dental hygienist/MPH... apply to '12 or '13 cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blonderdhmph

10+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
40 views and no reply... :(

I think people either don't know what to advise, or, like me, are jealous that they weren't able to essentially cheat the system by taking "easy" gen chem. I didn't even know an easy gen chem existed.

That being said, I have no idea what to advise.

I would definitely take gen chem 1 and 2 since some schools might not accept the into courses you've already taken. If you decide not to, it is totally possible to teach yourself gen Chem. I took it back in 2004 and remembered absolutely nothing from it when I began studying for the DAT this summer. I still managed to get a 21 in that section.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi blonderdhmph,
I think you could actually apply for the 2012 cycle. For the Gen Chem and O Chem sections of the DAT's, you could use DAT Destroyer and also Chad's videos. Hopes my advise is somewhat helpful. Wish you the Best!!!

If you are only applying to Maryland then take their advice and don't take the Gen Chem courses. Just know it is RISKY to only apply to one school.

As far as preparing for the DAT. take some practice tests and get an idea of what you're in for. The prereqs for dental school are at a much higher level than the dental hygiene prereqs. If you haven't taken a math class in years then not only are you going to struggle in quantitative reasoning, physics is going to be hell!

Taking the DAT in August is going to put you as a late applicant for dental school which is a much more competitive pool than early applicants. You are also going to need more than "a couple weeks" to prepare for the DAT. Start studying today.

Here's the thing, you can definitely apply this coming cycle but it won't be easy. I gave up working months ago because taking O.Chem, Gen.Chem, and Physics at the same time was grueling. Now I just temp on occasion. If you don't have a family or a full-time work schedule then I say go for it!

Another word of advice from RDH to RDH: Don't look at the average stats for the school(s) you are interested in, look at the range of stats. People get into dental school every year with 3.0 GPAs and DATs below 20. Who do you think those people are? People who are above average in work experience and community service. Hmmm... perhaps like a RDH/MPH that has worked in public health?

In my opinion, the best route would be to take the general chemistry sequence. I actually know a professor who teaches a course like the one you are describing, and from what she has told me, it really won't prepare you for the DAT and is really watered down. (Side note: Don't listen to amalgam, you didn't cheat the system, you followed the route that was require for your major.) Here is my suggestion, take gen chem and physics next year. The following year, take ochem and maybe some upper level biology and maybe think about retaking the DAT. After taking the tougher level of chemistry and organic, I would assume you should do very well this time. (Your score isn't bad at all, but if you can do that without proper instruction in the subjects, you should do really well the next time).

Another option, if you have the money to gamble, is to schedule ochem for next year, and apply the Summer of 2011 to Maryland and see what happens.

Good luck. Hopefully this is helpful.

So.... do you you think I should just bite the bullet and teach myself Gen Chem between now and next August... or wait til the next cycle so I could take those courses?

If this is your question, then yes, I would say you are fully capable of teaching yourself. The DAT sections are not too hard. You can take a Kaplan course if you don't feel confident but even without, you should still be fine. I retaught myself g-chem, having it been 3 years since I last took it. If the dental schools accept your chemistries (and you aren't cheating the system), then definitely do not retake. It is a waste of time. In fact, if they do accept them as credit but you still want to take the courses, audit them. That way you don't have to wait to take them sequentially and don't have to worry about busy work and homework and quizzes, which general chemistry has a lot of, and you can worry about taking some upper level sciences instead. So, to your question, yes, definitely teach yourself. Even if you have to take the chemistry courses again if they don't accept it, start teaching yourself now. Just buy those DAT prep books. They will teach you everything you need. A chemistry course will teach you everything you need as well, just a crapload more.

SeattleRDH.... I'm gonna message you my phone number. We should chat on the phone... being in the same boat and all!

In regards to the original post I'm wondering what you did because I feel like I'm in the same boat just a couple years behind lol. I'm 1st year DH and I'll be getting my BSDH. I'm trying to fit org. chem 1 +2 and physics 1+2 into my BS so that I can apply to dental school.
In regards to the biochem we take, do you think it would be accepted across the board by dental schools?
It's so nice to see other people going the DH -> DDM route. It makes me feel like it's actually possible and that I'm not alone :)
Any advice ya'll have would be great, thanks!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.