Dental Hygienist to Dentist

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WiseGuy360

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it tough for a Dental Hygienist to become a Dentist. Having a bachelors in dental hygiene should be able to cover all the pre reqs needed to do well in DAT and please the dental schools? Correct me if wrong...

Members don't see this ad.

It depends on what level of classes yolu took in hygiene school. Some bachelors of dental hygiene still have you do allied health level bio, chem, orgo and biochem. All of these classes need to be college level. Then you need to see what if any thing else the dental schools you are applying to need. Ohio State, where I am going, wanted a year of Bio, year of Gen Chem, year of Orgo, year of Physics along with Psych, Biochem, Micro, and Anat/Phys.

Also, how long ago you graduated from hygiene school should determine if you need to retake classes, as some Detal schools have a time limit on how old the classes can be.

Your hygiene degree, however, IS NOT enough for the DAT. Heck my Bachelor's in Bio wasn't enough. I would dedicate AT LEAST 2 months of studying 2 to 4 hours a day before I would take it. There are threads that tell you what you need to study. I reccommend, Chads videos, Khan Academy, an AP Bio book, and DAT Bootcamp as the minimum to use. To help more, throw in DAT and Math Destroyers.

Good Luck!

Reactions: 1 user