dental Hygiene (going onto 2nd year of a 4yr old degree) but am more interested in a more professional career such as dentistry/optometry/med. I have 2yrs of Bachelor of science and am not the GREATEST genius....my GPA is around 3.2 :eek:. Im thinkin of dropping out of Hygiene and returning to my bachelors of science, thinking that the admissions committee would prefer a sciences applicant as opposed to someone who already "chose" thier career path. Any suggestions on what i should do? I really want to go into dentistry, but realize how competitive it is and dont want to lose a career to fall back on like hygiene...but i dont want hygiene to be a reason for my rejection :confused::confused::confused: Also, does anyone know whether the dentistry admissions committee would prefer a applicant with dental hgiene background, as opposed to sciences?? THANKS:rolleyes:

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. blankguy

Dental Student
    Huh? I fail to see how telling them that you were originally going to be a hygienist but had a change of heart and switched to dentistry would hurt you unless you came across as sitting on the fence between the two.

4. Pat Kelly

Pat Kelly New Member

I am in the EXACT same situation as you. I am going into 2nd year BDSc, and wanted to transfer back to Sciences just to finish the a bachelor earlier and apply. I am actually giving serious thoughts about that because the clinic fees for this program is so much more that it's just not worth it.

5. Slutskya

Dental Student
    IMO I don't think having a BS in dental hygiene will hurt you. I'm a dental hygienist that will be starting dental school in the fall. I went to 6 interviews and withdrew post interview offer at about 3 other schools. At each interview, I thought the admissions comm. looked at my dental hygiene experience as a plus. It showed my interest in the dental field. Plus, you'll gain clinical schools that you'll build on when you go to dental school. I have an associates degree in dental hygiene and a BA degree in liberal arts. IMO your major doesn't matter. I think it comes down 3 things: GPA, DAT scores, and interest in dentistry (shadowing for example). This is just my opinion. I'm sure others will share their thoughts with you as well. I wish you the best. No matter what if you want to go to dental school, I'm sure you'll get there with whatever degree you earn.

6. predentistgurl

Thanks for your input guys,

Slutskya, do you think that your dental hygiene expereince and education was a big reason for your many acceptances/interviews from dental schools.....do you think that you would have had to struggle more to get accepted if you hadnt your Hygiene degree? Also, Pat Kelly,i laugh at how similar our situations are lol. What did you decide to do in the end.....or are u still deciding?? Hygiene is NOT a cheeap course:eek:

7. Slutskya

Dental Student
    I definitely think being a hygienist helped me get into dental school. Yet, I would have still pursued dentistry without a hygiene degree. I think anyone who wants to be a dentist can get accepted. A hygiene degree is not a must, but it helps. Without it, I would have done more shadowing and volunteer work at dental offices to show my interest in the profession. Yet, I also must tell you that at all my interviews I was asked about my job as a hygienist, my outlook on dentistry as a hygienist, etc. I didn't have the traditional questions. My interviewers knew I wanted to be a dentist. That wasn't an issue that needed clarification. Hey if you have any other ?'s feel free to PM me. Good luck!

8. Pat Kelly

Pat Kelly New Member

I don't have choice for this year now, because I missed the deadline for transferring between programs, which for my school is in February. Which school do you go to if you don't mind me asking?

9. ttom

Whatever you do, don't quit! Definitely your hygiene background is a HUGE plus! Make sure you score well on your DAT and don't let your GPA slip any further. After that, I think you'll have one heck of an application.
    Dental admins will frown to see you quit the hygiene program. Though I might be wrong, but hygiene and dentist works very closely with each other. Quitting hygiene almost equals to quitting dentistry. I recommend you keep going. Wait 2 more years then apply for dental school.
    Pat Kelly, keep going my friend. Trust me, your hygiene experience will make you stand out! Don't worry so much about the money now, do well in your courses. You'll be very competitive when you have a good GPA, DAT scores, and of course...that hyegiene degree looks pretty :)

10. DentHygienist

Pre-Dental
    Slutskya, I too am in Dental Hygiene school but would ultimately like to pursue a DDS. I plan on completing my Dental Hygiene schooling and working as a Hygienist for a year or two but then would then like to apply to Dental school. In addition, to your Dental Hygiene courses and science pre-requisites needed for Dental Hygiene school plus your B.S. did you complete all the pre-requisites specifically needed for the Dental schools that you applied? Did you have to add additional science courses etcÂ… in order to complete the schools pre-requisites?

11. glassescare

If you are a thire country, it is a little easy, you can do your job time in a big hospital and use their equipment for research.

At the same time you can earn some money.

12. Slutskya

Dental Student
    As far as I understand, the prerequisites for most dental schools are about the same. You need to take 1 year of gen chem, 1 yr of ochem, 1 year of biology, 1 year of physics, and 1 semester of biochem. I know people talk about what schools require biochem. I personally found that most of the 20+ schools I applied to required biochem. That's why I took it this past spring 2008 semester. As far as dental hygiene school goes, I had to take 1 semester of gen biology, 1 semester of microbiology, 1 semester of anatomy, 1 semester of physiology, 1 semester of organic and biochem (mixed course), 1 semester of general chemistry, gen psychology, math, public speech, and English course. I got a BA in liberal arts. Yet, I had several upper division science courses I took at a 4 year university like, Ecology, Botany, Developmental Embryology, etc. After earning my AS in dental hygiene, I got my BA in liberal arts. Then I just needed to finish 1 year of organic chem and 1 semester of biochem. i took these courses at a community college. I hope this info helps.