Dental Hygienist to Physician Assistant/Surgical Assistant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ftdoc17

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any Dental Hygienist who changed career paths and became a PA? Were there any additional requirements you needed to take? Does clinic hours for dental hygiene count toward the healthcare experience hours required for PA programs?

Members don't see this ad.

I was a dental hygienist for 11 years. I was recently accepted to PA school and my school accepted my RDH hours as my 10,000+ PCE hours.

I'm not sure what additional requirements you might mean other than the normal prerequisites for PA school.

I was a dental hygienist for 11 years. I was recently accepted to PA school and my school accepted my RDH hours as my 10,000+ PCE hours.

I'm not sure what additional requirements you might mean other than the normal prerequisites for PA school.
I would be interested in talking with you. I am currently dental hygienist and am looking at continuing my education into PA.

Members don't see this ad :)

What bachelors degree did you have when applying to PA program? I’m a dental hygienist and only have my associates of dental hygiene and am not sure if I should pursue bachelors in dental hygiene or in biology.
Your input is greatly appreciated!